Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CatJo
I recommend TunnelBear, on sale right now for $50 for the year (unlimited data usage) - their desktop app allows very easy switching of your IP (US, UK, Canada, Germany & Japan) and it works very well.
This is the same one I use. Some of my apps on my phone seemed to be "outsmarting" Hotspot Shield, however this one has had no problems.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Can someone explain from a technical standpoint exactly what Hola Better Internet does? A few people have mentioned it in this thread and others. NEar as I can tell, it's a proxy that uses other Hola users as the proxy server and bounces the request off several users (sort of like Tor without the encryption) until it gets an "exit user" in the country you want to appear to be from.

Am I right?
I think that sounds about right. As I am using someone's IP in UK to watch Sherlock, another person in Japan could be using my connection to watch Hulu in US. Sound like a cloud source VPN of some sort.

I tried it a while ago to see if I could watch some China only video (selecting China) and it didn't let me do it. Not sure if I did it correctly or not. After that I just gave up.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:16 pm

For free VPN (client required), I use ProXPN. It does require a client install, however, it's also possible to configure it to work with OpenVPN instead. The free account is rather slow, but works pretty well.

For paid VPN, I like HMA as it allows 2 simultaneous connections. At home, I use it with Shibby on my Asus RT-N66U. When I'm out and about, I use it on my phone (Android) and/or laptop.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Personal VPN Services

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about a personal vpn service. Our ISP is a bit annoying. I'm not saying that they're throttling things, Netflix works just fine, but the Yosemite and Windows 8.1 updates wouldn't download after a day. I tried out Hot Spot Shield, and it seems to work just fine (both those updates downloaded in less than 90 minutes), but before I spend the money to get the elite package, I wanted to know if anyone out there had a preference?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been using TorGuard, and I've been happy. I mainly use it when I have to use my personal laptop at work or at school. I have used it at home a few times when I need an Swedish IP address to watch some geo-restricted content, and it worked great. I plan on using it for the latter purpose a lot more in the near future.

They have the occasional deal of $30/yr (which is half off). That price is valid for the life of the account.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I've been using Private Internet Access (PIA) for 2-3 years, and recently converted Mr aBroad after several years with WiTopia.

PIA is only $39.95 per year. No tracking. Works on virtually all devices and platforms. Very easy to use. Reliable. Multiple concurrent device connections permitted (this is a huge deal for us). Can be used in PRC and other blocked countries (although you may need to do a special configuration depending on your device and the country). Responsive, friendly, helpful customer service the couple times I've needed them.

WiTopia was fine, but they do track, allow only one device connection at a time (as of a year ago anyway), and it costs twice as much as PIA for service that it is not twice as good.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:38 pm

I use VPN.ac, they don't overload their servers, great people behind it, works well.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Another vote for Private Internet Access. Excellent speeds, easy to use programs/apps, and a reasonable yearly price.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I use VPN4all had no problem with it in India last month.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
For those of you looking for free options I have had pretty good success with Hola, which is a Firefox extension and mobile app.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
For those of you looking for free options I have had pretty good success with Hola, which is a Firefox extension and mobile app.
That is a pretty decent solution if you're within the browser, but doesn't help when using an app store or just wanting an encrypted connection. (it is also available for Chrome.)
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Hello Everyone....I found www.hidemyass.com and paid the small fee. I was able to get on to any site in Mongolia, including Netflix. My friends in Mongolia were ecstatic they were able to see Netflix's Marco Polo since there were some famous Mongolian actors in it.

I then went on to China and finally here in Dubai and still able to see whatever I want. Really happy.

Happy travels everyone!

UG
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:05 am

I've heard good things about Hola Better Internet (and when it comes to price, you can't beat free). I used HMA Pro VPN for a while with mixed results.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Hello Everyone....I found www.hidemyass.com and paid the small fee. I was able to get on to any site in Mongolia, including Netflix. My friends in Mongolia were ecstatic they were able to see Netflix's Marco Polo since there were some famous Mongolian actors in it.

I then went on to China and finally here in Dubai and still able to see whatever I want. Really happy.

Happy travels everyone!

UG
Be VERY careful with HideMyAss, the name is ironically totally wrong. They've been known to log and reveal customer private data.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've only tried a couple of free solutions.

First was Open VPN. But many of the servers listed on VPN gate don't work. Many you can't even ping.

Then tried VPNBook. I did connect and got HBO Go to work from Buenos Aires but it was slow and had long buffering pauses.

Have a 2 week trip coming up at the end of April so will have to figure out something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.