Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
> You seem to be conflating anti-virus with internet security offerings.

Incorrect.

All four (4) examples I provided are ANTI-VIRUS products ... that have nefarious, undocumented feechurs that deliberately weaken security in a substantive manner. And the best AV is maybe 20% effective.
You're simply incorrect. The examples you've provided - specifically the products performing a MITM-style attack - are features of these providers' internet security/browser protection products, not of the base anti-virus offerings. The companies you've mentioned publish both kinds of software.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:34 am

Good grief.

3:4 Anti-Virus products I listed INCLUDE undoc'd feechurs that perform MITM against the unsuspecting AV buyer:user ... And they do it poorly, or worse such that it can be exploited by others.

One AV product opens a giant backdoor allowing unauthenticated, remote command execution.

Free-AVG anti-virus at least documents their unsavory snitch ware.

Perhaps I should have omitted mentioning Comodo's browser, as it seems to confuse you.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 18, 2016 at 3:43 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
You're simply incorrect. The examples you've provided - specifically the products performing a MITM-style attack - are features of these providers' internet security/browser protection products, not of the base anti-virus offerings. The companies you've mentioned publish both kinds of software.
Kaspersky's standard "AV only" product does perform SSL/TLS interception and scanning, so gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7 is correct. It can be disabled, though.

I know this because I use it. I did not purchase the Kaspersky "Internet Security" product.

And yes, I have disabled the SSL scanning feature.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried using Privacy Badger for a month or two, but it broke so many websites I decided to go back to Ad Block Plus.

(the profanity filter doesn't like those two words together?!)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
- Will never trust:use Internet Explorer or Edge
Does this mean, that these are on your computer - ie. you use the bloated spyware from Redmond?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Does this mean, that these are on your computer - ie. you use the bloated spyware from Redmond?
One customer requires that I use the mass of spyware named Windows 7 Enterprise.

I failed to mention that I use Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable most of Windows 7 Enterprise spyware.

Everyone running Win 7. 8 or 10 should consider using Spybot Anti-Beacon

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Feb 19, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I tried using Privacy Badger for a month or two, but it broke so many websites I decided to go back to Ad Block Plus.

(the profanity filter doesn't like those two words together?!)
There is a similar product I just saw that may work better. Try the extension Ghostery.

I'm trying it now and it seems to work better. But as always, YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Just reading through this thread again... I didn't actually start it, but it was split from another thread.

Amazing how many posters are no longer with us...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:17 am

> Do you have a specific preference of uBlock over Privacy Badger?

No. (Not yet. <g>) I trust EFF (Privacy Badger & HTTPS Everywhere)

Another advantage of using ad blockers and tracker blockers ... web pages load a lot faster.

The disadvantage is that some web sites refuse service to customers running ad & tracker blocking technology. (Conde Nast, Forbes, etc.)
I found this little gem. It seems to fix the ad block detection by some sites.

http://technewsreporter.blogspot.com...-block-ad.html
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I've been fairly content with AVG Free, but all of a sudden as of a few days ago, it's doing two or three pop-ups a day trying to upsell their various services. Ugh.

I know this is a rapidly moving target but any new opinions on either free or paid AV solutions?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've been fairly content with AVG Free, but all of a sudden as of a few days ago, it's doing two or three pop-ups a day trying to upsell their various services. Ugh.

I know this is a rapidly moving target but any new opinions on either free or paid AV solutions?
I found a new one recently that seems to be working OK. I wasn't getting angry at the sales stuff. These companies have to pay for their freebies somehow. My issue us the overhead and find that some of the products are so intrusive that they were slowing down my system (Intel 4 core system, 8GB RAM, SSD HDD).

But I am out of the country at the moment and it is on my home laptop. Will try to post back over the weekend.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd

I started using Avira Free. I visited some of the review sites on the various free anti-virus/anti-malware products and they seemed to be highly reviewed.

I do not pretend to be an expert on this type of software. I am a long term IT professional who tries to find products that seem to strike a balance between good protection and good system performance.

The Avira software nags you a bit but isn't too bad. My system performance is better.

I also run the free version of Safer-Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy.

Seems to be working pretty well. But I am pretty careful about the sites I visit and what I allow on my systems.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Bump for any new/updated insights on Security Suites that those who have done a deep dive care to share.
Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:46 am

Win 7, 8 & 10 users ... should consider using Spybot's Anti-Beacon software to disable all the logging/reporting of your computer usage.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon

I suggest re-running weekly; or, after every Windows Update, whichever is sooner.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Buy a Chromebook and you won't have to worry about Antivirus software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.