Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Now do you have anything constructive to add?
I would have to ask you the same thing after a post like the one below.

That may very well be. After all, it were the Rambos in the American government that believed that they could make the world safer by invading Iraq. And even 4 years into that disaster they still claim they were right.

Now have a look at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
compare the US to most of Europe, and decide for yourself which method works best: "shoot first talk later" or vice versa.
In case you didn't read the story the Marine didn't shoot first. Also your statistics are a red herring as this all happened in Costa Rica and has nothing to do with USA vs. Europe crimes. It also has nothing to do with the movie 'Rambo', which I might add you seem fixated on or the war in Iraq. To compare one person and incident with the war and a movie really shows the depth of your argument. To compare the actions and generalize about one person in a nation of 350 million people seems to painting with a broad brush. Maybe you should look into your own country's history during World War 2.

I think you are just trolling at this point. I see you haven’t grown up any since the last time I saw you posting here in Newsstand. I am surprised that you didn’t work Gitmo into your post somehow.

Last edited by JumboJet; Feb 26, 2007 at 6:51 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by dhuey
What about the more practical consideration of risking your life and possibly others' lives to defend a few hundred bucks in your wallets? Is this amount of money worth a 20% chance of dying? Indeed, is it even worth a 1% chance of dying?
It's not the money, it's the principle. Where do you draw the line $1, $100, $1,000, $1,000,000, land, a country. It's not about the tangible value it's about self respect.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Unbelieveable - you jump straight to the defence of the criminal. Mind if I jump straight to the conclusion that you are an idiot?
Amen!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:36 am

You may. There is freedom of speech as far as I am concerned. But you are wrong. Now do you have anything constructive to add?
Do you? I've read all of your posts here and I see nothing but wild speculation with no basis in the situation at hand. Without people like this marine this country and the right to freedom of speech would not exist.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
... So to me, until more facts are published, the marine is guilty of manslaughter. ...
So you've convicted this guy of manslaughter without benefit of trial. Incredible.

My philosphy on violence has always been that if you start a fight, you can't complain about how the other guy finishes it.

One this guy pulled a gun, he was responsible for the consequences. I'm not shedding any tears for him.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:36 am

So to me, until more facts are published, the marine is guilty of manslaughter.
Under whose law? US law? No, since they were on Costa Rican soil.
Costa Rican law? Maybe, but I'm not familiar with Costa Rican law.

Costa Rican officials interviewed the Americans, and said they wouldn't charge the U.S. tourist with any crime because he acted in self defense.

Don't forget there were two other perps with knives.

Have a nice dirt nap, Mr. Mugger.

***CASE CLOSED***
(and hopefully the thread, too)
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I hope the killer will get a proper trial in a court of law, and if found guilty of murder, gets a prison sentence.
It's called "self defense"...I am sure muggers will be happy to know that you wouldn't fight back and allow them their inalienable human rights to beat you up and rob you.

- HF
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:22 pm

deleted

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:48 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:31 pm

deleted

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:49 pm Reason: already covered
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your choice. I'll have a much higher chance of survival.
While this is true, I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for the perp. I feel bad that people decide to rob and steal for material gain, but if they then end up having the tables turned on them, well, that's the way it goes, IMO.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by greatam
And Carnival Cruise Line has now cancelled Costa Rica as a Port of Call.
I presume they'll be stopping at safer ports of call, such as Miami.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Never get a jury to convict a prospective "muggee" who declined to be robbed

Originally Posted by SharpDoggy
Probally some group such as the ACLU say that the mugger has rights and try to have charges brought against the person who was mugged. I'm sorry, but they got what they deserved. And if that happened in america, then fine, one less criminal to worry about
Can't speak for other jurisdictions, but you'd never get a prosecutor to file charges in CO for this because you'd never get a jury to find a person who fought back against a mugger guilty of assault, murder or even jaywalking. I suspect that's true for most US locations...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Even if you don't agree with me, how would you have reacted if 1) the marine had been a bit slower and/or 2) the mugger had been a bit quicker and consequently 3) the 54 year old woman had been killed?
IF that occurred, then the mugger would have also committed murder. But its silly to argue that a person who attempts to defend himself, his friends, or his family and does not manage to avoid some unwanted outcome forced on him by the mugger is somehow responsible for the mugger's acts.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Your choice. I'll have a much higher chance of survival.
That's the truth. Even drug-crazed criminals know that there is a world of difference between convictions for armed robbery and murder. The robbers don't want to pull that trigger. Once you go for the gun, though, they are likely to view it as a fight to the death.

I'll hand over the $200 and go home to my wife and kids, thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:01 pm

You may. There is freedom of speech as far as I am concerned. But you are wrong. Now do you have anything constructive to add?
It's a sure sign that someone realizes their position is wrong when they assert things like "there is freedom of speech." That's right up there with "I'm entitled to my opinion."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.