Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I use my old Apple airport express block which is about 3x3x1" - it automatically recognizes all my devices. Has become less useful now that many hotels switched to h/s wifi but still useful in places that use ethernet cables and the .......s that charge separately for each device.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:30 pm

Edimax Nano much smaller, or just use your laptop as a router

Last edited by daveFLN; Jun 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daveFLN
Edimax Nano much smaller, or just use your laptop as a router
That's what I've been doing. There's a very nice, very stable and reliable program called Connectify that I use. My other wifi devices have no trouble connecting to my laptop.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
That's what I've been doing. There's a very nice, very stable and reliable program called Connectify that I use. My other wifi devices have no trouble connecting to my laptop.
Sorry, but I'd hardly call connectify stable and reliable. There are some computers where it works, but on most machines I've tried, it has been a piece of crap
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by cliburn
Seems like more than a few negative reviews due to Chinese language firmware. Has that been fixed in what is shipping now?
It could be transfer the language to other ones such as English...yet you may get one from Chinese seller who don't know English,lol!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Sorry, but I'd hardly call connectify stable and reliable. There are some computers where it works, but on most machines I've tried, it has been a piece of crap
I've only had experience with one machine, namely my HP laptop. It works perfectly on that.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Krisflyer, Velocity
Originally Posted by freecia
There's an ebay seller who sells TL-WR703N with ddwrt pre-installed and it is just a few dollars more than one without flashed firmware.
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one from this eBay seller, prefect_foryou

There is another one that the geeks here in Australia really love, called the Dovado tiny. Here is the Wiki: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hw_model_1251

and the discussion thread: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1784465

People love it for a variety of reasons, it is 4G, it can power cycle the USB device if the internet dies, and really great customer support for all new modems, and network APNs around the world.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Many businesses are implementing port based security these days. That means that only one MAC per port can transit the switch. Thereby eliminating DIY networks attached downline. Hotels aren't nearly as secure as other networks, but it's getting easier for them to implement this.

I would highly NOT recommend buying a router/switch from a Chinese outfit if you have an expectation of security or privacy. There have been instances where firmware from China was developed to intercept packets and send them to nefarious peeps.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Apple Airport Express

I've used the Apple Airport Express for years. Very easy, straightforward, functional, and solid. Never had a problem. Very convienent when traveling with multiple gadgets and/or family. Can convert one hotel internet "subscription" into multiple wifi users. But, of course, still need a wired Ethernet connection.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssamuels
I've used the Apple Airport Express for years. Very easy, straightforward, functional, and solid. Never had a problem. Very convienent when traveling with multiple gadgets and/or family. Can convert one hotel internet "subscription" into multiple wifi users. But, of course, still need a wired Ethernet connection.
The main reason I never got into the Airport Express is the lack of web based configuration. They have to have the only router in the world that requires an app to configure it. No app means no way to configure it using my Android tablet.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by ScottC
The main reason I never got into the Airport Express is the lack of web based configuration. They have to have the only router in the world that requires an app to configure it. No app means no way to configure it using my Android tablet.
True. In my case I configured it a few years ago via laptop. I've never had to configure it again; even when I switched to iPhone and iPad.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
So how do you get the TL-WR702n running in the hotel with wired internet where you need to authenticate on the welcome page first and subscribe to a selected internet plan?

I have just tried setting it as a router, I can see on the status page that it receives IP address from the hotel properly, however when I open a browser it does nothing...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by stiwi
So how do you get the TL-WR702n running in the hotel with wired internet where you need to authenticate on the welcome page first and subscribe to a selected internet plan?

I have just tried setting it as a router, I can see on the status page that it receives IP address from the hotel properly, however when I open a browser it does nothing...
You could try doing the initial connection and setup of your plan using the laptop directly, then connect the 702N but have it clone the MAC address of your laptop. That should make it appear to the network no different than if your laptop was still there.

Alternately, you could put it in client mode, then reconfigure it as a router (this way it would pick up the MAC address of the router, but it is a pain to do the mode changing)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by quick_dry
You could try doing the initial connection and setup of your plan using the laptop directly, then connect the 702N but have it clone the MAC address of your laptop. That should make it appear to the network no different than if your laptop was still there.

Alternately, you could put it in client mode, then reconfigure it as a router (this way it would pick up the MAC address of the router, but it is a pain to do the mode changing)
I thought about the 1st workaround, as you say it should work.
In a client mode I am not sure if you can achieve this with wired connection. Client mode requires SSID to be provided...

I wrote to TP-Link regarding this as they seem to failed here. It is supposed to be all purpose travel unit so I would be disappointed if they overlooked such issue. TP-Link gets IP properly from hotel ISP, you can even ping external IPs, but typing any URL or IP directly into browser fails (while it should redirect you to startup page to purchase the service).

Folks using Airport Express are reporting that they have no issues triggering the startup page allowing them to purchase internet service and agree to t&c.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by stiwi
TP-Link gets IP properly from hotel ISP, you can even ping external IPs, but typing any URL or IP directly into browser fails (while it should redirect you to startup page to purchase the service)
is the TP-link getting the correct DNS server?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.