Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Are you using an actual VPN or a DNS service, which is more of a proxy? I watched The Abominable Bride and Doctor Who just last week, using Tunnelbear as my VPN.

I just checked and I am watching Doctor Who on BBC's iPlayer as I type this.

I am using a proper VPN
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by FN-GM
I am using a proper VPN
Location services sharing your (actual) location?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Location services sharing your (actual) location?
Thought that but I VPN'ed from the UK to a UK server and it did it as well.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
BBC iPlayer Working for me in the UK, using a UK server of PIA. Fails if I switch to a NL server.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Are you using an actual VPN or a DNS service, which is more of a proxy? I watched The Abominable Bride and Doctor Who just last week, using Tunnelbear as my VPN.

I just checked and I am watching Doctor Who on BBC's iPlayer as I type this.

I should have mentioned I was using a VPN from my Canadian home.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So it sounds like Netflix is blocking known blocks of IP addresses from VPN providers:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016...-can-evade-it/

Easily circumvented they say.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:33 pm

what's the best VPN for streaming Netflix or HBO while travelling outside of the US?

what's the best VPN for streaming Netflix or HBO while travelling outside of the US? I don't mind paying a little extra if the VPN has real good speed and no usage limits.

I will either use it on my Macbook Pro or Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet.(or perhaps S7 phone)

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:22 pm

I am based in China, so I use a paid VPN all the time. As of a few months ago, Netflix is blocking VPN's, so it is not possible to access Netflix that way. Almost all countries now have Netflix though, so if your content is available, you will still be able to watch.

I am not sure about HBO and VPN's.

Generally, the VPN's that are seen as the best are Astrill, ExpressVPN, Vypr etc.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jah718
I am based in China, so I use a paid VPN all the time. As of a few months ago, Netflix is blocking VPN's, so it is not possible to access Netflix that way. Almost all countries now have Netflix though, so if your content is available, you will still be able to watch.
I'd be cautious about assuming your experience is universal. I was in a foreign country week before last and the VPN I utilized streamed US Netflix content just fine.

Keep in mind, China is likely very, very high on Netflix's "target" list.

Regards
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I just tried it here in Canada. Streams fine using a VPN.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by jah718
I am based in China, so I use a paid VPN all the time. As of a few months ago, Netflix is blocking VPN's, so it is not possible to access Netflix that way.

Thanks!

I find it amusing that Netflix is successfully blocking the use of VPN,
while the government of China hasn't found a way to block it yet.

Do most people in China use VPN to access YouTube?(both watching
and uploading) There's a TON of videos obviously posted by Chinese
users.... then I realized that YouTube was still "banned" in China.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
I just tried it here in Canada. Streams fine using a VPN.
which VPN? does the video ever have stuttering or buffering issues?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
which VPN? does the video ever have stuttering or buffering issues?

Thanks!
I used Hotspot Shield only because it is free (google for how to do it). It worked fine for me but it was my home wifi so lots of bandwidth available.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:05 pm

VPNs Vary

Someone said Netflix is blocking all VPNs. I think that is a rather broad statement. They are targeting VPNs and they are blocking by IP address. So if the IP address you are using is not in a blocked pool of addresses you won't necessarily be blocked. In fairness to Netflix they only have content, the movies, based upon agreements with the studios. If the major studios tell Netflix they will not receive various titles if they do not actively block access there is little they can do. The issue is that content licensed for US viewing is not necessarily licensed for viewing in, for example, South Korea. The same is true with books. As an aside, this is why I have zero sympathy for the studios or theaters when they get up in arms about the dates of release to theaters versus release to streaming.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:03 pm

I was just in Grand Cayman for a few days and watched amazon prime. Had to turn on my vpn using privateinternetaccess (pia) and worked well. They also support torrentz sites, unlike other vpn providers. I've also used them for MLB.com. Never tried netflix so YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.