Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
OK, so I picked up a Buffalo WMR-433W from Yodobashi on the way home from the office.
A week and 3 further hotels later, and my feelings for this router are pretty much exactly what I expected them to be - the router itself is good, the hotels themselves not so much...

The problem is that other than the first hotel I stayed at, none of them have had 5Ghz wifi. One hotel in Kyoto had wired internet, so I could still run the router on 5Ghz (and managed to get around 90Mbps with speedtest). The other two (in the US) both had no wired connection, and only 2.4Ghz, so I had to drop the router back to 2.4Ghz, which means I lost 5Ghz on the client side too.

The interface still sucks in terms of functionality, but at least now I've learnt what all the options do (even though they are labeled in Japanese) I can work my way through them without any issues.

Stability has been fine, even when left running for several days. All up, worth every cent of the US$13 I paid for it (although apparently I overpaid - BIC Camera had them for about $1 cheaper!)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:08 pm

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this question. Forgive me, I'm not very tech savvy and was a bit confused by some of the previous posts. I'm looking for a recommendation for a relatively low-cost travel router to replace the one I think I left behind in a hotel room (that was the Netgear PR2000).

I'm looking to take a hotel's wifi signal and share it with other devices as most of the rooms I stay in don't seem to have cable connections any more. I've got an Apple TV (4th edition), which doesn't have a web browser so I can't connect directly to any hotel wifi without calling their IT (not worth the hassle for a 1 night stay). I also like to be able to connect multiple devices to wifi where the hotel has a cap on the number of devices in a room. A friend of mine recommended the Hoo Too, but sadly it doesn't ship to Canada.

Any recommendations for something that suits my needs?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the GL.iNet GL-AR300M-Lite this weekend. Setup wasn't too unusual and it does rebroadcast Wifi with another SSID, which is what I need.

Speed definitely takes a hit going through this, but it's acceptable.

So far so good.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA-PlatinumPro, Hilton-Diamond, Marriot-PlatinumElite
Slightly off topic but related... GoGoInflight sharing

I’ve been using a HooToo device on planes to share my Wi-Fi with all my devices.
I just had to replace it with the newer RavPower WD03, pretty much same thing.
My last two flights though wouldn’t connect to GoGo on the device. Can’t tell why and can’t see any useful info in it.
Anybody else try this?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
One thing I do in hotels especially if I need to share a wireless connection for a Chromecast or Apple TV is I boot up my laptop and use the built in windows internet connection "mobile hotspot". This allows my laptop to run as a router and share the connection to the other devices. Surprisingly, it works flawlessly and doesn't require to call the help desk and register Mac addresses, etc. For the small amount of time that I may need it, it is easier than the hassle of getting it set up with the help desk. Plus, nothing else to carry!

Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by leeinct
One thing I do in hotels especially if I need to share a wireless connection for a Chromecast or Apple TV is I boot up my laptop and use the built in windows internet connection "mobile hotspot". This allows my laptop to run as a router and share the connection to the other devices. Surprisingly, it works flawlessly and doesn't require to call the help desk and register Mac addresses, etc. For the small amount of time that I may need it, it is easier than the hassle of getting it set up with the help desk. Plus, nothing else to carry!
On Win10?

Can one do this when logged in on WiFi on the laptop - then again share the connection - or does your laptop have WWAN/wireless broadband?

Apparently, on Win7 and Win10 I found:

https://www.dummies.com/computers/op...-in-windows-7/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mobile-hotspot

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-dcac86d98fb9

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 21, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I posted a little ways up about sharing connections - post 596. I use software called Connectify on my machine. Last I knew you needed two interfaces - one to connect to the WiFi or wired connection you want to share and one for your devices (Chromecast, Fire TV, etc) to connect to. This may have changed since I last looked into it, but Connectify plus a cheap USB WiFi adapter from Amazon has worked well for me. Connectify is $15 and the USB WiFi adapters look like they're down to abot $8 on Amazon now.

Last time I tried getting things set up using just Windows built-ins (i.e. no Connectify) it was complicated to set up and I never got it working right. I haven't looked in a while, so I'm not sure what Microsoft might have improved in the meantime. But if you have trouble, Connectify and a small USB WiFi adapter might be worth trying.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
apple has a pocket sized "repeater" that I use in hotels Works great
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
I recently bought a HooToo TM02. Was able to set up on my home and work networks to test it out and it worked great. I tried to set it up at a Westin hotel and the unit couldn't see any WiFi networks at all. Both my iPhone and Mac laptop could see over 20 networks, but HooToo saw zero. I even turned my phone into hotspot mode and the HooToo couldn't see that either when at the hotel, but could see it subsequently from a different location. Any thoughts on why that would be happening? Does it get confused when there are too many networks within range?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty strange - never had that behavior with mine. Has it worked since?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 am

Yes, I tried it this morning at work and it sees the networks again. Just wouldn't see anything at the hotel last night after multiple attempts and several factory resets. Super strange. I even tried several different USB power sources.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajhun9
Yes, I tried it this morning at work and it sees the networks again. Just wouldn't see anything at the hotel last night after multiple attempts and several factory resets. Super strange. I even tried several different USB power sources.
Did you have ethernet connected at the time?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:54 pm

No, I've only tried using wireless
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it only works with 802.11b/g/n and it only does 2.4 GHz. So maybe all of your available networks were AC or something? I'd doubt that a hotel, but it's possible.

But using your phone as a hotspot should have produced something in range, I'd think.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

I’m going to try again at the hotel tonight and see if the outcome is different. If not, I will return it and try out a different router.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.