Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can buy the GL iNet AC router for $55 today on sale.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15306385-gl...?src=frontpage
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I love my Slate- I'm using it now!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You can buy the GL iNet AC router for $55 today on sale.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15306385-gl...?src=frontpage
Absolutely love this router. Maybe not the "worlds smallest" but I've locked on this and no longer even really look for other solutions.

Regards
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:58 am

I also am currently using a Slate as I type this. That and the GL.Inet Mango have been great routers for me. Much like scubadu , once I got these I stopped looking. They do everything I need, reliably. I even have a Slate temporarily hosting the office' Guest network while we're overhauling our WiFi APs and routers.

That said, thank you gfunkdave ! I'm buying a third one. I'm always worried that I'm going to break an antenna off in transit. Haven't yet. I also see that some of the other GL-Inet stuff is on sale today as well, such as the Mango.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Price is back to $69.90 on Amazon.

How does this get power? Is it USB? I can't tell in the pics.

I'm still using my ancient HooToo one and it does the trick for long flights, which is my main use case for it. But it looks like this one does much, much more.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still shows $55 for me...
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Still shows $55 for me...
Showing as $55.92 for me, but that 'Includes $13.98 Prime savings'. Same page when not logged in (ie, no Prime) shows the fully $69.90 price.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by josephstern
How does this get power? Is it USB? I can't tell in the pics.
It has a micro-usb plug. You can use an external battery or plug it into a USB outlet or use any power adapter. It does draw up to 6W (just over 1A) under full load so some older USB outlets may not be able to power it.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:08 am

In flight router usage

Originally Posted by legalalien
All routers listed in the Wiki at the top of the thread have the functionality you need: they can connect to a Wi-Fi network, e.g., the inflight or the hotel one, and create a separate Wi-Fi network to which all your devices connect. I haven't flown BA recently, so I can't comment on whether a particular router will work on BA flights. In theory, they all should.

My personal favorite is GL.iNet GL-USB-150 (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-usb150/) - it's compact and easy to use, but full-featured. Unfortunately, it's been sold out everywhere for some time, and it's unclear whether it will ever be back in stock. GL-AR300M (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar300m/) series would be my next choice - similar functionality, but slightly larger and less convenient. GL.iNet devices include built-in VPN and many security features, are based on open-source firmware, and are being constantly updated.

Good luck!

Yes. It has the necessary mode ("hotspot" or WISP), so it should work on BA.
Basic questions here…. What might be the need, or goal, of using a travel router on a flight?

Thx
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bukzin
Basic questions here…. What might be the need, or goal, of using a travel router on a flight?

Thx
The same as it is with using it in any other setting; to share access with multiple devices (not necessarily condoning that)

Regards
bukzin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by bukzin
As mentioned above, the most common use is to share a purchased internet connection among multiple devices, e.g., keeping your phone connected to use messaging and/or social media apps, plus using internet on a laptop for work. Technically, such use may be against T&C.

There are other uses, such as multiplayer gaming with your travel companion(s) or sharing of a personal movie library with the kids' iPads. Some routers come with ability to share files from a storage card, or even with built-in storage.

Personally, I also use a travel router in hotels. Even though hotels frequently allow multiple or unlimited devices to be connected, it takes time to configure laptops, phones, and tablets, especially when traveling with family. Instead, I configure one router and all devices automatically connect to it, since they have been configured previously. I can also turn VPN on on the router, and all devices can take advantage of it without additional settings.
KRSW and bukzin like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:53 pm

Similar thoughts as legalalien . In flight we pay for one connection then let all of our devices (and sometime neighbors) use it.

I mostly use mine in hotels and foreign offices. All of my devices are already paired to my travel router. So when I get to a hotel, I plug in the travel router and let it connect to the hotel's connection (WiFi or hardwired). From there, I sign on to the hotel's login screen with whatever device is convenient (phone, laptop, tablet). Once I've signed in once, I'm signed in for ALL of my devices, even those which don't support captive portal logins (streaming sticks, Alexas, etc.).

There's the whole VPN thing, which I rarely bother with, but it's there. Many people do use them.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:26 am

Just FYI to anyone looking…
The GL-USB150 is available again on amazon, for $22.90:
Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall having the same problem with a lot of these travel routers: they wouldn't broadcast their "private" SSID if they didn't have an internet connection. THat meant that every time I went to a new hotel or airplane with a different wifi network, I had to plug the travel router into my laptop and essentially set it up from scratch. Does the USB150 suffer from this? Or does it always broadcast its SSID once it boots up, so all I have to do is connect to its wifi network and tell it which wifi network to connect to?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I recall having the same problem with a lot of these travel routers: they wouldn't broadcast their "private" SSID if they didn't have an internet connection. THat meant that every time I went to a new hotel or airplane with a different wifi network, I had to plug the travel router into my laptop and essentially set it up from scratch. Does the USB150 suffer from this? Or does it always broadcast its SSID once it boots up, so all I have to do is connect to its wifi network and tell it which wifi network to connect to?
Which ones in particular suffer from this in your experience?

Would be helpful to know...
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.