Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:31 pm

I am returning mine

I picked up a Kirkland 22" bag before reading this forum. It is indeed about 23.5 inches. It is a beautiful bag--I am so disappointed I will have to return it as its use was as a carryon. I just received a 21" bag from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-T...7572454&sr=8-1

This bag is decent and was onsale over the weekend for 20% off 115. I put the bags side by side on the table. The Kirkland bag looks huge compared to this--not only in terms of length but also depth. It's hard to imagine the bags are in the same class. While the CK bag is nice, the Kirkland one is much nicer in terms of fabric and compartments. But at least it will fit in the overhead bins
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
Uh oh......I just bought 4 of those bags from Costco in Foster City, CA.

My plan was to use the bags on our upcoming family trip on Jetblue and US Air (all flights on A320 and A319 which tend to have better overhead storage).

I am now worried that the new bags won't fit in the overhead compartment given the details from our flyertalkers on the possible mistaken printing of dimensions from Costco/Kirkland. Since we are connecting between airlines, and Jetblue does not interline, we need to have carry-on bags to speed our connection time.

I really really love these bags - they are so well thought out, and I do not want to return them if at all possible.

Your thoughts/ideas/experiences? Thanks!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Weigh one of them empty and then see how much you like it. I think a family of 4 traveling with these bags is going to be fighting for overhead bin space. If you do decide to travel with them, do not expand them!

I've seen plenty people flying with them as carry ons, but the weight empty is the breaking point for me.

I gave up wheels for my carry on bags long ago and have never been sorry.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:44 pm

I'm too will be returning mine to Costco. It's just too bad as the bag is very well made. Costco, if you are listening please redesign this latest edition because you will be getting many returns as people are find out the hard way.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:59 pm

The Costco website indicates the Kirkland Signature 27" weighs 15.4 lbs. My local store does not have these yet. If anyone has this bag would appreciate a verification on the actual weight. This seems a bit heavy.
Thanks
Update: 13 Apr 2010
Tag on product indicates weight is 15.4 lbs.

Last edited by OnTheAsile; Apr 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:33 am

I used the 2010 bag for the first time this past week. We originally purchased 4 of these in 2004 and have had pretty good luck over the years getting them stowed wheels in (albeit with a bit of a firm push on the overhead door). When one of the bags had a wheel disintegrate I tried to get it repaired to no avail. Then I saw this link and took it back to Costco. It took them a day to find my receipt and process my refund which I eventually used on the new bag. Its size is about the same as the older bags (lined them up side by side and saw no difference). It fit wheels in on the first flight, an A320, but I had to put it in sideways on the 737, 757 and 767. It fits in the metal sizing container at the gate to check if its legal (though it would not if it is expanded). I'm happy with the bag and will still use it but will probably try not to be the last one on the plane if carrying on in case it has to go in lengthwise. Its too bad the overhead bins do not have standard sizes.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:43 am

Bought the 22" two weeks ago and immediately took it through Istanbul and Bulgaria. Fit into the A330 overhead with no problems (wheels first). I did have to check it on the way back (liquids) - but loaded with 42 pounds it came out with no problem. Liquids made it back without an issue, too.

Had clothing for six days - three folders and two cubes - and they fit fine. Also had one sportcoat in the garment bag.

The bag rolled easily, handled escalators with no problem, and did take a lot of abuse (rolling down cobblestone streets in IST).
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by SFOPremex
Uh oh......I just bought 4 of those bags from Costco in Foster City, CA.

My plan was to use the bags on our upcoming family trip on Jetblue and US Air (all flights on A320 and A319 which tend to have better overhead storage).

I am now worried that the new bags won't fit in the overhead compartment given the details from our flyertalkers on the possible mistaken printing of dimensions from Costco/Kirkland. Since we are connecting between airlines, and Jetblue does not interline, we need to have carry-on bags to speed our connection time.

I really really love these bags - they are so well thought out, and I do not want to return them if at all possible.

Your thoughts/ideas/experiences? Thanks!!!!
Any discounts on them?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:35 am

UPDATE (April 6): Took my 22" back to Costco. They accepted with no hassle, but the two individuals I dealt with apparently were unaware of the size problem. When I went back to look at the other bags, all of the 22" Kirklands were gone.

The way the display was arranged made me think the bags had been pulled by store personnel, not that they had sold out. Online, the bag is shown as unavailable.

I was told 66 bags were coming in next week. They were unable to tell me if it is a redesigned bag. I even dialed the 800 number and they could not tell me if it is a redesigned bag.

If anyone here has a Costco corporate connection, please check into this.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I don't have a COSTCO connection but I shop there very often. I'll check the luggage area where I shop as well.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
Travel Update - we took our Costco bags on 2 Jetblue and 2 US Air this last week. All flights were on Airbus A320 and A319's.

We had no trouble fitting the bags on Jetblue (handle out position). I know Jetblue has installed the newer more curvy, overhead compartment doors on all their planes in the last few years, so I am not sure if this is why the bags fit.

US Air was a different story. The bags were not close to fitting, though our Victorinox 21" fit just fine. Luckily, both our US Air flights were not too full, and we boarded early so we simply put the bags sideways and all was fine.

The bags themselves are very well thought out, well built and got thumbs up from my family for their usability and ease of movement.

We are going to take them on another trip soon and see how they do on a few other carriers. We'd really like to keep them if possible, but if they have a sizing issue, we will probably return them.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by brunotattaglia
I could not return a 3 year old kirkland bag without a receipt or record in membership purchases. You could argue that what the hell, no one else sells a kirkland bag, but they wouldn't take it back. I originally paid cash while on a lunch break with one of my workmates, I could not remember which workmate it was (we go to costco all the time for lunch), therefore we couldn't find the record..
Sorry to learn you had such a problem. This is truly a YMMV event, as I had the complete opposite experience. Taking advantage of being back in NJ for the week, today I returned my year-old 22" to the Hackensack store.

No receipt.
No longer have the same Amex CC.
No problem.

The lady at the return desk looked up the purchase using the return desk computer and graciously issued me an in-store credit. She was very nice and efficient. No fuss whatsoever.

BTW: I returned it because the 2009 model had "self-adjusting" expansion straps that were always "self-expanding" even when no expansion was required. Not a big deal, but when it occurs during flight and then causes the bag to jam against the latch of the overhead, it is annoying.

The 2010 model dropped this feature and returned to the conventional zippered expansion system. However, as others have noted here and on other IBBs, it seems a bit over-sized.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Qantas, HAL, Starwood,
Well I know what I'm going to be doing next weekend and thanks for the advice I love Costco but I never knew that they sold luggage. Yet another think I have leaned on FT.com.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:10 pm

New shipments arrived but they are the same oversized model. I noticed the vendor was Ricardo of Beverly Hills. Has anyone touched base with them to see if a redesign will be happening?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
A friend who works at Costco called me yesterday to tell me one of our Costcos here has a 20" Tumi in stock for $170-something. Still the same old KS 22"s, though. Wonder when they'll get the message. (Surely the KS folks are aware of the issue by now!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.