Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Ah, I have a few of those USB-C multiports too. I'd thought you'd had an Ethernet hub powered by USB-C, something like this (which I'm about to buy, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for, but may be useful in certain configs).
Actually, I wonder if that will work plugged directly into the M5 to add additional wired devices to it when using data offloading. I suspect it'll only work for power if at all (and thus you'll need to use one of the RJ45s to plug into the M5) but who knows?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by tmiw
Actually, I wonder if that will work plugged directly into the M5 to add additional wired devices to it when using data offloading?
Easy way to tell is to plug your current USB-C hub into the M5; if you can see that Ethernet port then as 99% of these USB-C Ethernets are RealTek r815X based it'll probably work with this one (as I suspect it's also RealTek based).

My use-case would be to either plug the USB-C end into one of my power adaptors and use it as a switch, or plug it into my laptop and let it provide Ethernet for my laptop from the router, etc., then have three other ports for my other devices I work with devices that require Ethernet to work).

(Remind me to do an lsusb -v tomorrow for you sometime tomorrow late afternoon.)
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Easy way to tell is to plug your current USB-C hub into the M5; if you can see that Ethernet port then as 99% of these USB-C Ethernets are RealTek r815X based it'll probably work with this one (as I suspect it's also RealTek based).

My use-case would be to either plug the USB-C end into one of my power adaptors and use it as a switch, or plug it into my laptop and let it provide Ethernet for my laptop from the router, etc., then have three other ports for my other devices I work with devices that require Ethernet to work).

(Remind me to do an lsusb -v tomorrow for you sometime tomorrow late afternoon.)
Just tried it with a few Ethernet dongles that I have. Unfortunately it looks like the hub gets powered and Ethernet link established but no DHCP, so it seems the USB-C port is for power/USB device only and not USB host.

(BTW, lsusb shows my USB-C hub as having a RTL8153 Ethernet controller.)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:42 pm

Can anyone see when the Wiki in the base note was last updated?

Trying to figure out if that list is being updated or not.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MareLuce
Can anyone see when the Wiki in the base note was last updated?

Trying to figure out if that list is being updated or not.
last updated 16 Jan 2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.