Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
Agreed. Will give it a go in future. Thanks for the heads up. Am headed back to Phuket in two and a half weeks time for a short weekend break so..will hope to god we avoid the long waits! I thought Denpasar airport was bad..this was worse!
You could also try to schedule an oddball arrival time when it's just your plane. Especially if you're sitting up front.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:10 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer
You could also try to schedule an oddball arrival time when it's just your plane. Especially if you're sitting up front.
This is good advice too. I have flown often from Phuket to Singapore. I do not get the long lines.

Or, connecting and clearning immigration in Bangkok!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:13 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Here's the latest from Patong beach, from today, Jan 9, 2015.

Beach clear from loungers and umbrellas. But, the beach was packed with people, in the sun on towels, in the shade of the trees relaxing.

Jet skis and Parasailers confined to small segments of the beach. Of the two jet ski areas I saw, there were about a dozen jetskis in each area (a rectangle, roped off in the water) and only 1 jet ski touching the shore.

I saw at least one massage place, up under the trees with bamboo beds. There may be others.

There were a scattered few umbrellas pitched in the sand from tourists that brought their own.

In all, it was a great vibe. True there was no loungers, but still a great beach feeling... maybe even better than before.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife

Beach clear from loungers and umbrellas. But, the beach was packed with people, in the sun on towels, in the shade of the trees relaxing.

Jet skis and Parasailers confined to small segments of the beach. Of the two jet ski areas I saw, there were about a dozen jetskis in each area (a rectangle, roped off in the water) and only 1 jet ski touching the shore.

I saw at least one massage place, up under the trees with bamboo beds. There may be others.

There were a scattered few umbrellas pitched in the sand from tourists that brought their own.

In all, it was a great vibe. True there was no loungers, but still a great beach feeling... maybe even better than before.
Since this was a point of discussion further upthread, I can add my data point as well. Dec 28-Jan 1, saw pretty much the same on Surin and Bangtao. No jetskis on Surin, jetskis on Bangtao were being held between designated swimming areas. No loungers or umbrellas for rent, though people were free to bring their own umbrellas.

Massage places and vendors were open for business but were largely off the sand. The only people I saw on the sand were a couple of beach towel and trinket vendors here and there and the roast corn guy on Bangtao. As well as the jetski operators of course (who, from what I could tell, did not seem to be scamming their patrons). Oh, and a guy with a baby elephant.

I did see one police officer who seemed to be enforcing property boundaries. I was laying out at Bangtao and he came up to a business that had a sandwich board located a couple feet off the path towards the sand. He took a picture, then spoke to the staff and moved the board back up a few feet then was on his way. Not exactly a harsh interaction by code enforcement standards!

Overall despite all of the hullabaloo over the past months, these beaches seemed, well, much like beaches pretty much everywhere else in the world! Certainly not unspoiled desolate retreats anymore, but quite enjoyable by all means.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Was surprised and happy with the new rules..the beach does seem less clustered and over crowded now..though the comment from friends that people dis0placed by the new enforcements and rulings were maybe turning to crime instead to make ends meet..

anyways...i am happy with the new ruling.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Yeah, that sounds like the smart thing to do..but sadly I have to catch a connecting out of KLIA to get to Phuket as I am based way out in Borneo.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:18 am

Yeah, that sounds like the smart thing to do..but sadly I have to catch a connecting out of KLIA to get to Phuket as I am based way out in Borneo.
When do you usually get into KUL? There's the 4:30 AM departure to HKT...kinda early but there definitely aren't many other arrivals at that time!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by 2lovelife

You should check the beach again

Although you were correct at that time (9th of Jan), from that date there's more and more lounge/umbrella-operators coming back to the beach each day. A couple of days ago there was 1 operator, yesterday when I had a walk there were at least 3 occupying a rather large part of the beach.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

When do you usually get into KUL? There's the 4:30 AM departure to HKT...kinda early but there definitely aren't many other arrivals at that time!
Land in KUL about 10.20-10.30am...but yeah, would imagine no problems if one landed at 4.30am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sexten

Although you were correct at that time (9th of Jan), from that date there's more and more lounge/umbrella-operators coming back to the beach each day. A couple of days ago there was 1 operator, yesterday when I had a walk there were at least 3 occupying a rather large part of the beach.

That's disappointing to hear. I was in Patong in mid November and the beach looked good..clear of umbrella operators/lounge seats and controlled para sailing/jet sking activities..someone's gotten slack I suppose since then which sucks.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:05 am

Land in KUL about 10.20-10.30am...but yeah, would imagine no problems if one landed at 4.30am
Hah, ok, probably not worth that much of a schedule adjustment to bypass an annoying immigration line. Though I can assure you that the lines were short at 4:30 AM!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Headed down to Patong Beach right after breakfast (late night on Bangla ).
I for one miss having the loungers and umbrella as well as the service. I would gladly pay the 100 baht for that. Although they did need to do something I wish they wouldn't have gone to the other extreme

Originally Posted by sexten

Update (Jan 14,2015):
Just returned from the beach. Unfortunately no loungers or umbrellas. You can get a beach mat and small umbrella though. Didn't like laying directly on the beach as every time the wind blew up or someone walked by, a lot of sand was in your face.
I could see some umbrella outcrops (down from Bangla) but they appeared to be the small ones (3ft above the sand).
Granted the beach looked more natural without all the stuff, I'd prefer a lounger any day. Guess I'm getting old
Still great to be here again though.

Update (Jan 18th, 2015):
Found some lawn chairs (not the old style loungers but lay downish style none the less) with a mediumish size umbrella for 200-400 Baht along the beach. They are more obscure to find, ie up near the bars/restaurants along the beach, but they are there coming back now. Just have to look a little harder. Gotta love capitalism Off to Bangla

Last edited by milesk; Jan 18, 2015 at 4:20 am Reason: Updated Info
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:36 am
Suspended

Hah, ok, probably not worth that much of a schedule adjustment to bypass an annoying immigration line. Though I can assure you that the lines were short at 4:30 AM!

Hehehe..
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Customs clearance Phuket vs. Bangkok

Situation:
I've got an international flight into Bangkok with a domestic connection on TG to Phuket.
That means I will NEED to clear immigration in Bangkok, but I COULD clear customs in Bangkok by tagging the bags to BKK only, or I COULD clear customs in Phuket by tagging the bags thru.

Question:
Are there any lines or waiting times at customs in Phuket, or is it just the immigration that is the problem?

If it saves time or hassle in Phuket, I'll rather pick up the bags in BKK and check them in upstairs again. But if it's more or less the same in Phuket regardless of having to pass customs or not, then I will tag thru.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
Situation:
I've got an international flight into Bangkok with a domestic connection on TG to Phuket.
That means I will NEED to clear immigration in Bangkok, but I COULD clear customs in Bangkok by tagging the bags to BKK only, or I COULD clear customs in Phuket by tagging the bags thru.

Question:
Are there any lines or waiting times at customs in Phuket, or is it just the immigration that is the problem?

If it saves time or hassle in Phuket, I'll rather pick up the bags in BKK and check them in upstairs again. But if it's more or less the same in Phuket regardless of having to pass customs or not, then I will tag thru.

No wait lines for customs in Phuket for international arrivals to be honest...the flow was good on the green and red lanes. They did pull some people off the green lanes for international arrivals to x-ray their bags but thats normal I think anywhere.

Otherwise, once you clear immigration, it's pretty fast getting through to the exit doors and customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.