Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
sorry for your loss

my condolences...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dibby
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Indy - my condolences. It sounds like you had a great life together that ended very suddenly.

My cat died in my arms 1 week ago and I am surfing FT right now partially as a distraction from thinking about her. It is amazing how the personalities and characters of our pets become such a big part of our lives. Dibby the cat was a great traveler and had been with me for 16 years. We met at the Vancouver Animal Shelter, where she literally stood up in the cage and batted at me to get me to notice her (I second supporting your local shelter/SPCA). I am thankful for all the time we had together, but miss her terribly.

It helped to see your post and know that I`m not the only one going through something like this right now. I hope that it helps you to know that too. Sending sympathetic thoughts your way.
And I'm sending some sympathetic thoughts to you as well, dibby - I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It does get easier, though it's weird coming home from work every day to an empty house.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
bhatnasx, how are you holding up?
I'm doing okay., thank you for asking. After having Indy cremated, I took her ashes back to Virginia the weekend of December 7th (FWIW, I had no issues with the TSA, carry-on). Two of my college housemates & another good friend of mine drove down to Goshen, VA to a campground near the Calf Pasture River & scattered her ashes down there. It was a campground I used to take her too when I was in college & need to "get away from it all".

I actually remember one time we went down there (after college) & it started raining so bad that the backpacking tent I brought started to soak through. So, I gathered up as much as I could & went for the back of my pickup truck with her. I had a cap on the truck, but it turns out that the last time I took it off & put it back on, I didn't line up the cap with the rails very well & I woke up in the morning with Indy lying on my chest because we were in about 2 inches of water in the back of my truck (due to the angle I was parked). We ended up driving to the nearest parking structure I could think of (the JMU stadium parking garage) and drying out there for a few hours before contiuing on the trip.

When I got her cremated, the place I went to took a hair clipping & a paw print & matted it (with space for a picture) and a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem. Although I haven't decided for sure or not, I was thinking of getting a tattoo of Indy's paw print with the words "Fare you well" (from Brokedown Palace, one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs - and a song I've found myself listening too - partially because it's a beautiful song & partially because I scattered her ashes in a river & partially because the town's only real restaurant, has a weeping willow near the river & it's a well known tree in the town - which probably doesn't make sense unless you've spent a lot of time in Goshen, VA). I haven't fully decided on the tattoo as yet - I've got one other one & have been thinking about getting a second for a while, so this may be it - as I've said before, Indy was a hell of a dog...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
It sounds like a very nice plaque, and if you were going to get another tattoo, it sounds like that might be a winner.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
bhatnasx I've only seen this thread as I haven't been on FT much over the last few months. I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand how you must be feeling as when my late husband took ill, we bought him a yorkie ---Lady Penelope-------for company for when he would leave hospital, but unfortunately that wasn't to be. However I kept her and on Wednesday she got on to the road and was killed.
I am so sad as she was great company and great fun and I had grown to love her in a very short time. I believe she was sent to help me during a very difficullt period in my life.
For you to have had your lovely dog for so long must be quite unbearable.
I send my sympathies to you.
Margaret

Last edited by braefoot; Dec 21, 2008 at 3:46 pm
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
very sorry to hear about your loss. I named my dog Indy for the same reason that you did. He's just a puppy (will be three months old this next Tuesday) and I can only hope we'll have as much fun together as you did with your Indy.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by braefoot
bhatnasx I've only seen this thread as I haven't been on FT much over the last few months. I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand how you must be feeling as when my late husband took ill, we bought him a yorkie ---Lady Penelope-------for company for when he would leave hospital, but unfortunately that wasn't to be. However I kept her and on Wednesday she got on to the road and was killed.
I am so sad as she was great company and great fun and I had grown to love her in a very short time. I believe she was sent to help me during a very difficullt period in my life.
Margaret
braefoot, I am so very sorry about ..Lady Penelope...
I am glad that she was there for you during your time of grief and loss. My heart goes out to you.
O2K
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by braefoot
Margaret
braefoot, I'm so sorry to hear about Lady Penelope! Angels come in all shapes and sizes, even as yorkies.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

braefoot, I'm sorry about Lady Penelope, but I am glad that you & your late husband had the pleasure of her in your life when you did.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
braefoot - so sorry to hear about Lady Penelope. I'm glad you got to enjoy time together and she was able to help you through a bad time.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'm doing okay., thank you for asking. After having Indy cremated, I took her ashes back to Virginia ...
Sounds like a lovely way of remembering her and celebrating her life.

Condolences to braefoot also regarding Lady Penelope.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:38 pm

So sad

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 31, 2008 at 2:32 pm Reason: Removed the OP's original post.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:09 am

The ASPCA newsletter had an article on coping with the loss of your pet over the holidays.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...salert010209#4

They also have another page about it, at http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...e=pets_petloss
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Two of my college housemates & another good friend of mine drove down to Goshen, VA to a campground near the Calf Pasture River & scattered her ashes down there. . . . the town's only real restaurant, has a weeping willow near the river & it's a well known tree in the town - which probably doesn't make sense unless you've spent a lot of time in Goshen, VA).

Somehow it seems that we should not outlive our dogs, especially when they start out as such rambunctious puppies.

And I know Goshen well. Oddly, the most recent time I was there, my extended family scattered my dad's cousin's ashes as he had requested in his will. He had gone to camp along its shores as a child during WWII, and knew it as a place he could be a boy without any thought of the world around him.

I know Indy must have loved it too.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that you are doing ok.

I lost my rabbit over the summer while I was overseas, so I hope that 2009 will be a better year for us pet lovers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.