Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angry tourists break mugger's neck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Good for them. I wish more people would defend themselves like this.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 13, 2007 at 6:24 am
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I have a hard time feeling sorry for a thief pointing a gun at people. He picked the wrong group. Hopefully the two that got away will think twice next time.
Doubtful. Less surprising would be if they decided to go the "shoot first, ask questions later" route.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:50 am

Yes, because every thug is going to learn their lesson from this and it will fundamentaly alter the way they view thievings. Right.
I think we'd be a lot better off if everyone who pulled guns on people to rob them ended up dead. No real downside to what happened here.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Psychocadet
Real bright tourists.
Originally Posted by fuzz
^ ^ ^ though I do not know why they were dumb enough to go into a high crime area... I think the mugger got what he deserves.

fuzz
I agree, they were idiots to stop where they did. You don't go into the barrio unless you're looking for trouble.

Originally Posted by peachfront
There are a lot of tough-as-nails 70 year olds running around these days. I think Clint Eastwood is in that age group too. Anyway, kudos to the Marine for his heroism. I'm sure he was experienced and well-trained, but it's a still an older man empty-handed against a 20 year old with a gun. It had to be a little scary.
Why do you assume the tourists were all senior citizens? I see nothing in the article to substantiate this. And I want to see the 70-year-old, ex-Marine or not, who can break an armed 20-year-old's neck.

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I hope the killer will get a proper trial in a court of law, and if found guilty of murder, gets a prison sentence.
The police have ruled this a case of self-defence. Case closed.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Hold on a minute. What would have happened to a foreign tourist in the u.s. who allegedly "defended himself" against an american mugger?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hertz #1 5*, CO, AA
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Hold on a minute. What would have happened to a foreign tourist in the u.s. who allegedly "defended himself" against an american mugger?
Probally some group such as the ACLU say that the mugger has rights and try to have charges brought against the person who was mugged. I'm sorry, but they got what they deserved. And if that happened in america, then fine, one less criminal to worry about
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I hope the killer will get a proper trial in a court of law, and if found guilty of murder, gets a prison sentence.
When you point a gun at someone and threaten them with death over a couple of bucks you've pretty much given up your right to life.

Killing a mugger who is pointing a gun at you is not murder.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

I'd like to understand your view on the premeditation and malice components that create the crime of murder in this scenario. Are you theorizing that the tourist planned in advance to travel to this area, looking to get mugged so they could kill someone?

Fortunately, police investigated the incident and
No charges will be filed against the tourists because police viewed the incident as an act of self-defense.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 24, 2007 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Am I the only one who wonders about the wisdom of attacking the mugger? Some say just desserts for the mugger, others question whether this was really self-defense.

What about the more practical consideration of risking your life and possibly others' lives to defend a few hundred bucks in your wallets? Is this amount of money worth a 20% chance of dying? Indeed, is it even worth a 1% chance of dying?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I have a hard time feeling sorry for a thief pointing a gun at people.
Ditto.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
It's pretty definite now from the reports that it was a 70something former Marine who broke the neck of the 20 year old when the young creepazoid put a gun on a 54 year old woman. The woman talked. They are protecting the retired Marine's privacy, but he's an old dude. A very well-trained, quick-thinking old dude. If he ever comes forward, I want his autograph. He's a hero to me. I don't have much use for creeps who put guns in people's faces. And I don't expect people who visit from out of town or out of country to know where the "rough" neighborhood starts. Everyone who has ever landed at MSY has landed in a "rough" neighborhood. Doesn't mean they deserve to get a gun in the face. If every armed robber met the same fate, it would be a better world where we could all travel in peace.

Originally Posted by alex0683de
IWhy do you assume the tourists were all senior citizens? I see nothing in the article to substantiate this. And I want to see the 70-year-old, ex-Marine or not, who can break an armed 20-year-old's neck.

Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
OK, here's the deal. You need to look into it further to satisfy yourself so please do so. Armed robbers don't just rob. They are opportunists. They rape and they kill. There is no bright line between rapists and armed robbers. They are the same people. This young man put a gun in a 54 year old woman's face. I don't think she would be alive and unharmed today if the former Marine hadn't stepped up to the plate.

If no one fights back, there is no incentive NOT to commit armed robbery. The money is too easy when everyone is taught to roll over.

It is well worth a 1 percent chance of dying not to have to live your whole life knowing you stood there as a coward while a woman's life was destroyed.

Originally Posted by dhuey
Am I the only one who wonders about the wisdom of attacking the mugger? Some say just desserts for the mugger, others question whether this was really self-defense.

What about the more practical consideration of risking your life and possibly others' lives to defend a few hundred bucks in your wallets? Is this amount of money worth a 20% chance of dying? Indeed, is it even worth a 1% chance of dying?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by peachfront
OK, here's the deal. You need to look into it further to satisfy yourself so please do so. Armed robbers don't just rob. They are opportunists. They rape and they kill. There is no bright line between rapists and armed robbers. They are the same people. This young man put a gun in a 54 year old woman's face. I don't think she would be alive and unharmed today if the former Marine hadn't stepped up to the plate.

If no one fights back, there is no incentive NOT to commit armed robbery. The money is too easy when everyone is taught to roll over.

It is well worth a 1 percent chance of dying not to have to live your whole life knowing you stood there as a coward while a woman's life was destroyed.
Let's just look at this particular robbery. There isn't any suggestion from the press report that these muggers wanted to do anything more than mug. Indeed, they threatened a group of people. Sure, it's possible that they intended to rape and kill, but that possibility looks extremely remote in this circumstance.

It's all about odds, in my book. It's the chance that attacking the mugger will prevent a murder/rape vs. the chance of death (or indeed, rape) if the attack on the mugger fails. I think the former is very low, and the latter is disturbingly high.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:39 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's all about odds, in my book.
in (your) book, is the key word in your statement, I probably would not have risked my life to fight this mugger either but I am pleased the mugger is no longer.

In my book if you decide to perform an act of violence against someone else, you have lost any rights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.