Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Tokyo

Originally Posted by schooleydoo
Does anyone have any tips for Tokyo aside from the locations already mentioned? (Roppi / TMGB).

I am considering both the Odaiba Sky wheel and roof of Joypolis to try and get the Rainbow Bridge in.

Also, though not quite a skyline shot I would love to know if there is anywhere I can get a shot of the Shibuya crossing AND the football pitch on the roof of the adjacent building. I can only come up with the Excel hotel but I cannot imagine them letting me into the elevator without a room key and staying is outside of my budget for this trip.
This link has some shots that cover some of the places you mentioned:
http://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trave...15303749_fC4Yd
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:12 am

Thought I would update this thread with my results. If anyone wants to know the locations, feel free to PM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schoole...7628759962421/

Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Since you have a Nikon DSLR, you should look into getting a geotagging device, which can write directly to the EXIF at the time of capture.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:26 am
Suspended

Not the optimal conditions for shooting (because there's thick, reflective windows) but you can visit some trade library on top of a skyscraper in the Hong Kong island waterfront.

But the views are great:

https://picasaweb.google.com/wco811/...15120996667794

Of course I went to the Peak as well as Avenue of the stars at night and day. HK though has a haze most of the time I was there.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's an odd one. For Minneapolis, one of the best places to get a skyline view is from I-35W heading into downtown. Observe:

I got one of my best shots that weekend from there.

For other cities I like:

Phoenix, AZ: South Mountain Community Park, especially at night when you can really appreciate the grid system.

San Diego, CA: The water taxi over to Coronado Island
Old May 8, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: FT
View from Skypark, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore

Old May 8, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by waveland
View from Skypark, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore

That's beautiful. Doesn't seem smoggy like HK.

What was the exposure, several seconds on a tripod?
Old May 9, 2012, 12:55 am

Thanks. Exposure was 1/20sec, f/4, ISO 1250. Some post-processing using Lightroom 4, mostly applying "clarity" which increases local contrast.

No tripod. It is not allowed in the Skypark and not that helpful on a building anyways. I just waited for the right moment, dark enough for the night scene but still enough light for a hand-held capture.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:31 am
Suspended

Skypark is some kind of rooftop on a private building?

Tripod would have allowed lowest ISO.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Skypark is some kind of rooftop on a private building?
Skypark is the observation deck of Marina Bay Sands hotel:
http://www.marinabaysands.com/Sands-SkyPark/
Old May 13, 2012, 6:07 am

For Singapore, you can also try the bar on top of Raffles Place, 1Altitude. You probably can't get a tripod in there, but it has some great views. If you want the typical Merlion and skyline from the Marina view, take a taxi to Esplande. This is very nice around 7pm, right at sunset. (Since Singapore is just north of the equator, sunrise and sunset times are pretty static at about ~7:15 each the whole year)

If you have a clear day and a really long lens, go out to Bedok Jetty. It's maybe 15 minutes by cab from CBD. You can get a very wide angle of the East Coast and the skyline. (more of the skyline the longer your lens is). It's also an excellent spot to capture nice storm clouds rolling in.

For Tokyo, two places I can recommend that I just got back from last week, almost the same view in each. Park Hyatt Tokyo (hotel from Lost in Translation) and Tokyo Opera City. These are the tallest and furthest west buildings in Shinjuku skyscraper city. They have some nice unique views of their own. My favorite was of Yoyogi Park / Meiji Shrine with Tokyo Tower/Roppongi in the back. For Park Hyatt, you can get into the lounge on 42 pretty easily. For Tokyo Opera City, there are a bunch of relatively inexpensive (~1500y for lunch) restaurants on 54th floor that have great views. Tripods may be a problem in both though.

DrMarkF on page 4 had some of the best advice for Hong Kong. Go to the peak, but walk along the trail west for excellent shots. Another great option on a clear day is some of the views from Lion Rock. The Promenade in TST is nice, but thats the shot everyone takes. If you want to see some amazing shots of HK and get idea for places to shoot from, you can check a friend's facebook page: facebook.com/HongKongHDR

In Chicago, Alder Planetarum/Museum campus is indeed tops. John Hancock is nice, but you have to deal with tinted glass.

In San Francisco, there are a series of building rooftops designated "public gardens". These are excellent spots. Many buildings keep them very discreet though; I believe they were only installed as a way to get the permit from the city or some kind of tax break. If you Google a bit, you can find articles on them. The other two good spots are from Treasure/Yerba Buena Island (take the Bay Bridge east to Oakland, it is the only exit from the bridge in the middle, on the left. ) Also, Twin Peaks, which is the "Noe Valley radio tower" mentioned earlier.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:13 am

I took this with my iPhone from the Park Hyatt Tokyo. I also realized the TMGB talked about is the building right next to Park Hyatt, so similar views.

Unfortunately there is glare you can see
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:42 pm

A few other not-so-typical skyline vantage points for Hong Kong :

Jardine's Lookout

Pedestrian bridge from Causeway Bay typhoon shelter to Victoria Park

Ocean Terminal parking lot in Tsim Sha Tsui

Fei Ngo Shan

Tai Shan, Lantau

Photo sources :
http://www.pbase.com/specialteam
http://www.fotop.net/poon_jeffrey
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:17 pm
Suspended

When was Hong Kong so clear of haze/smog?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by wco81
When was Hong Kong so clear of haze/smog?
Summer is usually the best time since the winds come from the south, blowing fresh ocean air. The only exception is when a typhoon approaches or is in the vicinity, such as these past few days, when the air stays still and gets trapped.

Winds blow from the north during the winter, carrying pollution from China into town.

We've had so many spectacular days so far this summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.