Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just as an FYI, FlyerTalk blocks access if you're using PIA.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Why?

I was considering them ...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Just as an FYI, FlyerTalk blocks access if you're using PIA.
Not necessarily, I'm currently accessing FlyerTalk while using PIA. I find when it does happen, usually just disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the problem (since you get a new IP).
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wco81
Why?

I was considering them ...
While your intentions may be pure, VPNs are also used by spammers, scammers, and other scum of the Internet. Especially if you are using the largest VPN providers, you may find yourself blocked by websites that have had problems with abuse originating from the VPN providers' IP address ranges.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Zooter
What about the VPN that comes baked into Opera Developer?
Reviving this as no-one seemed to catch on. The latest version of Opera has a VPN built in and is accessible when you start a private browsing session. Click on VPN in the address bar and away you go.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can you stream Netflix or HBO Go over it from overseas?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Given the latest good news out of DC any newer recommendations about the most secure VPNs?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Given the latest good news out of DC any newer recommendations about the most secure VPNs?
I went looking for a new provider a couple months ago. My search led me to NordVPN and AirVPN, the latter having very no-frills software that looks straight out of the Windows XP era.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cblaisd
PIA (States) & Mullvad (Europe) are some of the best: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simpl...parison-chart/

And flyertalk surely doesn't block them specifically. Just renew/refresh or choose a different area and you'll get in (since it will swap your IP).

Many sites attempt to block known spammy IPs and sometimes the IP you connected to gets caught. Likely the VPN will stop using it shortly.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Do you guys feel comfortable with these VPN providers from a privacy standpoint? To be honest, I'm not sure I am. I'm considering setting up OpenVPN on my server I have hosted at a data center; it's very unlikely they'd sell traffic data to other companies IMO.

On the other hand, the other providers at least make it so I don't have to maintain yet another service.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I'm pretty comfortable with providers that say in the T&C's that they store no logs, like torguard,
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Honestly, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and which failure cases matter most to you. If you just don't like having your data sold, I feel very comfortable with Torguard and PIA.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've been extremely happy with PIA. Even if flyer talk blocks their IPs from accessing the site. The only other issue I have with them is that I can't seem to get them to connect when using gogo inflight. I would like to have that behind the VPN when browsing, I guess I just need to figure out a plan B.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Do you guys feel comfortable with these VPN providers from a privacy standpoint? To be honest, I'm not sure I am. I'm considering setting up OpenVPN on my server I have hosted at a data center; it's very unlikely they'd sell traffic data to other companies IMO.

On the other hand, the other providers at least make it so I don't have to maintain yet another service.
What are you not comfortable about? For instance, I am not comfortable using a US-based VPN, for various reasons. I am comfortable that paid VPNs that state they don't keep logs of use won't sell my data (that they haven't logged)....I would not trust a free VPN.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
What are you not comfortable about? For instance, I am not comfortable using a US-based VPN, for various reasons. I am comfortable that paid VPNs that state they don't keep logs of use won't sell my data (that they haven't logged)....I would not trust a free VPN.
It's a matter of trust, really. I can't be 100% sure that the VPN providers who supposedly don't sell data aren't actually doing so. It could just be me being really paranoid though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.