Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
People from the Netherlands are really very strange. ...
A bit sweeping, don't you think? Removing tens of thousands of Aboriginal children from their parents and sending them off to be abused laborers was a little strange (to say the very least) of Australia, don't you think? Still, it doesn't define Australians (then or now) any more than conspiracy theorists define the Dutch.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
The only other thing I'll add is this: if you're in a situation when you must use physical force or deadly force to defend yourself, you have to understand that it's an all-or-nothing commitment. The best situation is one when you can fight your attacker long enough to escape to safety. Otherwise, it's a fight to the death. If he pulls a gun on you, then by definition there is intent to kill you. Strike the eyes, throat, groin and just below the sternum with all your strength, pull hair, nostrils and ears, kick the instep, shins and kneecaps. When the attacker falls, get away as quickly as possible and run to a safe place. Don't stop to hold hands, sing Kumbaya or pray to any deity until you are far and away from danger.
Good points Bart. There are many details that are missing about this story. I believe the Marine made a decision based upon his expert evaluation of the situation. The Costa Rican officials reviewed the situation and concluded that he took reasonable action.

Whatever you might believe about violence, war, etc. the US Marine Corps does an incredible job of training men and women. I used to believe that it was just alot of swagger and arrogance. When my son decided to enlist, I learned a great deal about the Corps very quickly. The Marines are not perfect, but they are exceptionally well trained and productive. OOOHRAH to all you Marines out there from this very proud Marine Mom! ^
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:48 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by Bart; Feb 9, 2008 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Thanks, but just a minor point of order: I'm a soldier not a Marine; however, I share your respect for the Marines.

I agree with what you said but would add that I believe the Army, Marines, Navy and, yes, even the Air Force, enhance the character that already exists in most recruits. Of course, there are always exceptions to any rule; however, many of these young kids are not the way they are by accident. Someone, and most often one or both parents, gave them the foundation that military instructors are able to shape and form into the qualities necessary for a highly-motivated, a**-kicking warrior.

From this perspective, HOOAH! to all you moms and other family members!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
LOL Thanks for the kudos. I guess it just proves there some good guys in the other forces as well.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:48 pm

Aww, looks like we've all managed to drive Sjoerd, perhaps the only voice of dissent on this whole issue, completely out of the forum. No one to really attack anymore. This thread has gotten really boring.

For the record, I posted this during a bout of insomnia and was hoping it help me fall asleep. It might just work. <eyes finally getting heavy>
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yeah, I'm surprised the discussion went this long. I think reasonable people can agree that the Marine was there on the ground and we weren't. He obviously knew what he was doing and did it very well. As for the perp, too bad, so sad, world's tiniest violin.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:38 am

I was wondering....

How many of you think a tourist / visitor to the US pulling such a stunt there would be given a pat on the back and sent sailing in to the sunset with a mere 3 hour delay???

Remember some DPs are throwing jay walking Profs into jail nowdays

Seriously I don't see any tourist to the US getting away without a visit to the local jail house for a substancial period of time while the PD wrap up their investigations. At the very least they would probably be esorted to the airport with the permanent persona non grata stamp in their Passports.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by moeve
I was wondering....

How many of you think a tourist / visitor to the US pulling such a stunt there would be given a pat on the back and sent sailing in to the sunset with a mere 3 hour delay???

Remember some DPs are throwing jay walking Profs into jail nowdays

Seriously I don't see any tourist to the US getting away without a visit to the local jail house for a substancial period of time while the PD wrap up their investigations. At the very least they would probably be esorted to the airport with the permanent persona non grata stamp in their Passports.
Justice in the US will certainly move slower than what we have seen in this case.
Hopefully the outcome would be the same. The bottom line is a THUG is a THUG regardless of their nationality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.