Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wco81
I've only tried a couple of free solutions.

First was Open VPN. But many of the servers listed on VPN gate don't work. Many you can't even ping.

Then tried VPNBook. I did connect and got HBO Go to work from Buenos Aires but it was slow and had long buffering pauses.

Have a 2 week trip coming up at the end of April so will have to figure out something else.
Look at VPN4all I use it have no lag issues, or buffering pauses. I used it in India, UAE and USA. Hope this helps. Has plenty of servers all over the world.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:41 am

Have a 2 week trip coming up at the end of April so will have to figure out something else.
Witopia.net has excellent coverage, tek support and never has let me down.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Found good reviews of Private Internet Access, which is $40 a year?

Actually, I was using VPN on my iMac at home last year and it worked well in Amsterdam.

But I had to upgrade to Yosemite 10.10 and it's not as stable. For some reason, I can't reach it at all now so it may be crashed.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Tomato firmware on my home router, which includes an OpenVPN server. I use that to VPN in when I need a private/reliable VPN.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Tech question - what do I need if I need to make changes to my router/modem? I need to access American sites via my Chromecast, so things that operate through my browser aren't enough.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:27 am

I've only tried a couple of free solutions.

First was Open VPN. But many of the servers listed on VPN gate don't work. Many you can't even ping.

Then tried VPNBook. I did connect and got HBO Go to work from Buenos Aires but it was slow and had long buffering pauses.

OpenVPN is a technology, a great technology, not a provider. I'm using OpenVPN from VPN.ac with excellent speeds (maxing out a 100/100 connection to their Seattle server and 50+ halfway around the world...). They're also a company I really trust from their published info, and conversations with their techs - and super cheap to boot!

Free providers like VPNgate and VPNbook are rarely fast enough to stream and never stable enough.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Tech question - what do I need if I need to make changes to my router/modem? I need to access American sites via my Chromecast, so things that operate through my browser aren't enough.
You'll need to VPN on the router, which is it's own challenge as most consumer routers neither have the software nor the CPU to VPN in a stable manner. Setup a pfSense box? That'll be the fastest. Use OpenVPN UDP.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you Google the make/model of your router plus "VPN", you should be able to see how easy it is to setup VPN on it.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If you Google the make/model of your router plus "VPN", you should be able to see how easy it is to setup VPN on it.
Thanks - I'll look into it
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd need a router whose firmware supports being a VPN client and tunneling everything through the VPN. I'm not sure which, if any, consumer routers support this out of the box. You could buy a commercial router (check out Cradlepoint stuff - usually feature filled and not too expensive). Or you could put a custom firmware on your router if it supports such things. As I've mentioned many times, I prefer Tomato but DD-WRT is also a popular choice.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You'd need a router whose firmware supports being a VPN client and tunneling everything through the VPN. I'm not sure which, if any, consumer routers support this out of the box. You could buy a commercial router (check out Cradlepoint stuff - usually feature filled and not too expensive). Or you could put a custom firmware on your router if it supports such things. As I've mentioned many times, I prefer Tomato but DD-WRT is also a popular choice.
Many Asus and Buffalo-branded routers have VPN clients built-in.

You can also purchased pre-configured routers from places like TorGuard...

https://torguard.net/store/
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, good to know!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

Found good reviews of Private Internet Access, which is $40 a year?
I had been using witopia.net exclusively for many years on all my apple devices but recently discovered they're not torrent friendly.

So I added PIA and have been using it for about one month. I do note they don't have as many servers, either stateside or overseas. And the wait for on-line chat is longer than witopia. But as you noted, they are only $40 per year. It's too early to come to any conclusions....haven't tested when overseas just yet.

YMMV, good luck!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I use Tomato firmware on my home router, which includes an OpenVPN server. I use that to VPN in when I need a private/reliable VPN.
Which brand and model?

Presumably I could get one of the models shown at that torguard site for a lot less and flash it myself?

Edit: hmm this list indicates which ones can be flashed:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-b...-wi-fi-routers
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Another vote for FoxyProxy - decently priced, no fluff, no attempts to upsell, solid tech support when needed.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:27 pm

For free VPN (client required), I use ProXPN. It does require a client install, however, it's also possible to configure it to work with OpenVPN instead. The free account is rather slow, but works pretty well.

For paid VPN, I like HMA as it allows 2 simultaneous connections. I use it on my phone/laptop and at home. At home, I'm using it with Shibby on my Asus RT-N66U.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.