Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Which brand and model?

Presumably I could get one of the models shown at that torguard site for a lot less and flash it myself?

Edit: hmm this list indicates which ones can be flashed:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-b...-wi-fi-routers
I have the Asus RT-N66u.

The AC version is semi-supported by Tomato but not 100% at this time.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by dtsm
I had been using witopia.net exclusively for many years on all my apple devices but recently discovered they're not torrent friendly.

So I added PIA and have been using it for about one month. I do note they don't have as many servers, either stateside or overseas. And the wait for on-line chat is longer than witopia. But as you noted, they are only $40 per year. It's too early to come to any conclusions....haven't tested when overseas just yet.

YMMV, good luck!
PIA works quite well around the globe (have used it in Asia, North America, and Europe). Their privacy policies are among the best as well (if you are concerned about those things).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by wco81
Which brand and model?

Presumably I could get one of the models shown at that torguard site for a lot less and flash it myself?

Edit: hmm this list indicates which ones can be flashed:

http://lifehacker.com/5920709/five-b...-wi-fi-routers
I used some old WRT54G and flashed the tomato on it with openvpn.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jason8612
I used some old WRT54G and flashed the tomato on it with openvpn.
Did it work? I'd like to connect my router to my nomadtunnel.com account but I'm not ready to spend the 100$+ most routers in the Lifehacker article cost.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just curious, anyone do speed tests while on these VPN services?

I got a T-Mobile Cell Spot router, which is an Asus. It has a VPN server.

Connects fine so I have a trip next week to Munich and will see if I can connect to US content.

Of course, the speed is limited to the upload speed on my Comcast connection, which is 5-6 Mbps. Should be fine for most video streams and you rarely find Wifi in hotels that fast any more these days so maybe that's about as good as you can expect.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Please forgive if this has been suggested-- but I recently bought iTwin Connect from Ebay. It's a very small hardware VPN device. Works on Windows and OSX (except for Yosemite so far). It phones to home computer, which you can then control, or to public sites in US, Europe or Singapore.

So far it's working on my Windows machines, in both modes. We'll try Asia shortly.

There's a strong review of it in PC Mag, and a few on Amazon, FYI.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Best VPN?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find a recent topic. I'm currently using Witopia. I have a feeling it could be faster. Is there anything better out there? My only requirement is to be able to pick servers around the world, especially in the US.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find a recent topic. I'm currently using Witopia. I have a feeling it could be faster. Is there anything better out there? My only requirement is to be able to pick servers around the world, especially in the US.
I am a big fan of Zenmate.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Great thread idea. I use Anonine. It's good, but my torrents thru anonine seem to max out at about 4.2MB/s (despite my internet connection being must faster 200/20Mbps). Recently I've been trying out PIA (Private Internet Access), it seems slightly faster, but not more than 10%.

Interested to see what others think. For me, I require a few things:

-Must have an OpenVPN option
-No logs
-Unlimited Data
-Decent Torrent performance
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
i use vyprvpn, and am very happy with it. It is not free, but I believe you get what you pay for.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 am

Zen Mate is already in Chrome's Extensions and just has to be activated. With another browser I think you have to download it. Not many locations in free mode though. I used to use Hidemyass & was quite happy with them. I just don't want to pay for it anymore.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Do you need the speed for streaming content or heavy downloads? Also, how important is the encryption standard?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:12 am

I use Tunnelbear, and have for years. It has an incredibly easy user interface (drop down menu of almost 20 countries, then click "connect") and has some terrific security features (optional to use, included in price). $50 per year, and sometimes $40 if it's on sale. Speed is obviously variable, but I use it for streaming video as well as for anonymity, and it works well for me.

(https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/ -- And you can actually pay in honey if you want to - I do like that they have a sense of humour too.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by aster
Do you need the speed for streaming content or heavy downloads? Also, how important is the encryption standard?
Not so much bandwidth, but security on WiFi networks and the such, especially while overseas. Thanks! Will be checking out other options mentioned in this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
I use expressVPN for trips to China. Very stable connection (lots of servers located all over the world) and very easy to use (includes Android app for smartphones). Price is fairly reasonable as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.