Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I hope the killer will get a proper trial in a court of law, and if found guilty of murder, gets a prison sentence.
Of course the law will be followed properly and expertly. This was not in Aruba!!!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:12 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by dhuey
That's the truth. Even drug-crazed criminals know that there is a world of difference between convictions for armed robbery and murder. The robbers don't want to pull that trigger. Once you go for the gun, though, they are likely to view it as a fight to the death.

I'll hand over the $200 and go home to my wife and kids, thank you.
Maybe...

How can you be so sure?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by RKG
Maybe...

How can you be so sure?
There is no sure either way. But it's surely a fight to the death if I go for that gun. If I hand over the money, he has absolutely no reason to hurt me.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:28 am

That may very well be. After all, it were the Rambos in the American government that believed that they could make the world safer by invading Iraq. And even 4 years into that disaster they still claim they were right.

Now have a look at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
compare the US to most of Europe, and decide for yourself which method works best: "shoot first talk later" or vice versa.

Ahhhhh the true colors are revealed!

This is not a guy saying that a man made a mistake when he killed an attacker, this is a guy saying Americans are violent people and illustrating his angst by dragging war and crime stats into it! Another anti-American looking for an outlet to bash and criticize.

I figured as much from the get-go, but he confirmed it for us.

Sjoerd, you are lucky that not everyone waits until they are attacked before they go after the attackers, otherwise your name may be Heinrich and you may be typing your rants in German!

To the topic at hand... there are men and then there are others. If someone picks a fight using a gun, they better be prepared for the consequences. Everyone is talking about what would have happened if the guy had not killed the perp... well, if EVERYONE who was being robbed fought back, then there would be a lot less robberies!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:32 am

There is no sure either way. But it's surely a fight to the death if I go for that gun. If I hand over the money, he has absolutely no reason to hurt me.
If a man is standing there pointing a gun at you and saying he is going to kill you, at what point do you establish that it's "surely a fight to the death"???? After the bullet is already traveling through your brain or when your limp body hits the ground? Do you jump side to side and hope he misses and then you begin your rebuttal?

I think your heart is in the right place dhuey but the real world is not as cut and dry. Reason doesn't come into the equation. The only reasoning this perp did was that, with a gun, he would be able to rob a busload of people and get away with it. Presumably he's gotten away with it before (after he also assaulted the people as his criminal record appears to show). Someone has put an end to his reasoning that has caused numerous people to be assaulted and robbed. Had everyone followed your line of reasoning and paid their money to be left alone, a perfectly good (and emboldened) armed robber may have flourished into a murdering-robber that we could all be proud of.

How sad that he passed before realizing his potential.... not.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:33 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Finally a voice of reason in a sea of inhumanity.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:42 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by corporate666
Ahhhhh the true colors are revealed!

This is not a guy saying that a man made a mistake when he killed an attacker, this is a guy saying Americans are violent people and illustrating his angst by dragging war and crime stats into it! Another anti-American looking for an outlet to bash and criticize.
No, I merely reacted to someone who believed that Americans would react differently than others given the facts. Read before you comment.

Sjoerd, you are lucky that not everyone waits until they are attacked before they go after the attackers, otherwise your name may be Heinrich and you may be typing your rants in German!
Oooooh so booooring. I have heard these kinds of stupid remarks thousands of times.

And very funny that you mention WW2, too. Didn't the USA, back in the Second World War, wait until they were attacked before they went after the attackers? Hehe

To the topic at hand... there are men and then there are others.
True. There are men and there are idiots like you and most others on this thread who prefer to use their fists instead of their tiny brains.

If someone picks a fight using a gun, they better be prepared for the consequences. Everyone is talking about what would have happened if the guy had not killed the perp... well, if EVERYONE who was being robbed fought back, then there would be a lot less robberies!
Nonsense. There would be many more VIOLENT crimes. Criminals would shoot first instead of threaten to shoot and just run with the loot.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:21 am

If I hand over the money, he has absolutely no reason to hurt me.
Grab a dictionary. Look up "witness".
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:28 am
RKG

And very funny that you mention WW2, too. Didn't the USA, back in the Second World War, wait until they were attacked before they went after the attackers? Hehe

Nonsense. There would be many more VIOLENT crimes. Criminals would shoot first instead of threaten to shoot and just run with the loot.
Your logic amazes me. Yes, the Americans were attacked first by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. Then the Americans went after the attackers. The muggers attacked first and then the former marine went after the attackers.

Just what is your point?

