Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have this wifi travel router. Very impressed indeed.
Will that connect by wifi to a network, then let you connect multiple devices by wifi, as in the hotspot mode I describe above?

Can you configure it via wi-fi, so that you can use an ipad rather than a pc and ethernet cable?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by richarddd
Will that connect by wifi to a network, then let you connect multiple devices by wifi, as in the hotspot mode I describe above?

Can you configure it via wi-fi, so that you can use an ipad rather than a pc and ethernet cable?
For the first question, this is the datasheet, I think it does what you want in AP mode.

For the second question, I am not sure as I connected a cable to it. This Manual might help. I know I can manage it via the web, but I am not sure about the initial setup having to be done by ethernet. If I get a chance I will give it a go in the next week and feedback.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:48 am

For the first question, this is the datasheet, I think it does what you want in AP mode.

For the second question, I am not sure as I connected a cable to it. This Manual might help. I know I can manage it via the web, but I am not sure about the initial setup having to be done by ethernet. If I get a chance I will give it a go in the next week and feedback.
If I'm reading http://www.edimax.us/html/Faq/BR6258n-WISP.pdf correctly, it can do what I want. It can connect to a hotel wifi network and can act as a router so that you can connect to it with wifi devices.

It's tiny and both highly rated and inexpensive at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315095
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by richarddd
If I'm reading http://www.edimax.us/html/Faq/BR6258n-WISP.pdf correctly, it can do what I want. It can connect to a hotel wifi network and can act as a router so that you can connect to it with wifi devices.

It's tiny and both highly rated and inexpensive at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315095
It is about the size of a tic-tac box, both the power supply and the router itself. I have used it once and I really like it. I might have time towards the end of the week to try setting it up from scratch from wife's ipad.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is about the size of a tic-tac box, both the power supply and the router itself. I have used it once and I really like it. I might have time towards the end of the week to try setting it up from scratch from wife's ipad.
Found it on Amazon for $25 - and ordered! Thanks so much, can't believe I missed this beauty!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069JA7M2...HHCG5YE30WW7J&
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Edimax BR-6258n indeed looks like an ultimate solution. Since it has both WAN and LAN, you probably can also connect wired internet cable to WAN, connect your laptop via LAN (as I still prefer LAN whenever possible) and the rest devices via WiFi.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Found it on Amazon for $25 - and ordered! Thanks so much, can't believe I missed this beauty!

Me too!

Now I also want the tiny USB Asus router mentioned around here.

But what to do with my two Asus WL-330GEs?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curse you for posting this link!

I don't even need this (I hardly travel at all these days, and I have a couple of perfectly competent travel routers), but it just looks so cool I ordered one. It's soooooooooo tiny!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel

I don't even need this (I hardly travel at all these days, and I have a couple of perfectly competent travel routers), but it just looks so cool I ordered one. It's soooooooooo tiny!
Oddly enough, this one might even be better for me than the Asus. It arrives tomorrow - can't wait to use it. And yes, like you, I don't really need it since I use my Verizon hotspot, but it is sooooo cute
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel

Oddly enough, this one might even be better for me than the Asus. It arrives tomorrow - can't wait to use it. And yes, like you, I don't really need it since I use my Verizon hotspot, but it is sooooo cute
My sentiments exactly. I have two Asus WL-330GE's that I never use. This will join them in the drawer.

...but it's so cute! Plus, I'll get that new USB Asus when it comes out. I have so much routing potential!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
My sentiments exactly. I have two Asus WL-330GE's that I never use. This will join them in the drawer.

...but it's so cute! Plus, I'll get that new USB Asus when it comes out. I have so much routing potential!
Do post a review/comparison as you've collected them all!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:49 am

^ I second drbobguy's request. I don't have a traveling router yet but after getting stuck with paying for three people using the wireless on a trip (both daughters and myself) I do want/need one.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got the teensy tiny little Edimax router. It is literally the size of a Tic Tac box, and very light. It's powered by a micro USB connector. The USB charger that comes with it is about the same size as the router and has prongs that fold sideways. When folded, the charger lays perfectly flat.

I am posting this while connected wirelessly to the Edimax, which is connected wirelessly to my home wifi. It was a little wonky at first (required a second reboot) but now seems to work fine. I'm powering it off of a USB port on my laptop (not a high power port).

The web interface is fine...not the friendliest but better than some I've seen. I dove right in to the Advanced Settings and ignored the "Quick Setup" menus.

One thing I note is that the router doesn't seem to let you adjust TTL of routed packets. This could prove problematic for using several devices in a hotel or other place where they check to ensure you're not using several devices behind a router.

I haven't used the Asus wl-330 in a very long time, but I remember its firmware being similar. The Asus came with a nice little carry pouch; the Edimax didn't. The Edimax is also half the size of the Asus, and works with 802.11n while the Asus is 802.11g. On the other hand, I was also able to put Tomato firmware on the Asus. The Edimax has two ethernet ports to the Asus' one ethernet port, allowing you to plug in a LAN client, connect a WAN cable, and have wireless.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
So is this model: Edimax BR-6258nL just the same but even smaller?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-BR-62...dp/B00ADHPP6Y/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like it, but mine has two ethernet ports: a LAN one and a WAN one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.