Reload this Page >

Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cordelli
Go to this page

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Download the AVG remover, and try to run that. That cleans up stuff the uninstall misses in many cases like registry entries, etc. It should remove all traces.

Full instructions to run it are on this page

http://www.mytechguide.org/7871/how-...avg-antivirus/
Thanks, Mike, I will give it a try.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by HDQDD
To the OP, I'd recommend ESet, Kaspersky, and AVG in that order. Everything else is over bloated crap that will slow your machine down.
I've had terrible experiences with Kaspersky. System crashes, false positives especially. Would not recommend them as a virus scanner to anyone. For what it's worth, their security analytics team is great - far better than the software product.

I've heard good things about F-Secure but never used them.

I personally use Symantec Endpoint Protection (participating in a corporate home use program) and have been very happy with it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Oeste
I personally use Symantec Endpoint Protection (participating in a corporate home use program) and have been very happy with it.
SEP is much worse than Kaspersky. I have SEP on my company laptop, and it does the worst job of any AV system when it comes to CPU and HDD use. When you see that HDD light solid and your machine becomes unresponsive, look at the resource mgr and 99/100 times it's SEP eating up cycles and disk queue. (It should be doing this while the machine is idle).

I run ESet at home, been very happy with that.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: WN
SEP is much worse than Kaspersky. I have SEP on my company laptop, and it does the worst job of any AV system when it comes to CPU and HDD use. When you see that HDD light solid and your machine becomes unresponsive, look at the resource mgr and 99/100 times it's SEP eating up cycles and disk queue. (It should be doing this while the machine is idle).

I run ESet at home, been very happy with that.
I've never had that experience. But I also have a solid-state drive (which means HDD use becomes much less noticeable) and configure SEP myself (rather than use corporate managed). I've never noticed CPU issues with it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
To the OP, I'd recommend ESet, Kaspersky, and AVG in that order. Everything else is over bloated crap that will slow your machine down.
AVG is bloated crap at this point.

Avast is my go-to, after having both used and recommended AVG for home users for many years. Seems much more successful at detecting threats, while steering clear of the tools I often use as a system administrator that are often flagged as malicious or suspicious by overly aggressive AV suites.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL GM
I'm a big fan of Avast free nowadays too. I've been using it for the last 4 years without issues or complaint.

I abandoned Symantec for McAfee, and then McAfee for Avast, because AV software was noticeably affecting performance on machines already running resource-intensive applications.

Only downside to Avast for my use is lack of support for server OS without purchasing the enterprise version and administering via endpoints etc.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Oeste
I've never had that experience. But I also have a solid-state drive (which means HDD use becomes much less noticeable) and configure SEP myself (rather than use corporate managed). I've never noticed CPU issues with it.
I wish I could put an SSD in my work laptop. I have one in my personal laptop and it is amazing.

I write and debug a lot of code, SEP can be so aggressive on the code compilers that I've had to hack the registry to have it exclude scanning certain folders. Otherwise the realtime protection will slow my compiler so much that it gets errors. Unfortunately, our options are all locked out by our enterprise server, so I have to do some rogue workarounds in the registry to make it useable.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL GM
I wish I could put an SSD in my work laptop. I have one in my personal laptop and it is amazing.
I love SSD performance too. I've got a laptop with i7 quad, 32GB memory, and 4 SSDs on-board. I regularly run 10 to 14 VM's for training or demo. Playing around I've had 21 VM's running at once, but no real load on them. The 14 training images are running MS server OS with SQL and some resource-intensive applications. Like you said... it is amazing.

I have to admit though... I'm embarrassed at the looks I get when I pull out that 230 watt power supply in the SkyClub!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AP, MP
The best antivirus is to destroy the LAN port on your PC. Seriously, there are many ways to get into your computer even if you install "n" antiviruses.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:38 pm

What's The Best Free Anti-Virus/Malware Software?

I'm not a techie by any measure, so I was wondering what the best set of programs to use are? Currently I protect my computer with AVG Free, Malaware Anti-Malware, and Spybot Search & Destroy. Is there anything I'm missing, and can I do a whole lot better than that?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:49 pm

I've been a long time user of Malwarebytes and been very happy with it, which you are already using. I know many people in the software business that highly recommend it I would stick with that one and keep it up to date, it has never failed me.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
So you can run all 3? I use Norton (on 1 machine; AVG on another), and Malwarbytesl; all their free versions. Should I get Spybot Search & Destroy to augment security? I am just worried about conflicts such as one of the programs saying it can't complete because of the other program(s).
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MalwareBytes' free version is good but beware that it doesn't do background scanning. You have to manually start a scan when you want to. This is not optimal protection.

I have been using Avast Free for the last few weeks. It's fine, though somewhat obtrusive. I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I use SpyHunter on all my computers. However it doesn't remove the recurring rootkits lately on my laptop. Scratching my head, I'm wondering if there is actually something that can remove the rootkits. I like SpyHunter and really gets the job done, but would like to get some feedback from others who are experts who use this program.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
MalwareBytes' free version is good but beware that it doesn't do background scanning. You have to manually start a scan when you want to. This is not optimal protection.

I have been using Avast Free for the last few weeks. It's fine, though somewhat obtrusive. I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.
Seconded. Does the job with minimal fuss and fanfare.
Of the paid versions I rather like Advanced System Care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.