Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lavedder
I think Costco has a complete satisfaction guarantee policy which means you can take just about anything (except tv's and electronics) back if you are not satisfied.
I've bought several of their luggages but still find them too heavy for me. I've given them to other family members. I see they are selling Rick Steves luggage set online. Rick Steves' 21" rolling carry on is only 7 lbs. Anyone has any experience with Rick Steves' bags? If I buy them at Costco, it's just like having a lifetime guarantee.
I saw that, too, and am curious if anyone has any knowledge of this product.

I've never bought any of Rick Steves' merchandise, but I've found his guidebooks useful references (albeit not perfect, but no guidebook ever is). I'd like to know if his luggage set is of decent quality.

I've got a full-size Kelty backpack I use when trekking around the country via train and some older/falling apart rollerboards, so I'm sort of in the market for a new one. I've been meaning to stop by my local Costco to see what they have in stock...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
Good for you. I wear the Kirkland underwear and find it is as nice as the brands costing 3X the price.
Me too! The joys of reverse snobbery...

Originally Posted by a330300
I was actually at a Costco last night, and saw yet another update to this line of luggage. Instead of a zipper that pulls around the expandable section, it is now controlled using some internal framework that is automatic...should be interesting to use!
My wife and I saw this too, and were debating how best to destroy one of our bags so that we could rationalize getting a new one. (They only had black, and I like the tan color I have, so I'm not ready to trade it in yet.)
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Would the duffel lend itself at all to transporting a laptop and accessories? (assuming I have additional padding for laptop I'd supply)
My standard for 5 day or less trips is the Costco 22" wheelie. I fashioned an additional padded laptop carrier with a 13x10x1.5 inch cloth bag and 2 layers of fairly firm 3/32" closed polypropylene foam. It fits fine in the wheelie or a backpack and never a laptop ding or scratch in over 5 years. I never found better (or cheaper) fabricated protective case but I have a leather case or two to impress the impressible.

MisterNice
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
Me too! The joys of reverse snobbery...

My wife and I saw this too, and were debating how best to destroy one of our bags so that we could rationalize getting a new one. (They only had black, and I like the tan color I have, so I'm not ready to trade it in yet.)
My Philly friends suggest a trip or two on US Air should accomplish your objective.

MisterNice
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:49 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb Costco Luggage Review

I recently purchased the Costco 100 dollar suitcase.
Have been a travel pro guy for many years. I think the Costco bag is too heavy for the size of the bag even empty
Let alone full. Though I see it as a sturdy constructed bag I also see it as lacking in interior design functionality
There is nothing like the comfort and trust in buying from Costco however mine will likely be returned for a Travel Pro purchased somewhere else.
My productivity, convenience and ease when I travel mean everything.
I find the Costco luggage poorly thought out within the exterior yet well made. It is possible I am simply more use to the Travel pro where it seems to me the use of interior space is simply better utilized
My two cents

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by a330300
I was actually at a Costco last night, and saw yet another update to this line of luggage. Instead of a zipper that pulls around the expandable section, it is now controlled using some internal framework that is automatic...should be interesting to use!

I've had a Kirkland bag since 2000 and it's still holding up strong.
That's the 3rd generation version. I had a 1st generation, and the wheels starting getting loud and I always hated the stupid velcro flap that went over the handle. Soooo... I got a 2nd generation that I've had for about 3 years now and love it. It's nowhere near being worn out so I may have to wait for the 4th generation before upgrading. I still have the computer bag from about 12 years ago that I still use from time to time, plus the rolling computer bag that I may bring out of storage.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Like many of you, we're diehard Costco fans (exec member) and love their business strategy and promise to consumers. We purchased 3 Kirkland 22 inchers for my wife and family and they are excellent, but I like my TravelPro better. Its wheels seem better, the garment bag a little bet better, and I think it is lighter. My previous TravelPro lasted for years of hard consultant labor -- many international flights.

We also bought one rolling duffel at Costco, but I think it is not Kirkland but something like High Sierra.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
Rick Steves Bags

Originally Posted by lavedder
I think Costco has a complete satisfaction guarantee policy which means you can take just about anything (except tv's and electronics) back if you are not satisfied.
I've bought several of their luggages but still find them too heavy for me. I've given them to other family members. I see they are selling Rick Steves luggage set online. Rick Steves' 21" rolling carry on is only 7 lbs. Anyone has any experience with Rick Steves' bags? If I buy them at Costco, it's just like having a lifetime guarantee.
Our family got Rick Steves bags for our trip to Europe a few years ago. The kids and I chose rollaboards, and my husband got the convertible shoulderbag/backpack. They are perfect for traveling light, and we love them as carry ons. For many trips these will hold everything, but for long vacations, I'd rather pack a bit more and not spend time at a laundromat. My husband does a lot of business travel, and the convertible is indispensable. He loves that he can squish it into the overhead bin.

