Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
No, I wouldn't. The marine managed to disarm the mugger this time, but next time the mugger may be a little quicker and pull the trigger before the marine is able to do anything.
I think what you are trying to say is that this mugger won't have another chance to attack anyone slower than our well trained Marine. ^
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
I wonder how were they able to get to the mugger without getting shot?
The mugger didn't have the proper training and stood too close to his victims.

If someone draws on you from 10 ft. away and says put your wallet on the ground, it is probably best to do so.

If they walk up and stick a gun in your face then you have a fighting chance to take it away from them.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Based on the information we have, the case is not clear cut at all. Most likely, by giving up their wallets the mugger would have left without harming anyone.

Sure there may be such situations. But not this one it seems. It looks like we have seen an old Rambo who was only too happy to be given a chance to play his old games again.

Based on the information we have, the case is not clear cut at all. Most likely, by giving up their wallets the mugger would have left without harming anyone.

Nobody was raped in this case.

Highly, very highly unlikely.

Even if you don't agree with me, how would you have reacted if 1) the marine had been a bit slower and/or 2) the mugger had been a bit quicker and consequently 3) the 54 year old woman had been killed?

Highly unlikely. He would have gone for the gun first, right? Do people carry guns on their necks? So in all likelyhood, our Rambo disarmed the mugger first and then decided to kill him.

Unbelieveable - you jump straight to the defence of the criminal. Mind if I jump straight to the conclusion that you are an idiot?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
That way lies madness. Sorry, I'm not a psychic. I gotta assume the guy holding a gun on me is going to rape or kill me. Why? I'm guessing you are a man. I bet the overwhelming majority of those armed robberies where no rape occurred involved male on male crime. Rape is a crime of opportunity.

Can we agree that the Marine, and obviously a well-trained fit Marine, was there and you weren't? I've got to trust the judgment of the man who was there before I trust the judgment of internet backseat drivers.

Originally Posted by dhuey
You do not have to assume that someone pointing a gun at you intends to harm you. You could assume that they are threatening to harm you if you don't do as they say (e.g., hand over the money). Indeed, if they really intend to harm you, why would they even bother with the formalities of telling you "your money or your life"?

In 2005, there were 417,122 armed robberies, 16,692 murder/manslaughters and 93,934 rapes. So, obviously the vast majority of robberies are strictly about robbing.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_01.html
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:49 pm

I hope the post is not deleted. It's my thoughts exactly. Maybe the Marine was from the South!

Originally Posted by Confederate Hokie
What kind of touchie feelie happy horse dung is this? My dad is a career LEO and firearms instructor. He always taught me never to point a firearm at anything I didn't intend to shoot. And never shoot anything you don't intend to kill. The POS pointed a loaded weapon at the head of an elderly woman. I don't give a hairy rats butt what neighborhood they were in. He got exactly what he deserved. Damn fine job Marine !!^

Ain't that the truth.

Safe travels.

Tim

PS to the Moderator, sorry if this is too much. Please delete it if you feel necessary. Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:52 pm

That's funny. Because the police said the young creep was known to be responsible for several ASSAULTS. They didn't say he took the money and ran. They said "assaults." Nobody was raped in THIS case because he broke the lowlife's neck. We don't know how many people the lowlife has raped on previous occasions.

Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by peachfront
That way lies madness. Sorry, I'm not a psychic. I gotta assume the guy holding a gun on me is going to rape or kill me. Why? I'm guessing you are a man. I bet the overwhelming majority of those armed robberies where no rape occurred involved male on male crime. Rape is a crime of opportunity.

Can we agree that the Marine, and obviously a well-trained fit Marine, was there and you weren't? I've got to trust the judgment of the man who was there before I trust the judgment of internet backseat drivers.
agreed... if you whip out a gun.. expect fire.

Kudos for this former Marine. That young punk won't be terrorizing anyone else.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
... Nobody was raped in THIS case because he broke the lowlife's neck. We don't know how many people the lowlife has raped on previous occasions.
Does this seem like a rape situation to you? It was three muggers threatening a tourist group. Don't you think it is far more likely that this was about nothing more than stealing?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:08 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Thumbs up

very interesting posts. I see many points of view from around the world. I guess being an american maybe makes a difference hear. I have no problem with the outcome he should have shot him with his own gun to make sure he was not going to get up. I think the retired marine did the right thing.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985

Sure there may be such situations. But not this one it seems. It looks like we have seen an old Rambo who was only too happy to be given a chance to play his old games again.

Highly, very highly unlikely.

Even if you don't agree with me, how would you have reacted if 1) the marine had been a bit slower and/or 2) the mugger had been a bit quicker and consequently 3) the 54 year old woman had been killed?

Highly unlikely. He would have gone for the gun first, right? Do people carry guns on their necks? So in all likelyhood, our Rambo disarmed the mugger first and then decided to kill him.
and if a cow had balls it would be a bull.
Loads of speculation on your part.
Next time you are mugged you can hand over your wallet, me I'll fight back.
Have a gun held to your head and see what happens.
If, if and if.
The world is now a better place with one less scumbag.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Does this seem like a rape situation to you? It was three muggers threatening a tourist group. Don't you think it is far more likely that this was about nothing more than stealing?
Speaking for myself, I have never been held up at gunpoint. If I am ever held up at gunpoint, I will not be playing guessing games about the intent of the gun wielder. If I can successfully turn the situation to my advantage, I will do so in a heartbeat. Rolling over and hoping for the best is a distant second as a survival strategy.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
I hope the post is not deleted. It's my thoughts exactly. Maybe the Marine was from the South!
Thanks Peach Like the old Bartles and James commercials, "we thank you for your support"

I just get so ticked off at people who want to jump to the defense of the poor innocent POS that decided to rape, stab, rob, kill (insert henious crime here). If some of you want to roll over and play dead, by all means, go right ahead. You're only a victim if you decide to be (in a case like this, before anyone flames me ).

How can I live the rest of my life, look my father or my kids in the eye if I stood by and watch another helpless human being get murdered if there was SOMETHING, ANYTHING I could do to prevent it.

An old saying in the hills where I grew up, "If you want to hear the music, you gotta pay the fiddler".

</end of rant> </soapbox>

Tim
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Unbelieveable - you jump straight to the defence of the criminal. Mind if I jump straight to the conclusion that you are an idiot?
You may. There is freedom of speech as far as I am concerned. But you are wrong. Now do you have anything constructive to add?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
very interesting posts. I see many points of view from around the world. I guess being an american maybe makes a difference hear.
That may very well be. After all, it were the Rambos in the American government that believed that they could make the world safer by invading Iraq. And even 4 years into that disaster they still claim they were right.

Now have a look at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
compare the US to most of Europe, and decide for yourself which method works best: "shoot first talk later" or vice versa.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Next time you are mugged you can hand over your wallet, me I'll fight back.
Your choice. I'll have a much higher chance of survival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.