Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Also you can preconfigure everything at home... All you need in the hotel is to have this router set to router mode. In this mode dhcp is enabled, so no need to mess with anything manually.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:26 am

On my ipad, under settings / wifi, I see wi-fi on/off, the Choose a Network (the list of networks) and Ask to Join Networks on/off.

If I click on a network name, the only setting is Password.

Apple's online manual doesn't show any additional settings
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
On my ipad, under settings / wifi, I see wi-fi on/off, the Choose a Network (the list of networks) and Ask to Join Networks on/off.

If I click on a network name, the only setting is Password.

Apple's online manual doesn't show any additional settings
You have to join a network first, then click > icon to see details of this WiFi connection and there you can set what I wrote above (under STATIC tab).
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 am

Aha. Now I see it

Thanks!

Last edited by richarddd; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:38 am

When you're using the TL-WR702N to connect to hotel wi-fi, can you both use it to provide a password to the hotel router (e.g., a WPA2 password) and to provide a username and password to log onto the hotel network? Some travel routers will only do the second.

I'd like to use the TL-WR702N to connect to hotel wi-fi, then use a few of my devices to connect to the TL-WR702N.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:16 am

When you're using the TL-WR702N to connect to hotel wi-fi, can you both use it to provide a password to the hotel router (e.g., a WPA2 password) and to provide a username and password to log onto the hotel network? Some travel routers will only do the second.

I'd like to use the TL-WR702N to connect to hotel wi-fi, then use a few of my devices to connect to the TL-WR702N.
In this scenario there are two solutions:

1. TL-WR702N connected to WiFi hotel network (client mode). Then your laptop connected to the TL-WR702N via ethernet cable and enable WiFi sharing in your laptop (so your laptop is doing as WiFi router in this case).

2. Buy 2nd TL-WR702N. First one connect to the WiFi hotel network (client mode). 2nd device set in a router mode and connect via (short, e.g. 0.25m) ethernet cable to the first one.

Connect from any device to the 2nd device (router) and you should be able to authenticate via start page and purchase selected package.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:44 am

1) I thought the TL-WR702N had a bridge mode, in which the TL-WR702N connects to the hotel network, then devices connect to the TL-WR702N.
--------

BRIDGE MODE

Definition:The router borrows existing wireless Internet and broadcasts it using a different network name(SSID) and password. This application can create two individual networks for two groups of users sharing one Internet.
--------

Is it not the case that this works as described - TL-WR702N connects to hotel wi-fi, then your devices connect to the TL-WR702N?

2) The second question is how to log on.

2a) In the typical case, the first device to connect to the TL-WR702N, and through it to the hotel wi-fi and then the internet, sees a log-on screen and you enter a username and password to the hotel network to access the internet through that network.

2b) On rare occasions, you have to enter a WPA-2 (or other protocol) password to the hotel router.

Sorry for my confusion.

Picture and description from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704121
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:27 am

You don't assume bad with bridge / repeater mode (almost identical).
The problem with those modes is that hotel's Access Point see how many devices are passing through and each of the device would be assigned IP from hotel's AP, so even despite hotel's AP might see the same MAC address (of TL-WR702N) for multiple devices it might still restrict it to just one IP pass-through...

In bridge and repeater mode DHCP features might no be passed properly from the hotel's AP. For example at home I use one of the TL-WR702N in repeater mode and devices are unable to obtain DHCP IP from my main router (Draytek) - they have to be inserted manually on the devices, while 2nd TL-WR702 is working in AP mode and devices have no issues obtaining IPs and DNS through DHCP.

Because of those issues and the way bridge and repeater modes work, you might not be able to obtain hotel's start page.

What I usually do in the hotels is to set up one TL-WR702N in router mode and plug ethernet cable to it for wired internet access and all devices connect to TL-WR702 via WiFi which assigns them IPs via DHCP.

However since you asked for WiFi, you need two devices. I have quickly googled to double check and found this thread. Looks like I am not the only one thinking like that
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:02 pm

Alas, sounds like this is not the travel router for me. What I'd like is the ability to connect a router to a hotel network (wired or wireless), then connect my devices wirelessly to the router.

Fortunately, most hotels that offer broadband have wifi and allow many connections, so I'm looking for a travel router to fill the gap.

Thank you for the information!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:27 pm

Alas, sounds like this is not the travel router for me. What I'd like is the ability to connect a router to a hotel network (wired or wireless), then connect my devices wirelessly to the router.

Fortunately, most hotels that offer broadband have wifi and allow many connections, so I'm looking for a travel router to fill the gap.

Thank you for the information!
I am afraid you won't find such as router (you would need router with WISP feature but choices are so limited and neither of the compact ones supports it), it is not due to the router but due to the way certain modes work. TL-WR702N will work alone if set in router mode and attach wired internet cable. 2nd device is not required considering the hotel provide wired internet.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:37 pm

The ASUS WL-330N http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320095 seems to do this in hotspot mode

Hotspot Mode

In a coffee shop
It is quite convenient for you to use hotspot (Wi-Fi account sharing) mode of WL-330N when you in a public environment, not only your laptop can get on the internet but you (or your friend's) other WiFI devices (PDA, PSP or WiFi phone) can access the internet without extra cost.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
linksys

the older linksys used to do this, but they are hard to find.
that was a great router though. Maybe Belkin will make a new one again.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:12 pm

The ASUS WL-330N http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320095 seems to do this in hotspot mode

Hotspot Mode

In a coffee shop
It is quite convenient for you to use hotspot (Wi-Fi account sharing) mode of WL-330N when you in a public environment, not only your laptop can get on the internet but you (or your friend's) other WiFI devices (PDA, PSP or WiFi phone) can access the internet without extra cost.
Yes but in this case you can share 3G internet to WiFi devices, not WiFi to WiFi...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have this wifi travel router. Very impressed indeed.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stiwi
Yes but in this case you can share 3G internet to WiFi devices, not WiFi to WiFi...
richardd is correct. The Asus WL-330N (and its older cousin, the WL-330GE) can use an existing wifi network as the WAN and create a separate, NATted wifi network for your devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.