Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'll concede that there might be situations where what you observe about the armed robbers gives you reason to think fight or flight is a better option than complying. I think those situations would be rare, though, as the whole harm after you turn over valuables routine is a very poor murder/rape/mayhem strategy. Hence the police recommendations re armed robbery.
It seems pretty clear that you have already made a unilateral decision not to resist a mugger. I have no problem with that. What I fail to see is why you are objecting to other people coming to different conclusions?

You ignored what I pointed out earlier that the police recommendations were not made with any insight into the capabilities of specific individuals to resist. I doubt very much if the LEOs take their own advice here. You ignored the reference I made to the model mugging program. You ignored Analise's (and others) successful resistance to an attacker.

Oh, by the way. PM me for my address. I want you to send me $100 in cash, small bills please.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by birdstrike
...You ignored what I pointed out earlier that the police recommendations were not made with any insight into the capabilities of specific individuals to resist. I doubt very much if the LEOs take their own advice here. You ignored the reference I made to the model mugging program. You ignored Analise's (and others) successful resistance to an attacker.
I believe this sums up my feeling about successful attacks vs. muggers:

...What about the more practical consideration of risking your life and possibly others' lives to defend a few hundred bucks in your wallets? Is this amount of money worth a 20% chance of dying? Indeed, is it even worth a 1% chance of dying?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this sums up my feeling about successful attacks vs. muggers:
...What about the more practical consideration of risking your life and possibly others' lives to defend a few hundred bucks in your wallets? Is this amount of money worth a 20% chance of dying? Indeed, is it even worth a 1% chance of dying?
That is nice, but it doesn't answer my question. It explains why dhuey is willing to unquestionably place his life in the hands of a mugger/killer, but it doesn't explain why you want others to roll over as well. You may be accurate in predicting your personal chances, I can't evaluate that. However, you seem dead set against other people making their own evaluations of a situation.

As I said earlier, I would evaluate my chances as best I could, and then take action based on that evaluation. I may decide that attempting to kill the mugger is not my best option, but I'll certainly regret making that decision.

By the way, you ignored all of my comments once again regarding LEO behavior, Model Mugging,and successful defenses. Why is that?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:43 pm

...By the way, you ignored all of my comments once again regarding LEO behavior, Model Mugging,and successful defenses. Why is that?
Okay, I clicked your link for the Model Mugging Program. What about it? Are they recommending that victims attack armed robbers if they see an opportunity? I can't tell from their website. If they do recommend that, I cannot understand why. The site looks like it's more geared for women facing potential rapists and/or murderers, not someone who demands your purse.

As for LEO behavior, are you saying maybe they wouldn't take their own advice and attack the mugger? Perhaps they might. I didn't say that never under any circumstances should someone attack an armed robber -- just that situations when that would be prudent are "rare".

And as for successful defenses, by all means give 'em a shot, so to speak. I'm taking the cops' advice and handing over my wallet.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I clicked your link for the Model Mugging Program. What about it? Are they recommending that victims attack armed robbers if they see an opportunity? I can't tell from their website. If they do recommend that, I cannot understand why.
Perhaps you would understand why if you had seen beefy guys in heavy padding knocked cold by 115 lb women They are also train when and when not to fight back. Personal defense is a successful option if you are trained.

As for LEO behavior, are you saying maybe they wouldn't take their own advice and attack the mugger? Perhaps they might. I didn't say that never under any circumstances should someone attack an armed robber -- just that situations when that would be prudent are "rare".
I'm saying that a LEO would, as might anyone who has confidence in their abilities, like the Marine in the OP, defend themselves against a mugger/killer.

And as for successful defenses, by all means give 'em a shot, so to speak. I'm taking the cops' advice and handing over my wallet.
I never said you should not. Nothing you have posted suggests you should take any other course of action. Others mileage may vary.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 pm

Perhaps you would understand why if you had seen beefy guys in heavy padding knocked cold by 115 lb women They are also train when and when not to fight back. Personal defense is a successful option if you are trained.....
I'll be turning my wallet over to such women, should they turn to the dark side and confront me.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
1% chance of dying

the problem in these situation is,

if i pay, will i 100% be OK?, or how high is the chance that they will kill me after i gave them the money.

even if they say , "give money nobody will die", could you be sure that you wont be killed?

if i was a trained marine, trained to kill people with my hands, and my family or any other person was in danger, i would kill the mugger or trying to get him KO , before this person might kill me.

