FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:29 pm
unmesh

Originally Posted by lensman
I think the idea is that Ultrabooks (maybe) and the MacBook Air (definitely) do not have Ethernet ports. There are times when I want to connect to the hotel hardwired Ethernet with my MacBook Air and this will let me do this.

I think you're suggesting that I use the Edimax to connect to the hotel Ethernet and be a Wifi hotspot, thus obviating the need for the USB Ethernet functionality. I think you're right for that use case. There are times where I do want a real Ethernet connection out of my MacBook Air because I want gigabit ethernet (or at least 100mbs) rather than wifi.

I feel like I'm a few days behind the curve here, but I just ordered one. Can't wait to play with it when it arrives.

Hey, can it be used as an Ethernet switch between two computers?
Because of its two Ethernet ports, it can be used as a wired switch; remember to put it into WISP (wireless hotspot) mode even if you don't connect to a hotspot.

If your MacBook Air has a USB3 port, you can buy a USB3-to-Gigabit-Ethernet dongle with full throughput for about $35.