Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I don't use mine, but I keep it as a backup. Plugged it in this morning, and it seems to come up just fine - kept SSID, all the settings, etc.

Try holding the reset button longer - 30 seconds or so - while the router is plugged in. If that doesn't work, hold down the reset button while plugging the router in, and continue holding it for 30 seconds longer.

Irregular blinking light while Ethernet cable is plugged in means that the router is sending/receiving data packets. Do you see it among active clients connected to your main Internet router? If so, you can try connecting to it by going to the IP address listed in the Internet router client list and using either the default admin/1234 username+password combo or the password you used before to connect to Edimax.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:44 am

Thanks, yep had tried resetting when plugging in, no joy.
I just checked and it's not getting an IP from my router either so I guess that thing must have fried itself somehow, although not to the point of not lighting up at all :-(
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by webvan
Thanks, yep had tried resetting when plugging in, no joy.
I just checked and it's not getting an IP from my router either so I guess that thing must have fried itself somehow, although not to the point of not lighting up at all :-(
Hold the reset button even longer?

GLi.NET USB150 is a great replacement - much more functionality, open-source, expandable firmware - but it's nowhere to be found, unfortunately.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:34 am

Yeah I held it for a minute, thing's dead :-(

I found the 6258n on the cheap, I'll give it a go, I'll try to be more gentle with it than with my first one where the microUSB plug broke off.
legalalien likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:16 pm

So my 6258n came in (running the latest 1.18 FW) and I'm stumped because while everything seems to be working ok in Cable/Wan or Wisp mode, i.e. getting an IP address from the router with the router's IP as the DNS it is NOT able to access the internet. It seems it is not "bridging" between the WAN and the LAN/Wireless. Actually I'm not even sure it's connecting to the internet since the time is not updating properly and I see "connect fail" in the "Security Log".

Has anyone seen that problem before ? Thanks !
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by webvan
So my 6258n came in (running the latest 1.18 FW) and I'm stumped because while everything seems to be working ok in Cable/Wan or Wisp mode, i.e. getting an IP address from the router with the router's IP as the DNS it is NOT able to access the internet. It seems it is not "bridging" between the WAN and the LAN/Wireless. Actually I'm not even sure it's connecting to the internet since the time is not updating properly and I see "connect fail" in the "Security Log".

Has anyone seen that problem before ? Thanks !
Have you tried connecting to another network, e.g., your phone hotspot to see if there is some incompatibility between 6258n networking stack (which is rather old) and your home router?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Is there a captive portal? Try hitting "neverssl.com" in case you're blocked via your browser changing HTTP->HTTPS .
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:58 am

Thanks x2 for pitching in. I gave it another try and...it worked this time, not sure what happened when it wasn't able to "bridge" ! Nice little device and this time I'll be careful not to break the fragile microUSB port. Hope it doesn't go "rogue" like the 6258NL !
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Looking for some info if anyone can assist (Not overly techie, & not a complete novice!)

I'm looking for something that would allow me to connect more than 1 device to BA Wifi. (Main use would be Macbook Air), then secondary phone, laptop etc...

Any recommendations?

** Edit, would this do the trick? https://www.box.co.uk/TL-WR802N-TP-L...n_1719432.html **

Last edited by Thrifty Scotsman; Sep 3, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Looking for some info if anyone can assist (Not overly techie, & not a complete novice!)

I'm looking for something that would allow me to connect more than 1 device to BA Wifi. (Main use would be Macbook Air), then secondary phone, laptop etc...

Any recommendations?
All routers listed in the Wiki at the top of the thread have the functionality you need: they can connect to a Wi-Fi network, e.g., the inflight or the hotel one, and create a separate Wi-Fi network to which all your devices connect. I haven't flown BA recently, so I can't comment on whether a particular router will work on BA flights. In theory, they all should.

My personal favorite is GL.iNet GL-USB-150 (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-usb150/) - it's compact and easy to use, but full-featured. Unfortunately, it's been sold out everywhere for some time, and it's unclear whether it will ever be back in stock. GL-AR300M (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar300m/) series would be my next choice - similar functionality, but slightly larger and less convenient. GL.iNet devices include built-in VPN and many security features, are based on open-source firmware, and are being constantly updated.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
** Edit, would this do the trick? https://www.box.co.uk/TL-WR802N-TP-L...n_1719432.html **
Yes. It has the necessary mode ("hotspot" or WISP), so it should work on BA.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by legalalien; Sep 3, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
My personal favorite is GL.iNet GL-USB-150 (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-usb150/) - it's compact and easy to use, but full-featured. Unfortunately, it's been sold out everywhere for some time, and it's unclear whether it will ever be back in stock.
Currently offered on Amazon AU if you’re down under; perhaps that means it will come back to the US sometime?
legalalien likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 4, 2021 at 8:46 pm
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I have to "Me, three" the GL-iNet USB-150 - but when I tried to give a link, it's sold out. I pair it with one of those cheap travel rechargers and it'll run for 12H+ on one of those and the whole thing fits in my B&O H7's case.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I have to "Me, three" the GL-iNet USB-150 - but when I tried to give a link, it's sold out. I pair it with one of those cheap travel rechargers and it'll run for 12H+ on one of those and the whole thing fits in my B&O H7's case.
Looks like one may be able to order these from Alibaba ... I've nt tried to contact the supplier, but if a bunch of people are interested we could see about ordering some...
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Looks like one may be able to order these from Alibaba ... I've nt tried to contact the supplier, but if a bunch of people are interested we could see about ordering some...
They seem to have a whitelabel version of it .. FT-branded Router, anyone?
MareLuce likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by legalalien
They seem to have a whitelabel version of it .. FT-branded Router, anyone?
I'd likely want 2 r 3 ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.