Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by peachfront
...Talk to a police officer sometime, or study your local crime reports. ...
A good idea. Do you think many police officers would recommend going for the gun in an armed robbery?

Yes, yes, I can see the response already: how do we know it's only an armed robbery? Let's put it this way, in a situation where someone pulls a gun at you and demands your purse/wallet, do you think any police officer will recommend that you go for the gun or otherwise attack if you have the opportunity?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:33 pm

Or you can use Google to ask this question to police officers:

http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/POLICE/armedrob.html

What to do if an Armed Robbery Occurs:

Don't try to be a hero. It's better to lose your money than your life.

Instruct all employees that in the event of an armed robbery, no one is to take any action that will jeopardize his or her personal safety or the safety of customers.

Advise every staff member to keep the following suggestions in mind:

- Try to remain calm.

- Consider all firearms to be loaded.

- Follow all directions given by robber.

- Avoid any action that might excite the robber or cause him/her to be violent.

- Be alert to the direction and manner of escape.

- Get as much information as possible about the suspect(s) and any vehicle involved, including the plate number if at all possible.

That's just an example -- there are all sorts of police departments that say the same thing. See if you can find one, anywhere in the world, that recommends that you consider taking on the armed robber.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
True. There are men and there are idiots like you and most others on this thread who prefer to use their fists instead of their tiny brains.
Sigh. Sometimes the smart response IS violence. Without knowing the circumstances in this case, how can you say otherwise?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by blueeyes_austin
Sigh. Sometimes the smart response IS violence. Without knowing the circumstances in this case, how can you say otherwise?
Sure, like when a man tries to force a woman/child into a car. I've seen police recommend giving maximum resistance to that, as the odds of survival are poor if you get into that car.

In this thread, though, several here seem to suggest fighting when the only thing an armed robber has done is demand something of value and threaten you with deadly force. The press reports indicate this is the extent of what happened in Costa Rica. Like I mentioned above, in this circumstance, it is highly imprudent to fight back (within your rights, sure, but that's not what I'm talking about). I doubt you can find a single police department to disagree with the idea of not fighting an armed robber.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
There are men and there are idiots like you and most others on this thread who prefer to use their fists instead of their tiny brains.
And yet you persist in a defense of a person who chose to use his "fist" -- a gun to attempt to commit an armed robbery -- rather than his brain. How ironic!

Good riddance to the mugger. The septuagenarian, retired Marine deserves another shiny medal to pin to his chest. ^
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
And yet you persist in a defense of a person who chose to use his "fist" -- a gun to attempt to commit an armed robbery -- rather than his brain. How ironic!

Good riddance to the mugger. The septuagenarian, retired Marine deserves another shiny medal to pin to his chest. ^
I agree completely. I simply do not understand Sjoerd at all. Without any information beyond what is in the very abbreviated newspaper reports, and against all the information that was reported, he has decided that the Marine is a murderer who should be prosecuted for killing the armed mugger. I don't get it at all.

Last edited by PTravel; Feb 27, 2007 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
Real bright tourists.
As naive as they were, they fought back! Absolutely impressive!!!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:36 pm

I see. You missed a few thousand years of civilization.
So peachfront doesn't see the mugger as the victim as you do, then he/she missed a few thousand years of civilization. How many times have you pat yourself on the back today?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront
I'm not a mind reader. If a man accosts me with a loaded gun, I have to assume that he intends to maim or kill me.... If you don't want people to assume you're a rapist and/or killer, don't point your gun at women's heads. It's not rocket science.
Common sense all the way. My life and the lives of my loved ones are too precious to assume that a mugger's gun is anything but something used to kill or rape.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Confederate Hokie
I just get so ticked off at people who want to jump to the defense of the poor innocent POS that decided to rape, stab, rob, kill (insert henious crime here). If some of you want to roll over and play dead, by all means, go right ahead. You're only a victim if you decide to be (in a case like this, before anyone flames me )
There are people who "feel" that the criminal is the real victim. Forget the woman he rapes or the man he kills. It's really about the criminal and how he is the real victim. Does a load of garbage get any bigger than that?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Common sense all the way. My life and the lives of my loved ones are too precious to assume that a mugger's gun is anything but something used to kill or rape.
So are you then questioning the universal advice of police departments not to challenge an armed robber who demands your purse?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I'm not sure where all this is going, I guess everyone can yell at each other for another 1000 posts. Some people have stated they might fight back, some stated some won't fight back, I don't think there's anyway to change anyone's mind after those 1000 posts. Is this still really a newsstand discussion or Omni/travel safety and security thread now?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
So are you then questioning the universal advice of police departments not to challenge an armed robber who demands your purse?
I am so glad you asked me. I was mugged during my freshman year in college in Baltimore. My mindset changed that very day. Some street kid came up behind me with knife to my neck. I wasn't thinking that maybe he wanted my purse. I assumed right then and there I was about to be raped. So my knee-jerk reaction was to step on him and hard as I could and then turn around and kick him in the groin. My foot landed at the scrotum (yes, I'm using that word ) and I then ran and screamed. I was so lucky!!! This was around 11:45am on a Sunday morning on St Paul Street between 32nd and 33rd street for anybody reading who knows Baltimore.

So armed robbers may not exactly follow the model you quoted above.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
A good idea. Do you think many police officers would recommend going for the gun in an armed robbery?
If you were a trained marine or LEO, I do suspect so.

No one expects you to fight back personally if you are not up for it, for whatever reason. People need to do what they think best improves their own odds in a given situation.

Edit to say the advise you quoted law enforcement as offering appear to be aimed at shopkeepers.

Last edited by birdstrike; Feb 27, 2007 at 2:41 pm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
I am so glad you asked me. I was mugged during my freshman year in college in Baltimore. My mindset changed that very day. Some street kid came up behind me with knife to my neck. I wasn't thinking that maybe he wanted my purse. I assumed right then and there I was about to be raped. So my knee-jerk reaction was to step on him and hard as I could and then turn around and kick him in the groin. My foot landed at the scrotum (yes, I'm using that word ) and I then ran and screamed.
Good for you Analise!

I trust the women on this thread are familiar with the Model Mugging program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.