From my point of view, i think if you have two people in behind with knives you might be able to punch the first one , but the two others might kill you after you attacked their leader. the only way is to threaten the other two , so they will run.
its not only me, but muggers love to survive too, i guess, so the marine made bet,and the bet paid off.

in a stress situation like these, you have maybe 10 seconds to decide.
a marine might be able to calculate his chance to un-arm all guys without getting killed 10% chance, or just causing such a damage to the first guy so the other would run 70 % chance.
i am sure if he thought that his chance to survive was 100% if he paid, than he would have paid.

some people argue that you might get away just paying , but if you have the ability to influence the situation yourself, would you just hope that the muggers will not harm you?

for me, my life is the most important thing in the world, there is nothing money, miles, status which is more important .

dp
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be turning my wallet over to such women, should they turn to the dark side and confront me.
Me too. In fact, I did
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by taucher
You seem to have forgotten the presence of the other two criminals, a fact which I doubt eluded the Marine. Once he was in contact with the first guy, he presumably would have to deal with him as expeditiously as possible before his comrades could intervene. It's a pity he didn't kill them as well.
So you think the death penalty is the appropriate punishment for mugging.

The term "civilization" which you keep bleating about doesn't have the strong connotations of "effeteness" and "degeneracy" you seem to believe.
You misunderstood me. The term civilization is used in those cases that respect for human life is shown.

Assumption of guilt without corroborating facts
I said that the police should have investigated more thoroughly and the man should be tried in a court of law, and if found guilty of manslaughter, should get a prison sentence. What's wrong with that? Instead, most of the posters here seem to be very happy that the Marine executed a mugger. OK, so you are all in favour of the death penalty for mugging?

and a need to resort to ad hominem attacks. What a sterling example of being "civilized".
Read the thread. I was not the first one to use the word "idiot" on this thread.

Well, I am done with this thread. And very sorry to see that the vast majority of posters have very, very little respect for human life. Have a nice day.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
death penalty

i am strictly again any deathpenalty.

no other human should rule if another person should die.

but this case, i think its a selfdefense , protecting yourself or someone else, if the police close the case, why should there be a sentence?

i dont know how the system in costarica works but i am sure it was checked through all instances and there was found that there was no need to go to court.

in this case the man wont be found guilty, we dont have the facts here, but if there was not decision made for a court trial, i assume that there was no need to do so, and they decided not to waste the tax payers money !

remember, that these articles normally only contain 70% truth , so you never know the real facts.

dp
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
So you think the death penalty is the appropriate punishment for mugging.
Sigh. So you really cannot see the difference between the state executing someone and a criminal killed in self-defense?

And, Sjoerd, a "civilization" that is so pathetic that it chooses to define cowardice as humanity and fetishises "respect for human life" to such an extent that the concern for the mugger outweighs the concern for the victim is one that is rotten to the core and just waiting for a bully to kick it over.

Not that you Dutch have anything to worry about in that regard.

Last edited by blueeyes_austin; Feb 28, 2007 at 8:15 am
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:40 am

Thank you everybody

All I know is that when I was grabbed and felt a knife blade on my neck, I wasn't thinking, 'Hey, I'll give him my wallet". Survival mode went into my head and I did what came naturally to me. I never went through a self defense class but I did hear several self defense lectures in school which informed me of how I as a potential victim could turn the cards around. And I did.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:30 am

Instead, most of the posters here seem to be very happy that the Marine executed a mugger. OK, so you are all in favour of the death penalty for mugging?
That's a huge leap of illogic. No one on this thread has said any such thing. There is a gigantic difference between killing in self defense and receiving a death penalty handed down by a court of law.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
All I know is that when I was grabbed and felt a knife blade on my neck, I wasn't thinking, 'Hey, I'll give him my wallet". ....
In the end, what did you think his goal was? Your wallet or you? It sounds to me like you had good reason to wonder if this guy intended to harm you severely.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead, most of the posters here seem to be very happy that the Marine executed a mugger. OK, so you are all in favour of the death penalty for mugging?
The Marine didn't execute the mugger, and its specious sophistry to suggest that he did. I suggest you look up the meaning of the word, "execute."

And, no, I'm not in favor of the death penalty for anyone. I simply have no sympathy at all for a mugger who points a loaded gun at people and then gets himself killed when they resist. Why do you think he deserves sympathy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.