FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:02 am
carolinelb

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
Rick Steves Bags

Originally Posted by lavedder
I think Costco has a complete satisfaction guarantee policy which means you can take just about anything (except tv's and electronics) back if you are not satisfied.
I've bought several of their luggages but still find them too heavy for me. I've given them to other family members. I see they are selling Rick Steves luggage set online. Rick Steves' 21" rolling carry on is only 7 lbs. Anyone has any experience with Rick Steves' bags? If I buy them at Costco, it's just like having a lifetime guarantee.
Our family got Rick Steves bags for our trip to Europe a few years ago. The kids and I chose rollaboards, and my husband got the convertible shoulderbag/backpack. They are perfect for traveling light, and we love them as carry ons. For many trips these will hold everything, but for long vacations, I'd rather pack a bit more and not spend time at a laundromat. My husband does a lot of business travel, and the convertible is indispensable. He loves that he can squish it into the overhead bin.

However, on our trip to Canada last summer, we checked the bags, and they all received damage. The convertible has lots of straps, one of which must have gotten caught on equipment, it was torn off, and the zipper was sheared off and melted into the fabric. The rollaboards have slices in the fabric, and abrasions, and one bag lost a foot, and cannot stand upright. Rick Steves will not repair bags. I managed to find a new convertible on clearance at REI, which my husband will not be checkng.

We are considering buying some ILite bags, 25" and 29" to use when we need to check bags.

With the Costco policy, I think the Rick Steves bags would be perfect.

Oh, and Travelsmith.com has Rick Steves bags, too, and a 100% no questions asked return policy at any time. Although I guess you'd have to pay for return shipping.

Last edited by carolinelb; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:16 am Reason: additional information