Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Any "safe" advice for Miami? I'm asking because last time I was at two locations, neither of them quite nice. First one was on some dark "parking lot" next to MacArthur Causeway with all kinds of suspicious people running around there, second one was on that particular causeway with lots of bridge motion due to the traffic, resulting in blurred pictures despite using a tripod.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AP, MP
Originally Posted by Bence_Coronation
That will show the downtown.
the small observation point behind this will give you a view with Olympic tower.
Actually I think the best place for Montreal is the south shore - along route 132
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:33 am

Best places to shoot chicago skyline
1)Rush universty parking garage
2)From a boat
3)North Evenue beach
4)The Navy Pier parking garage
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethan006
2)From a boat
3)North Evenue beach
Or an eastbound takeoff from ORD over the city:

Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ethan006
2)From a boat
3)North Evenue beach
Or:
From the Alder Planetarium.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Canberra:
1) hot-air balloon ride - I kid you not, this was what I did
2) Australian War Memorial, facing towards Parliament House

Sydney:
1) Milsons Point Wharf just outside Luna Park, and keep walking east along the shoreline till you can't walk any further, and you'll have to turn back - this was actually my favourite out of all those I tried
2) Mrs MacQuaries Chair - will be a long-ish walk out of the area after dark if you don't drive
3) 4th floor (or the top floor, I don't remember exactly) of the Overseas Passenger Terminal Building - it's almost the same view as the pricey Quay restaurant but for free and no one else there!
4) Pylon Lookout on the Sydney Harbour Bridge - 12 AUD for adults, a bit tricky to find the Bridge Steps entrance on the south (The Rocks) side, a bit easier to find the entrance on the Milsons Point side
5) Bradley's Head Amphitheatre
6) Ferry between Milsons Point and Circular Quay
7) Cremorne Wharf if you have a wide-angle lens
8) Sydney Tower - requires admission fee

San Francisco:
1) Fort Mason - or actually, the long pier thingy sticking out just before you climb upwards to Fort Mason
2) Grand View Park - in the Mission area, climb the famous artsy stairs and a bit more to get up

Penang: from on top of the Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera)

Milan: rooftop of the Duomo - the rooftop itself is amazing, not just the view

Cologne: on top of the Dom - only 1 EUR to go up but be prepared for a lot of exercise!

Stuttgart: TV Tower

Heidelberg:
1) Philosophenweg, on the north bank of the river
2) the Castle itself
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by ellyse
Sydney:
1) Milsons Point Wharf just outside Luna Park, and keep walking east along the shoreline till you can't walk any further, and you'll have to turn back - this was actually my favourite out of all those I tried
2) Mrs MacQuaries Chair - will be a long-ish walk out of the area after dark if you don't drive
3) 4th floor (or the top floor, I don't remember exactly) of the Overseas Passenger Terminal Building - it's almost the same view as the pricey Quay restaurant but for free and no one else there!
4) Pylon Lookout on the Sydney Harbour Bridge - 12 AUD for adults, a bit tricky to find the Bridge Steps entrance on the south (The Rocks) side, a bit easier to find the entrance on the Milsons Point side
5) Bradley's Head Amphitheatre
6) Ferry between Milsons Point and Circular Quay
7) Cremorne Wharf if you have a wide-angle lens
8) Sydney Tower - requires admission fee
This is a really good list, I'd also add McMahon's Point for the Bridge and Opera House in the same shot.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
This is a really good list, I'd also add McMahon's Point for the Bridge and Opera House in the same shot.
Thanks, I did quite a bit of research and legwork when I visited Sydney last Aug. I also went to McMahons Point but felt it paled in comparison to Milsons Point. The city skyline is a tad small unless you have a good zoom/wide-angle lens, I prefer the scale at Milsons Point.

Another couple of interesting spots that I don't usually see recommended for Sydney:
9) Walking from McMahons Point to Wendy's Secret Garden, there's a spot on the shore (public, not private) that you can get the city skyline with some interesting foreground eg boats on the sand.
10) Further along nearer to Wendy's Secret Garden, you can get the city skyline again, now with the trains/rail yard in the foreground.
That said, I don't recommend walking from McMahons Point to Wendy's Secret Garden. Most of the shoreline along Lavender Bay is private, so you'll need to hike further up, away from the shoreline, and walk on streets of residential housing, not very interesting and potentially frustrating and tiring since you'll need to keep checking which road to walk on. It's much easier and nearer to walk from Milsons Point and walk back the same way.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:38 am

Chicago:
1) Reflected in the Bean
2) From Navy Pier
3) From a high-rise in the Hyde Park area - sorry, this was my friend's apartment so anyone wanting to try this will have to find their own spot!

Paris: from the rooftop café of some department store somewhere in the NW of the city proper - sorry, don't remember where exactly as I was taken there by friends... maybe someone who knows Paris better can help?

Shanghai:
1) From the breakfast room of the Broadway Mansions Hotel - probably a bit difficult unless you're staying there, but has a nice view with the Garden Bridge in the foreground
2) Hyatt on the Bund (stayed there) or any of the hotels along the Bund eg Peninsula
3) Skyscraper/observation deck opportunities abound on the east side of the river, eg Grand Hyatt/Jinmao Tower, Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Park Hyatt/Shanghai World Financial Centre - for a freebie, go to the reception of the Grand Hyatt (halfway up the Jinmao Tower), or Riverside Promenade. For a cheapie/better value than the observation decks, eat at one of the restaurants in the end of the Super Brand Mall that's near the waterfront.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by ellyse
Thanks, I did quite a bit of research and legwork when I visited Sydney last Aug. I also went to McMahons Point but felt it paled in comparison to Milsons Point. The city skyline is a tad small unless you have a good zoom/wide-angle lens, I prefer the scale at Milsons Point.

Another couple of interesting spots that I don't usually see recommended for Sydney:
9) Walking from McMahons Point to Wendy's Secret Garden, there's a spot on the shore (public, not private) that you can get the city skyline with some interesting foreground eg boats on the sand.
10) Further along nearer to Wendy's Secret Garden, you can get the city skyline again, now with the trains/rail yard in the foreground.
That said, I don't recommend walking from McMahons Point to Wendy's Secret Garden. Most of the shoreline along Lavender Bay is private, so you'll need to hike further up, away from the shoreline, and walk on streets of residential housing, not very interesting and potentially frustrating and tiring since you'll need to keep checking which road to walk on. It's much easier and nearer to walk from Milsons Point and walk back the same way.
Wow great info. Good to know. Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Los Angeles, has anyone mentioned the view from Griffith Observatory.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:31 am

Seattle Skyline, Mt. Rainer & Ferry from Kerry Park last September:

Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
The view from the Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Gene Leahy Mall in Omaha:

Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have a recommendation for Berlin? I’m finding myself with a tripod and some time to kill tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.