Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:38 pm

Good price but limited expandability at 2MB flash if you're into that sort of thing. I'd recommend the Nexx WT3020 for approx $16 at Aliexpress with 8MB and 300N WiFi
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:27 pm

Hey folks, I have the edimax 6258n. Over the last years, its become a little unpredictable in terms of randomly dropping connections. One issue with this in WISP mode is I can't change the channel of broadcast and their support told me this may be an issue if the hotel broadcasts on the same channel. Are there recommendations on a replacement that does allow me to change WISP broadcast channel and is still more or less similar in size to the 6258n? thanks
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you get a router with two separate radios you will always have to broadcast your SSID on the same channel as the wireless network from which you're taking service.

It causes no interference issues to do this; the 802.11 wifi standards dictate how devices filter out this kind of interference. The support person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:31 pm

gfunkdave is right.

My interest in two radios was that, if i forgot to disconnect from the uplink wireless LAN before shutting the router down, the device would not subsequently broadcast the local SSID in a location where it could not connect to the uplink. So I now have a travel router that runs OpenWRT and a USB wireless dongle to provide the second radio.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:18 pm

Ah, thanks about the dual radio clarification.

Let me rephrase the rest:

Man bored of toy. Toy bad at times. Man wants new toy. Toy must be small. What man buy? Mostly, man want new shiny toy.
thanks
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: wfc
I think we have a winner.

http://TinyHardwareFirewall.com

The new napoleon. It fits on a keychain.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Is there a way to share an inflight connection between two iPads? I had bought the HooToo router (http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmat...ss-router.html) hoping to do that, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. I'd like to be able to share the wifi connection with and between two iPads without the need for a laptop. Is it doable?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by dingo
Is there a way to share an inflight connection between two iPads? I had bought the HooToo router (http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmat...ss-router.html) hoping to do that, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. I'd like to be able to share the wifi connection with and between two iPads without the need for a laptop. Is it doable?
Yes, it's possible. Look for the "Bridge Mode" section of the manual and follow directions. Your laptop and iPads will all connect to the Wi-Fi network created by the router, which will in turn connect to the inflight Wi-Fi network and share it. You can use one of the devices to get the login page and pay for access.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by legalalien
Yes, it's possible. Look for the "Bridge Mode" section of the manual and follow directions. Your laptop and iPads will all connect to the Wi-Fi network created by the router, which will in turn connect to the inflight Wi-Fi network and share it. You can use one of the devices to get the login page and pay for access.
Thanks; I've tried but I must be too dense. I had got it to work fine at my office using my laptop connecting to a Wifi network with just a password. When I tried on my most recent flight with just my ipad and iPhone, I cannot get it to work for me.

You sure it will work with just an iPad and iPhone?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've had some real trouble lately with inflight systems, trying to get more than one device to work, with one router.. I've tried spoofing the MAC of the main device, obviously routing around the main computer, but I have trouble on united and some gogo flights getting more than one device online.

What I have been doing is using my laptop as a router, with the external providing WIFI to the laptop via USB.. it's a work around and annoying.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:37 am

Apparently the providers are trying different techniques to prevent people from using a router to make a shared connection. One is looking for the value of a field called TTL which is usually decremented by one when a packet goes through a router. Alternate firmware like Tomato and OpenWRT will let you configure the router to not do this decrement.

I have not specifically tried this workaround with inflight systems so YMMV.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Card, Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Wifi Extender to Permanently ByPass Hotel Login Page?

Based on the recommendation in this forum (thx flyertalk!) I bought one, then another EDIMAX BR-6258nL travel router. I use one in a remote storage facility that has some of my valuables. A Freedompop cell phone (free data up to 500Mb per month) provides a cellular data connection, which the Edimax then picks up and allows a Foscam IP camera (security camera) to monitor. If motion is detected, I get an email alert. I can't log in remotely to this camera with this method but it's better than nothing. For some technical reason, my IP cameras (all Foscam) are unable to log in to my cell phone's wifi hotspot directly -- the Edimax solved this problem. A Cradlepoint MBR-95 router with "wifi as WAN" capability previously solved this problem. This may or may not be the same as WISP routers...

The second Edimax router logs into Xfinity hotspots in two vacation houses that I own, that have no internet access. This is similar to logging into a hotel's login page for wifi access: I have to enter login credentials to access the Xfinity network (I am an Xfinity subscriber at my main house). The Edimax router works great for this purpose, but only for a day or two. After a day or so, I have to reset it by logging into the admin page and going through the steps of reconnecting to the Xfinity wifi signal.

For the vacay houses, I'd like to have a router that permanently connects to the Xfinity wifi signal and does not need to be reset every day or so. Ideally I'd set up the router, connect it to the Xfinity wifi signal (and log in that first time); and then it would stay connected, broadcasting its wifi signal for weeks and even months without needing to be tended to. This would allow me to use the Foscam IP cameras that are in the house now, which are currently running on wifi hotspots connected with the MBR-95 router. The wifi hotspots have a bit of a cost, about $20 per month; if I could find a router that does the same thing as the Edimax BR-6258nL -- but more permanently -- then that would be cool.

If anyone on this forum has tested other travel routers and they seem to keep connected and working for days at a time, I'd appreciate hearing

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:58 pm

I have a bunch of different travel routers but have never left any of them connected for days at a time because I use them for, ahem, travel!

I'm wondering if Xfinity is kicking the router off as a WiFi guest after a while rather than the router giving up. I'm a Xfinity customer but don't use their supplied WiFi router otherwise I would run a test as a WiFi guest for you.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Card, Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks unmesh. I did post my question on a travel forum, which doesn't make sense except that there are so many experts here...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:35 am
esp
Suspended

I just received an d-link dwr-932 mifi router. Weighs about 90 g (~ 3.5 ounces) and is about 7.5 x 7.5 x 1.5 cm.

Not top-of-the-line feature-wise, somewhat short battery life, and it won't work in the US. But it'll do for my European travel and I got a good deal on it (60 € AI).

Can somebody recommend something similar for the US? Should work with T-Mobile prepaid. I need LTE, but not the highest speeds (i.e., 150/50 would be fine). 5 h of battery life is sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.