FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Best places for skyline shots in various cities. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1107121-best-places-skyline-shots-various-cities.html)

MastaHanky Jul 19, 2010 11:26 am

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

On a recent trip to YVR I was hoping to get some night-time skyline pictures. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find a decent location to take a shot from (Stanley Park was too far away) and came up empty-handed.

I figured I would start a thread where we can all chime in with our suggestions on where to take skyline shots in various cities - hopefully one of us will find it useful.

I'll start with two obvious ones:

Tokyo: Roppongi Hills Mori Tower (requires admission - ¥1,800)
Hong Kong: The Peak (requires admission - HK$56)

DCATravel Jul 20, 2010 9:17 am

Sydney - Taronga Zoo
Pittsburgh - Mt. Washington

SMF2SAN Jul 21, 2010 12:19 am

Montreal - atop Mont Royal

tusphotog Jul 22, 2010 4:34 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Seattle from Kerry Park on Queen Anne hill. On the one day a year it's sunny.

I also love San Francisco from the Marin Headlands or from treasure island framed by the suspension portion of the bay bridge.

donnde Jul 22, 2010 8:53 am

Chicago -- Adler Planetarium

jbjelloid Jul 22, 2010 8:54 am

Toronto - Centre Island

Gardyloo Jul 22, 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 14344840)

Or from Harbor Avenue in West Seattle by day or the Hamilton Viewpoint right above it at sunset/night.

mapu Jul 22, 2010 9:43 am

Vienna from Cobenzl
Budapest from Citadella
Prague from the castle
San Diego from Cabrillo N.M.
Las Vegas from I-15
San Francisco from Golden Gate N.R.A.
Seattle from the Eagle Harbor ferry

icedancer Jul 23, 2010 9:06 am

San Francisco -- Noe Valley area near the radio tower
(this is a residential area that most people would have no reason to go to, but it's relatively accessible by MUNI train to the Castro and the view is unbelievable).

thomas199023 Jul 24, 2010 5:50 pm

What would be the best place to take a skyline night shot of Manhattan?

SeAAttle Jul 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Seattle from Kerry Park on Queen Anne hill.

If the view of Mt. Rainier today is anything like yesterday, the rise of the full moon will be a spectacular sight from Kerry Park

clrankin Jul 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023 (Post 14359187)

I've got a friend who lives in some townhomes along the river in West New York, NJ-- a very short distance from one of the ferries into Manhattan. The sunset views from the shore in his development are great. There is also a hill very close by to his place (not sure what it's named) and the view from on top of the hill is simply amazing.

Sorry I don't have any more specific information (or pictures) for this at the moment... maybe someone else who is more familiar with that area can help on the specifics.

point bonita lighthouse Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I also love San Francisco from the Marin Headlands or from treasure island framed by the suspension portion of the bay bridge.

I agree there is an amazing shot that incorporates the Golden gate bridge the city of San Francisco and if timed at the right time a rising full moon just off the Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin headlands.

sbm12 Jul 27, 2010 6:39 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023 (Post 14359187)

Brooklyn Promenade or Brooklyn Bridge Park are good options if you want to be on the east side looking west at lower Manhattan.

TIMP Jul 28, 2010 6:50 am

Hobart has to be Mt Wellington, or you could try Mt Nelson lookout.
Brisbane is definately Mt Cootha.