Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Which ones in particular suffer from this in your experience?

Would be helpful to know...
As I recall it was a Hootoo router. And I think an Edimax one. It was several years ago; probably lots has changed.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
None of the GL-iNet devices (and I have several) suffer from the issue you'd mentioned, GFunkDave.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I recall having the same problem with a lot of these travel routers: they wouldn't broadcast their "private" SSID if they didn't have an internet connection.
I don't have a 150, but I have the GL-AR750S-EXT (Slate) and GL-MT300N-v2 (Mango). Both use a very similar interface. They work perfectly fine without an internet connection and I've used them as temporary isolated networks.

For kicks, I decided to try my travel router at the office I'm currently in today. Everything was done via WiFi from my Macbook:

Powered on, connected with my Macbook and went to the router's webpage. Note there are no "internet" connections lit up on the page and it's asking me below the graphic to choose a method. I clicked the SCAN button under Repeater.

So it scanned and gives me a list of SSIDs it sees, or I can type one:

...and I'm connected. Note in the graphic it now shows that I'm connected to a network via WiFI. Below the graphic it shows the nitty gritty.

To me, the best feature is the Saved Networks. Just like your phone it remembers previously-seen networks and will automatically connect if it sees it again:

This is my backup travel router, but with my main travel router, I have so many hotels memorized that I rarely have to manually connect the router.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
None of the GL-iNet devices (and I have several) suffer from the issue you'd mentioned, GFunkDave.
Can vouch for the GL-iNet devices. They've been great for travel router purposes, and broadcast their SSID with or without an active internet connection.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I remember now. I flashed it with OpenWRT and that's when it didn't work. I think. It's been several years.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
Just FYI to anyone looking…
The GL-USB150 is available again on amazon, for $22.90:
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-US...dp/B06XTXKRMY/
Ordered one to add to my collection of travel routers. And I'm not even traveling because of the pandemic
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:41 pm

Oh, I remember now. I flashed it with OpenWRT and that's when it didn't work. I think. It's been several years.
Good old days!

I had found a script that would flush the WAN config in OpenWRT in these situations!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by legalalien
I'm not the OP, but I did get a GL-USB150 on Amazon and have taken it on a few trips. So far, I find it a very worthy successor to the good old Edimax router.

​I had no issues connecting to various United, Hilton, and Hyatt networks in WISP ("repeater" in GL.iNet terminology) mode. I have also tried it with various open networks around, and I found that it sometimes it had trouble listing all available networks in very crowded environments, but refreshing the search once or twice would work and the right network would appear. I had no issues with frequent disconnects reported by some Amazon reviewers.
I just bought a GLi GL-AR750S-EXT and connected it to a home network without any problems.

I then tried to connect on a United international flight (a 789) to the UnitedWifi.com page, but even though the router showed as connected to the United Wifi, with IP and DNS, etc. - it still wouldn't connect with my 2 Android phones, using both Opera and Firefox.

No idea why not. I didn't bother trying with my laptop, but the direct to phone wifi purchase went through okay with one of the phones and I remained online for the 14-15 hour flight.

It would have been nice to share the connection, but this time I really didn't need it.

However, would prefer to have all my devices online without the hassle of logging out and signing on each, one at a time...

Any hints on how this is done - or should I try a different router? (This is the Panasonic system, but United is using a different interface which fails a lot - my outbound flight had no working wifi, despite a hard reset)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by bukzin
Basic questions here…. What might be the need, or goal, of using a travel router on a flight?

Thx
To connect multiple devices at the same time without having to pay 2x , 3x, etc...
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought a GLi GL-AR750S-EXT and connected it to a home network without any problems.

I then tried to connect on a United international flight (a 789) to the UnitedWifi.com page, but even though the router showed as connected to the United Wifi, with IP and DNS, etc. - it still wouldn't connect with my 2 Android phones, using both Opera and Firefox.

No idea why not. I didn't bother trying with my laptop, but the direct to phone wifi purchase went through okay with one of the phones and I remained online for the 14-15 hour flight.

It would have been nice to share the connection, but this time I really didn't need it.

However, would prefer to have all my devices online without the hassle of logging out and signing on each, one at a time...

Any hints on how this is done - or should I try a different router? (This is the Panasonic system, but United is using a different interface which fails a lot - my outbound flight had no working wifi, despite a hard reset)
Things to check:
1. Did your devices have a local IP address in the router's LAN subnet?
2. Is the router's LAN subnet the same as the one that United's system assigns? They need to be different.
3. United may be trying to sniff out people who are using their own router like you are and block them. See if your router has an option for "TTL" or "TTL decrement". Set it to zero and see if that helps.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:13 am

Things to check:
1. Did your devices have a local IP address in the router's LAN subnet?
2. Is the router's LAN subnet the same as the one that United's system assigns? They need to be different.
3. United may be trying to sniff out people who are using their own router like you are and block them. See if your router has an option for "TTL" or "TTL decrement". Set it to zero and see if that helps.
I should have posted while in-flight!

Subnet appears to be different. Luckily one of my phones had the page still available:

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 8, 2021 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:37 am

it still wouldn't connect with my 2 Android phones, using both Opera and Firefox.
What's "still wouldn't connect" mean? No pages would load? Not even the portal page? Did you authenticate to United on a device after you'd connected the device to the GL-150? Next time, go into "Advanced" and turn off "DNS Rebinding Protection".
legalalien and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:40 am

What's "still wouldn't connect" mean? No pages would load? Not even the portal page? Did you authenticate to United on a device after you'd connected the device to the GL-150? Next time, go into "Advanced" and turn off "DNS Rebinding Protection".
Nothing would load after connecting either of 2 Android devices to the Slate/Gli-750s...

No portal page, nothing...
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:44 am

Yeah, bet it was the DNS Rebinding protection. You could get to the USB-150's admin pages on both devices, right?

... or- and while many on the GL-iNet forums consider this a "feature", I hate it- VPN connections persist after reboots, and there's been times I wonder why I can't connect, only to realize my last session had VPN on and I'd forgotten to turn it off.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:47 am

Yeah, bet it was the DNS Rebinding protection. You could get to the USB-150's admin pages on both devices, right?

... or- and while many on the GL-iNet forums consider this a "feature", I hate it- VPN connections persist after reboots, and there's been times I wonder why I can't connect, only to realize my last session had VPN on and I'd forgotten to turn it off.
I'm using the Slate.

No VPN profile set - brand-new out of the box and downloaded the latest firmware for the Slate before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.