However, on our trip to Canada last summer, we checked the bags, and they all received damage. The convertible has lots of straps, one of which must have gotten caught on equipment, it was torn off, and the zipper was sheared off and melted into the fabric. The rollaboards have slices in the fabric, and abrasions, and one bag lost a foot, and cannot stand upright. Rick Steves will not repair bags. I managed to find a new convertible on clearance at REI, which my husband will not be checkng.

We are considering buying some ILite bags, 25" and 29" to use when we need to check bags.

With the Costco policy, I think the Rick Steves bags would be perfect.

Oh, and Travelsmith.com has Rick Steves bags, too, and a 100% no questions asked return policy at any time. Although I guess you'd have to pay for return shipping.

Last edited by carolinelb; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:16 am Reason: additional information
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:01 pm

Does anyone have any feedback about the non-Kirkland brand luggage sold at Costco? I was at a store in Santa Clara, CA last week and saw a Samsonite 29" semi-hard sided suitcase, and a purple 24" and duffel set (don't remember the brand). One or both of them might fit my needs (2 week trip for family of 4). Any thoughts?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've bought the Ricardo sets, and some of the rolling type dufflebags before. Nothing special, and once it's beat to hell, I won't take it back for a refund, unlike the Kirkland luggage. I know there are some people who will take it back 5 years later (non-Kirkland luggage), but I just feel that's pushing it too much.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by kniveton
... maybe that's just me. I don't wear Costco clothes either.
I found the quote amusing too. I agree and do not wear Kirkland clothes, except socks. However I do wear many clothes purchased at Costco like Nautica, Polo, Dockers, Nike etc.

Back to an earlier post in thread, if Blue cannot be found I would guess they were moved out. If you have a SKU ask the guy at the computer near check out to look at other stores. Chances are it's gone.

I bought a Swiss Army watch last year that I really liked. 6 months later it vanished at LAX security, but that's another story. I went to several stores and had them look up and was told finally "We put that one on a $30 clearance and they were all gone in a day"
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by newbs
Does anyone have any feedback about the non-Kirkland brand luggage sold at Costco? I was at a store in Santa Clara, CA last week and saw a Samsonite 29" semi-hard sided suitcase, and a purple 24" and duffel set (don't remember the brand). One or both of them might fit my needs (2 week trip for family of 4). Any thoughts?
The purple set is really pretty, but ... I bought one as a gift for christmas for someone, and it just happened to get a gash on it the first time out.... We all know that this just happens... but at the same time, my kirkland bag was untouched... my .02
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Is the Kirkland luggage still in production? I was at my local Costco today and didn't see any, and the Costco Web site doesn't show any Kirkland brand luggage other than a computer bag.

I know people who own Kirkland bags, and they appear to be excellent quality, just as many of you have said on this thread. I'm looking to replace my Travelpro carry-on rollaboard that's seen better days (great quality bag, but it's flown a couple of hundred thousand miles since 2006 and is starting to wear out).

Anyone know if the Kirkland bags are still being made?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles, United, Continental, JBlU, USair, AA
I've owned both 22 and 26 bags since about 2001. Mine are the older model prior to 'lightening'

The quality is non-pareil. When was the last time you saw real leather hardware on a $120 bag? Yes the handles are leather. Nothing has ever broken on either one. The wheels roll as smooth as day 1. The accessories are complete: locks, garment insert, laundry bag, etc.

However, there is a problem. They are heavy. Like someone said, I believe the 22" weighs 12 lbs and change. The leaders in this segment weigh 9 lbs or less.

Some time around 2006 they lightened it to about 9.5 lbs and the quality was still good. Funny thing though, I tried to exchange my 2001 bag for one of these 06 models, and they wouldn't let me. So the legendary return policy is not universal.

They seemed to have re-designed them again around 08, I don't think the newest version is high quality. Someone else can chime in.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Is the Kirkland luggage still in production? I was at my local Costco today and didn't see any, and the Costco Web site doesn't show any Kirkland brand luggage other than a computer bag.
I posted on this in another Costco thread about a month or so ago - they've seemed to all but vanish, although I managed to get a backup before they did. No one seemed to know what Costco's plans are, but the company making the last model apparently went out of business.

Saw a crew member at Dulles yesterday with a Costco bag that looked more beat to heck than I thought was possible for one of these, but it was still working fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.