Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by eddiekk
So I've done some testing over the past couple of days and here are my findings.

The security hole is still present in 3.0.0.41. Also, I couldn't get AP/bridge mode working on this firmware version (not even in USB network adapter mode).

I ended up downgrading to 3.0.0.20 (downloaded from here) which doesn't have the security hole and which also allows manually choosing AP/bridge mode (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

For those of you wondering, AP/bridge mode is when the adapter bridges the external LAN/WiFi network to the internal network without interfering, putting DHCP and or NAT in between. It's basically as if you would connect your PC directly to the LAN/WiFi without the Asus adapter in between.

Initially I had some issues accessing the web GUI after downgrading the firmware, so I ended up upgrading and then downgrading FW again, resetting settings to default afterwards. Second time around everything worked well.

I made a small connection guide for the modes I would use the most that I put on my device for ease of use. The how to steps are valid for the 3.0.0.20 firmware.

...pic removed...

Attached is the spreadsheet if you'd like to print one for yourself.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20how-to.xlsx

I also scratched off the supervisor code on the device itself for added security.

...pic removed...

One thing that I couldn't get working on 3.0.0.20 is the "LAN to USB & Wifi mode" but this mode is not important to me.
So... I just got one of these. I am on firmware 3.0.046. The Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp page is still there, but no commands seem to do anything. Typing anything in and hitting refresh just returns to the None response. Is this hole fixed? Should I downgrade to 3.0.0.20?

I have it set up on my wireless connection and it seems to be working, but I haven't tried on a captive portal yet. It's a nice tiny little router, though.

Last edited by penner42; Nov 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Update: I went ahead and returned the one I bought. I wasn't happy with the performance even when it worked, so I wasn't going to try to flash OpenWRT to fix what might have been a hardware/WiFi firmware issue.

The D-Link model that has a battery and supports 802.11ac is promising though. Any thoughts on that one?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by tmiw
The D-Link model that has a battery and supports 802.11ac is promising though. Any thoughts on that one?
See my previous post.

I've been using HooToo TM-03. If you're interested in my dust collecting DIR-510L, make an offer.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:36 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread. But I want a router with WISP functionality and i went through most of the recent posts of the thread. I had decided to get the Edimax 6258NL but that seems to be not available anywhere. Amazon does have the Edimax 6248N (older model) but not sure if I should go for that. I want to connect to a wifi which gives me splash page to enter user id and password for me to access it (xfinitywifi).

I also see Hootoo Nano tripmate also being mentioned but I am not able to find clear information whether it supports the WISP mode and can also show me splash page.

Anyone has suggestion on which small router I should get ?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rak007
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But I want a router with WISP functionality and i went through most of the recent posts of the thread. I had decided to get the Edimax 6258NL but that seems to be not available anywhere. Amazon does have the Edimax 6248N (older model) but not sure if I should go for that. I want to connect to a wifi which gives me splash page to enter user id and password for me to access it (xfinitywifi).

I also see Hootoo Nano tripmate also being mentioned but I am not able to find clear information whether it supports the WISP mode and can also show me splash page.

https://nerdtechy.com/best-portable-...el-wifi-router

Not sure how real this site is: TP-Link N300 seems to have WISP
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

The ne that started this thread (forget the model #) will do what you want.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro

HooToo Nano does have the WISP mode. So do HT-TM03 (my router of choice) and HT-TM05 models. RAVPower FileHub+ is a good choice, too. FileHub+ is a newer model, and has a faster processor.

I have the 6258NL, but tend to leave it at home. HT-TM03/05 and RAVPower FileHub+ have the advantage of being powered by an internal battery, which can also charge my phone in a pinch, and also can stream movies from a uSD card to connected devices. The trade-off, of course, is the slightly larger size.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
HooToo Nano does have the WISP mode. So do HT-TM03 (my router of choice) and HT-TM05 models. RAVPower FileHub+ is a good choice, too. FileHub+ is a newer model, and has a faster processor.

I have the 6258NL, but tend to leave it at home. HT-TM03/05 and RAVPower FileHub+ have the advantage of being powered by an internal battery, which can also charge my phone in a pinch, and also can stream movies from a uSD card to connected devices. The trade-off, of course, is the slightly larger size.
I have the Edimax 6258N and RAVPower FileHub+. I prefer the Edimax for network and FileHub+ for moving about files from SD Card to USB without a laptop. You'll notice a few reviews of the stock HooToo and RAVPower units mention there are security issues. Even after upgrading the firmware to close off telnet and update passwords, it is just not that secure https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B016ZWS9ZE https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B016ZWS9ZE. The utility of the FileHub+ is great for transferring SD Card <-> USB and sharing media via SMB. They do periodically update the firmware but if you don't actually need to stream or read SD cards, a simpler device might be appropriate.

If I were to get a new travel router today, I'd probably take a look at Gli.net GL-USB150 https://www.gl-inet.com/usb150/ and GL-ARM300MD https://www.gl-inet.com/ar300m/ which comes with OpenWRT installed and handles WISP. It also supports OpenVPN

OpenWRT WISP setup
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
When did gl-ar300md happen? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dual band dual ethernet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been hunting for this for years!!!!!

Many years!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's already out of stock
penner42 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975

Look at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dual band dual ethernet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been hunting for this for years!!!!!

Many years!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the GL-AR300M and like it a lot more than the Asus one I had been using. A lot more power and control. Bigger, but still pretty small. Not dual-band wireless, though, of course.

It's really nice that I can flip a switch on the router and it starts routing all my traffic through a VPN. And going to the config page, I can select multiple different VPNs, including having it route all my traffic through my home internet connection. And of course, WISP mode, using multiple devices on one Gogo connection, works great.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by chx1975
[...]
Not even showing up on Amazon. I was about to speculate that there will be more readily available in a couple months, but the comments of "just for hobbyists to play with" suggests that it may remain a limited run.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:11 pm

On their forum it sounds like they've stopped producing the gl-ar300md, and that they'll release a new dual band router soonish.
freecia likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have a sense how much more CPU power the GL-AR300N vs. the GL-MT300N? I'm looking at getting one or the other, and thought the SD card slot might be more useful than the much smaller internal NAND on the AR -- but they're clearly marketing the AR300N as the more powerful device.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:03 pm

The closest thing I can offer to a benchmark is https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/benchmark.openssl which lists BogoMIPS and SSL crypto performance for various CPUs including the AR9344 and the MT7620 used in these GL routers

It is possible that the memory and storage systems in the two routers offer more of a difference than the CPUs themselves
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unmesh
The closest thing I can offer to a benchmark is https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/benchmark.openssl which lists BogoMIPS and SSL crypto performance for various CPUs including the AR9344 and the MT7620 used in these GL routers

It is possible that the memory and storage systems in the two routers offer more of a difference than the CPUs themselves
Thanks!

Doesn't look like a big difference, although the variance among MT7620 models seems quite a bit higher (is MT7620A vs MT7620N significant?) than there is between the AR9344.

Has anyone tried a RaspPi3 or Tinkerboard as a travel router? It's a hair bigger, but for hotel room VPN use, it may be small enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.