"In Memory"

Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I am faced with the daunting decision to put my dog of 12 years down soon. He was diagnosed with cancer and has lived so much longer then the vet originally thought. However, he has struggled more and more each day to get up. It pains me so much to see him like this now. I have made the decision to put him down this Friday. A thoughtful neighbor has graciously given me a phone number of a local vet that will come to the house and help with the transition. I am ok with the decision but I am sure I will be a complete basket case by Friday.

Now I know what other FTers felt (or are feeling) when it came to their pets.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I am faced with the daunting decision to put my dog of 12 years down soon. He was diagnosed with cancer and has lived so much longer then the vet originally thought. However, he has struggled more and more each day to get up. It pains me so much to see him like this now. I have made the decision to put him down this Friday. A thoughtful neighbor has graciously given me a phone number of a local vet that will come to the house and help with the transition. I am ok with the decision but I am sure I will be a complete basket case by Friday.

Now I know what other FTers felt (or are feeling) when it came to their pets.
So sorry to hear you had to make a decision like this. I made a similar one a couple years back when I had to say goodbye to my friend, Stinker (yup that was his well-deserved name). It was the right thing and I knew it, but it was still so hard to get through.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:32 am

It is a horrible thing with which to be faced. A pet is a member of the family, no question about it. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. You just know when the time is right and it sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I'm so sorry. It takes time to heal.

There is a lengthy thread on OMNI on death of a pet. Maybe you might want to take a look over there so you can see that you aren't alone with these feelings.

Bobette
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Threads like this cause me to hug my kibblers extra tight as often as I can!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:07 am

Today, Skippy took that quiet journey over the rainbow bridge. While I am heartbroken and I can't stop crying, I know it was for the best. Today is the first time that he is painfree in a very long time. I can look back and remember all the great times we shared, the road trips we took, the walks that we went on. All bring a smile to my face through the many tears of today (and the last week). Take some time today and give an extra hug to your pet today. Thank you to those that have posted so many kind words.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:44 am

Today, Skippy took that quiet journey over the rainbow bridge. While I am heartbroken and I can't stop crying, I know it was for the best. Today is the first time that he is painfree in a very long time. I can look back and remember all the great times we shared, the road trips we took, the walks that we went on. All bring a smile to my face through the many tears of today (and the last week). Take some time today and give an extra hug to your pet today. Thank you to those that have posted so many kind words.
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'll be keeping you and Skippy in my prayers. And, as you suggest, I'll give my pups an extra hug.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry to hear about Skippy - remember the good times. I can guarantee you that he does. Dogs have memories and anyone who has watched a dog sleep knows that they have dreams as well.

Continue to go on the walks that you two did together - it'll help keep Skippy's memory alive for years to come.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:31 am

I adopted a new dog yesterday (he is a rescue). Harley can never be a substitute for the dog I lost last month but he is fast filling that void. He is a 2 1/2 year old Blue Heeler and loves to travel. I cant wait to take him hiking and camping this year and do a road trip or two back home.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I am so happy for you! And you are right - one dog never "replaces" another, but the newbie will end up with a different place in your heart! (a learning gained after many years and several dogs....)

And props to you for not only adopting, but picking a "hard to place" breed.

Enjoy your new friend!

Last edited by sophiegirl; Apr 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm Reason: Adoption congratulations...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I am so sorry. I love and hug my two Rescue Yorkies any time I can. I will give them a hug for you and Skippy's memory.

One of myYorkies is 16 years old and I know I will be facing this decision pretty soon. I will always be grateful for the time I have been having with her even though I will cry buckets of tears when that awful moment comes.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
In memory of Indy:
===========================================

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY BECAUSE THAT IS HOW MAN'S BEST FRIEND WOULD WANT YOU TO DO IT!
I thought I could be strong, after having taken Noodles to the vet and watched his rapid congestive heart failure unfold before my eyes until having to make a difficult decision, until I read these words. After reading this post, I'm torn to pieces, and can only hope he's in a better place. Have no regrets with your pets. They live such a short time of our lives.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:43 am

I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your pet, Noodles, slippahs. Those decisions are always so terribly difficult to make. I'm sure Noodles is in a better place now. R.I.P. Noodles.

Bobette
Old May 12, 2011, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

slippahs, you had a tough decision to make and you acted in Noodles' best interest. Knowing you, I'm confident you provided Noodles with a great life & companiship.

Noodles is in a better place as all dogs go to heaven.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:00 am

I'm sorry to hear about your loss slippahs.

I agree with bhatnasx that all dogs go to heaven, and I do think when we as pet owners get there, we'll have a great welcoming committee waiting for us.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
re: "In Memory"

Thanks everyone. They say time heals all wounds. Just a matter of how much time... Give your dogs an extra pat on the head for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.