Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Just install Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
Yep! I recall a comparison a couple of years ago which found it was as good as, and in some cases better than, the paid alternatives. And nowhere as obtrusive as say, Symantec/Norton.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mre5765
This. Great application that's free & isn't a systems hog.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda
Ahem. Well, technically an iOS issue and not OSX, but security researchers claim the same flaw exists in OSX and has not yet been patched.
Still safer & easier to use than windows
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
OP: I think that this question would get the best response in the Travel Tech forum.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
OP: I think that this question would get the best response in the Travel Tech forum.
[Emphasis mine.] Agreed. Please follow the discussion over there.

essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ight=antivirus
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ive used Microsoft Security Essentiels, but the RCMP/FBI type viruses override the virus protection. Or maybe I'm using Security Essentiels in error.

Free is best, but I moved onto SpyHunter. But perhaps I'll try some of these recommendations mentioned here.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
the RCMP/FBI type viruses

What RCMP viruses?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by exerda
Yep! I recall a comparison a couple of years ago which found it was as good as, and in some cases better than, the paid alternatives. And nowhere as obtrusive as say, Symantec/Norton.
Originally Posted by gglave
This. Great application that's free & isn't a systems hog.
You might want to read the report linked to in the first post of this now-merged thread:

Security Essentials updates its signature database only once a day, while many paid-for packages run to an hourly schedule. This may partly explain why it stopped only a shocking 67% of zero-day threats in AV-Test’s detection tests, and even missed 10% of more established threats. This isn’t what we’d call peace of mind.

What RCMP viruses?
E.g., http://www.computersquad.ca/remove-R...olice-RCMP.htm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:38 am

I'm wanting to see if there are any other recent experiences/opinions....

My paid version of Norton (which came with a trial with my Lenovo and which I then extended for a year for very cheap for both my and spouse's computer) is coming to an end.

I'm again looking at free versions

Avast, AVG Free, MSE, and ???

Interested in experiences of:

a) Least system-hoggy
b) Least intrusive re popups for upsells and that kind of crap (this would be especially important for spouse's computer)
c) Does a good job blocking/alerting particularly when those nasty attachments to emails get clicked on because they do a good masquerade as a real "invoice" et al.

Thoughts?

TIA!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
a) Least system-hoggy
b) Least intrusive re popups for upsells and that kind of crap (this would be especially important for spouse's computer)
Microsoft Security Essentials.

c) Does a good job blocking/alerting particularly when those nasty attachments to emails get clicked on because they do a good masquerade as a real "invoice" et al.
I know it's extremely difficult, and likely not what you want to hear, but when it comes to these issues they're best addressed through user training.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:28 am

Microsoft Security Essentials.
Even with this disturbing review?
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...ity-essentials

I used it for years and was happy with it, but that review is worrisome.

I know it's extremely difficult, and likely not what you want to hear, but when it comes to these issues they're best addressed through user training.
Good point
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even with this disturbing review?
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...ity-essentials

I used it for years and was happy with it, but that review is worrisome.

Good point
Every AV program has its ups and downs.

Your main defense is always to be aware of what you're clicking.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm wanting to see if there are any other recent experiences/opinions....

My paid version of Norton (which came with a trial with my Lenovo and which I then extended for a year for very cheap for both my and spouse's computer) is coming to an end.

I'm again looking at free versions

Avast, AVG Free, MSE, and ???

Interested in experiences of:

a) Least system-hoggy

Thoughts?

TIA!
A long time ago, I used AVG... then switched to Avast, which I liked even better. Neither was very system hoggy... they both did have their own ways of trying to upsell, which weren't particularly intrusive. Most important for me, they stayed out of the way of legitimate apps. However, the 2014 update for Avast seriously disagrees with my computer for some reason. I ended up having to ditch it. There also seemed to be a loss in some granularity of the controls over which shields you want to run. 2014 seems to be a step back from 2013. I have an ingrained belief against paying for antivirus, dating back to the days when McAfee and Norton ruled the world despite being complete and utter garbage, but Kaspersky has gotten my attention and may be winning me back over.

MSE is garbage. Abysmal detection and removal capabilities. I'd rather have nothing than to have MSE.

If you're not already aware of it, AV Comparatives runs benchmarks of detection, removal, performance, and similar features, if benchmarks are your sort of thing. http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.