Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by unmesh
The WR702N seems fine except that the Edimax has two Ethernet jacks that allows it to have a wired LAN in router mode. This may not be useful to you but I've found it useful on occasion when I'm staying with friends and they have a desktop directly connected over Ethernet to their broadband modem.
I ordered the Edimax - two jacks will be handy when visiting friends / relatives with the same setup.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 am

I've been using the mini router by Satechi for a while now and I really like it (http://www.satechi.net/index.php/wir...-client-bridge). It's not as small as some that I've seen over the Internet, but that's because it has two jacks.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by walterj
I ordered the Edimax - two jacks will be handy when visiting friends / relatives with the same setup.
I have a really humiliating confession to make. Everyone was raving about the Edimax and how cute it is and I couldn't resist buying one. It has arrived and I still can't figure out what it does. I travel with a Clear hotspot that gives me wireless Internet wherever I travel in the U.S. I don't really expect anyone to try to explain the ins and outs of routers to me, but did I just buy a cute piece of plastic that is of no use to me? (If it wasn't against the rules of CC, I'd offer to give a couple of club passes to someone who would try to help me understand how to stay connected for a reasonable price when I travel outside the US.). I don't have the technical background to understand most of what appears here but I keep trying.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by workandski
I have a really humiliating confession to make. Everyone was raving about the Edimax and how cute it is and I couldn't resist buying one. It has arrived and I still can't figure out what it does. I travel with a Clear hotspot that gives me wireless Internet wherever I travel in the U.S. I don't really expect anyone to try to explain the ins and outs of routers to me, but did I just buy a cute piece of plastic that is of no use to me? (If it wasn't against the rules of CC, I'd offer to give a couple of club passes to someone who would try to help me understand how to stay connected for a reasonable price when I travel outside the US.). I don't have the technical background to understand most of what appears here but I keep trying.
With your Clear hotspot, you don't need a separate router.

The router is used to share an existing internet connection from a hotel or coffee shop.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Edimax came today. Took me a minute to do an ipconfig to find the router's IP address, and then a quick google search to find the default password -- information that should be provided in the manual, but isn't.

After that, setting it up took no time at all and it works like a charm. A very, very cool device -- and so cute!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Edimax router works when you don't have access to a wireless (as opposed to wifi) connection, but do have access to a wired connection. The best application is when you're in a hotel room with wired internet. The Edimax will connect to the hotel's LAN and then broadcast via wifi to multiple devices -- you only pay for one connection, but can use your laptop, tablet and smartphone all at the same time. Or you can just connect your laptop via wifi, take it to the bed and work or watch streamed videos without being tethered by a wire to the desk.

There are other things you can do with it but, frankly, if you have a mobile hub and travel only in the US, you don't really need it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Do you expect that mode to perform better than using the travel router as a .11n WiFi access point or router when connected to the Ethernet cable?
I think the idea is that Ultrabooks (maybe) and the MacBook Air (definitely) do not have Ethernet ports. There are times when I want to connect to the hotel hardwired Ethernet with my MacBook Air and this will let me do this.

I think you're suggesting that I use the Edimax to connect to the hotel Ethernet and be a Wifi hotspot, thus obviating the need for the USB Ethernet functionality. I think you're right for that use case. There are times where I do want a real Ethernet connection out of my MacBook Air because I want gigabit ethernet (or at least 100mbs) rather than wifi.

I feel like I'm a few days behind the curve here, but I just ordered one. Can't wait to play with it when it arrives.

Hey, can it be used as an Ethernet switch between two computers?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
I think the idea is that Ultrabooks (maybe) and the MacBook Air (definitely) do not have Ethernet ports. There are times when I want to connect to the hotel hardwired Ethernet with my MacBook Air and this will let me do this.

I think you're suggesting that I use the Edimax to connect to the hotel Ethernet and be a Wifi hotspot, thus obviating the need for the USB Ethernet functionality. I think you're right for that use case. There are times where I do want a real Ethernet connection out of my MacBook Air because I want gigabit ethernet (or at least 100mbs) rather than wifi.

I feel like I'm a few days behind the curve here, but I just ordered one. Can't wait to play with it when it arrives.

Hey, can it be used as an Ethernet switch between two computers?
Because of its two Ethernet ports, it can be used as a wired switch; remember to put it into WISP (wireless hotspot) mode even if you don't connect to a hotspot.

If your MacBook Air has a USB3 port, you can buy a USB3-to-Gigabit-Ethernet dongle with full throughput for about $35.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:33 pm

Don't feel bad; I've often bought things and only later tried to figure out what I was going to do with them. For example, I have 3 travel routers and am contemplating buying the Edimax as my 4th
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
My Edimax came today. Took me a minute to do an ipconfig to find the router's IP address, and then a quick google search to find the default password -- information that should be provided in the manual, but isn't.

After that, setting it up took no time at all and it works like a charm. A very, very cool device -- and so cute!
It tells you the default password when you try to access the router - "admin/1234" appears in the password popup.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:35 pm

If your MacBook Air has a USB3 port, you can buy a USB3-to-Gigabit-Ethernet dongle with full throughput for about $35.
The Thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adapter is also quite nice. It is more svelte than my old USB 2.0 gigabit ethernet adapter and is also shorter. I like to leave the usb ports for card readers, usb->phone, or other usb peripherals.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Because of its two Ethernet ports, it can be used as a wired switch; remember to put it into WISP (wireless hotspot) mode even if you don't connect to a hotspot.
Good point, fantastic!

Originally Posted by freecia
The Thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adapter is also quite nice.
I actually have both the old USB2-Ethernet adapter and the new Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter, but am going for maximum multitasking. I don't need to compete with Scott on how much junk I have to haul around!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
I actually have both the old USB2-Ethernet adapter and the new Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter, but am going for maximum multitasking. I don't need to compete with Scott on how much junk I have to haul around!
You can always compare your tech kit to the Woz's
http://gizmodo.com/5926598/the-amazi...ravel-backpack

That usually makes me feel better. On the other hand, he probably isn't stuck back in commercial Y like I fly.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
You can always compare your tech kit to the Woz's
http://gizmodo.com/5926598/the-amazi...ravel-backpack

That usually makes me feel better. On the other hand, he probably isn't stuck back in commercial Y like I fly.
He cheated- half the stuff there belongs to his wife. If I include all the gear my wife drags along, I'd look even worse
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:36 am

I got the Edimax BR-6258n yesterday and I agree - it is pretty versatile.
I tested it in four different configurations and it worked fine for all of them.

I tried
1) Edimax connected wirelessly to Cisco wireless router with a Ipad connected wirelessly to Edimax
2) same as 1 plus a PC connected to the Edimax LAN port.
3) Edimax WAN port connected to cable/modem with Ipad wirelessly connected to Edimax and PC connected to Edimax LAN port.
4) Edimax WAN port connected to Cisco router with Ipad connected wirelessly to Edimax and PC connected to Edimax via LAN port.

I also tried connecting the ipad wirelessly at different distances and it worked in different rooms through walls and floors and even out in the garage.

Nifty device! I'll give it a road test on my upcoming trip to Southeast Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.