Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by brunotattaglia
I could not return a 3 year old kirkland bag without a receipt or record in membership purchases. You could argue that what the hell, no one else sells a kirkland bag, but they wouldn't take it back. I originally paid cash while on a lunch break with one of my workmates, I could not remember which workmate it was (we go to costco all the time for lunch), therefore we couldn't find the record..
It all depends on if they have the time and desire to look back and find it. It seems that each return desk manager has their on discretion. So you may find someone great or you may find a N. Korean bureaucrat. I found the latter in one Costco then left a nasty Yelp review.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
This new 22" is more like 23"

At least that's what I saw with the measuring tape...

Mr. GLR just tried it out and it definitely did not fit wheels in or out on a UA 320 (would it matter if that was in F?). We were both otherwise very excited about it (long handle, toiletry bag, good experience with a larger Kirkland) and I was planning to get one myself after his trial trip, but now it's looking like it's headed back to Costco. He refuses to take chances with it getting checked for being oversized and I don't blame him. I was going to borrow it to go Berlin via MUC but no way do I want to tempt fate with LH agents in TXL, especially post 12/25/09.

It's such a shame they didn't do their home work and get the sizing right.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oceanrider
Is there a tote/ personal bag that is designed to fit on top of the Kirkland 22" ?
I have an old Compaq notebook bag/soft briefcase with several compartments. The backside has a document compartment on the outside that is open and closed with velcro. The outside of the top of that compartment is another velcro band that can be pulled away. I slide the telescoping handle of the Kirkland 22" through this band, rest the notebook bag on top of the Kirland 22", and then secure the velcro band on all sides of the 2 telescoping poles. I searched a little for the same bag online just now and couldn't locate one.

It looks like the Zuca Slider would work though.
http://www.zuca.com/accessories/backpack.php
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You can undo the back panel on a RedOxx Sun Chaser to fit over the handles as well.

Trying to get our hands on the Kirkland 22 inch bag to measure it. If it is too big, I won't even think of buying one.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

went to COSTCO today in Fort Worth

They had at least 6 of the 22 inch Kirkland bags at a price of $99. They had Tumi 22's at $199.

Measured one of the Kirkland 22's. Sure enough as reported above it was 23.5 inches if you include the wheels and the handle. The handle does not compress down at all.

I can't believe they misfired on this.

I measured the Tumi and it was just at 23 inches.

I'm still shopping.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:28 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Too Long!

I recently bought the new 22 inch.

I could not fit it wheels in or out on a Delta 737 the other day. It seems to be just a little bit too long.

Anyone else have any luck on any aircraft actually fitting this in wheels in/out?

Is this an issue with any Tumi 22 inchers? What about older versions of the kirkland bag?

Costco really dropped the ball on this, I would expect they will see a lot of returns.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well yes

You are correct. The 22 inch Kirkland being sold now is too long. I looked at the 27 inch today and it is huge. Too big for me and way too heavy.

The price reduction leads me to think they know they have a problem.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I would hope they figured this out. What good is a 22" that can't fit in an overhead bin???
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
There was an article in the most recent Costco Connection talking about their luggage. It was a pretty interesting read. Sorry but I do not have the link to the article online.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
You are correct. The 22 inch Kirkland being sold now is too long. I looked at the 27 inch today and it is huge. Too big for me and way too heavy.

I was also very surprised that this slipped through the QA cracks. It's a great looking bag, but the dimensions, shape and bulk make it unacceptable for all overheads, except those found in the A380.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke with a store employee about those carry on bags. They are getting returns due to the size.

I wonder if a new bag is in design.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:20 pm

Interesting article. Most of it is about the construction and material of the bags, but a couple of factoids:

1) Costco bag is 1050d Cordura, "leading high-end competitor" 840d Cordura. The article claims that the 1050d Cordura is twice as durable as standard 1680d nylon.

2) Article claims the new bag is 11.5 lbs, a full pound lighter than the last model.

3) I'm not sure I would count on any redesign - the size is still listed as 22x14x9 and noted as conforming with carryon size.

By the way, as far as size goes I put mine right next to the last model and it did not appear to be at all longer, but it was on carpet so I suppose there could have been some difference absorbed in the rug.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MKE 1K
There was an article in the most recent Costco Connection talking about their luggage. It was a pretty interesting read. Sorry but I do not have the link to the article online.
You can always get to the latest Connection here:

http://www.costcoconnection.com

If you want a specific month, you can munge the URL to force that one to display. Here's the permanent link to March's in case someone stumbles across this later and wants to read the article (it's on magazine page 58 but online reader page 73):

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201003#pg73

Last edited by jackal; Mar 2, 2010 at 12:20 am
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I hesitate to ask, but what is virgin polypropylene?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, DL, LAN, SPG
Virgin means no recycled / post-consumer product in the plastic. It's all new materials being used, in this case it's polypropylene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.