I do not believe there would be more violent crimes as you state. There would be fewer muggers out there simply because, thank God, not everyone subscribes to your pacifist views.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:04 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
That may very well be. After all, it were the Rambos in the American government that believed that they could make the world safer by invading Iraq. And even 4 years into that disaster they still claim they were right.

Now have a look at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
compare the US to most of Europe, and decide for yourself which method works best: "shoot first talk later" or vice versa.
Well I dont think this is about our rambo goverment as you want to call it but more of a personel thing on what an individual would do in a situation like this. To be honest I don not think anyone knows what they would do unless they are face to face with the person looking to harm them. I beleave that if this was a simple robbery sure give him your wallet and he moves on but it does not look like that was his intent. The problem is are you dealing with a professional or some strung out doper looking for his next high. The difference is the the one on dope is unstable and likely to shoot someone for no reason. I beleave you would have to be there to figure it out. In this case I feel like they beleave that they were going to be harmed even if they gave him there money and wallets.
Regarding myself well to be honest I always carry a hand gun and enjoy the right I have to do so in this country. I would have no problem giving a person my wallet and then shooting him to retrive it back. I did read your graph and find it interesting and I say if no one has a gun great but if the criminals can have one so can I but that is another debate about guns which is not about this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by FinsUp99
Grab a dictionary. Look up "witness".
No need for that, as I already knew the term.

If he thinks he needs to kill me because I'm a witness, why did he bother holding me up in the first place? Why not simply walk up from behind me and shoot me in the back of the head?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
If the mugger was capable of thought and planning in the first place, he'd have a real job. People become muggers because they are scumbags who aren't even smart enough to make it as pickpockets. They are extraordinarily stupid people. It isn't even like people carry so much cash these days, so each time the creeps do an armed robbery, they are risking the chance of shooting someone and life in prison for generally a few hundred dollars at best.

Talk to a police officer sometime, or study your local crime reports. Find out for yourself how many of these people are impaired by drugs and/or mental and emotional handicaps. If you expect sweet reason from these people, then you are just not in the real world. Highly educated, logical rocket scientists do not hold up buses full of old people to begin with.

In the end, no one knows -- not even you -- what would happen if the old people had just rolled over. I'm going to respect the judgment of the Marine who was actually on the scene and in the best position to figure where the situation was going.

If he thinks he needs to kill me because I'm a witness, why did he bother holding me up in the first place? Why not simply walk up from behind me and shoot me in the back of the head?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:53 am

Oooooh so booooring. I have heard these kinds of stupid remarks thousands of times.

Maybe you have heard these remarks thousands of times because they are true. I was not aware that Germany attacked the USA on USA soil during WW2! I thought it was Japan all along. The navigators on those US ships must have been really stupid to set sail for Japan and wind up on the beaches in Normandy! But, your theory of dont-get-involved worked very well for the Netherlands in WW2. After declaring neutrality, your country was overrun in record time. Not getting involved until you were attacked worked quite well though, because the Dutch only had the highest number of people killed per capita of all countries in WW2. Great job, team!

True. There are men and there are idiots like you and most others on this thread who prefer to use their fists instead of their tiny brains.
Personal attacks are against forum rules. I thought you were a pacifist? Why the need to reply with insults? People who resort to such generally don't have much else to say. Be thankful that some folk are willing to stand up and fight for their freedom - ~200,000 brave dutch may have a different idea than you on pacifism in light of recent history.

Do you just make things up and pass them off as fact? Why start now letting things like facts get in the way of a good argument! Crime generally goes up as people act as sheep. Pacifism didn't work out to well for 200k Dutch and it doesn't work out too well when confronted by a violent criminal who intends to do you harm. You are a big fan of crime stats - look at stats on violent crime in the UK as gun laws have been tightened up. Look at violent crime stats in varying states in the US in in relation to how strict gun laws are. Then come back and bring the 'A' game, no more of this feel-good minor league stuff.

Sometimes men need to grow a spine and be men. Don't worry though - there's always the possibility a Marine will be in the vicinity next time someone wants to attack you. I'm sure you'll get a good look at his face as he saves your butt so you can champion his prosecution and incarceration after he's finished
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:55 am

Finally a voice of reason in a sea of inhumanity.
Voice of reason ha thats a good one! More like the voice hoping the guy is somewhat rational and will not kill you.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:06 am

[QUOTE=Sjoerd;7294036]Based on the information we have, the case is not clear cut at all. Most likely, by giving up their wallets the mugger would have left without harming anyone.

For what reason should these folks have given their money up? None! You enrage me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.