Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Boat/Yacht Charter in Phuket - Phi Phi

We have managed to secure two F seats each way from EWR to BKK in November using Delta points. We have four nights after arriving BKK before our Villa rental begins in Phuket and I am having a bit of trouble making a decision about what to do with these days. So far I think we will spend three days in BKK (Oriental Hotel or Peninsula .... can't decide that either!!)and then head south. AM wondering if anyone had any experience with hiring a yacht for a short charter in the area , preferably from Phuket, that would take in some of the sights like the Phi Phi Islands. Just two of us travelling but would like a comfortable boat with a berth etc even though it is just for one night. The alternative is to stay in BKK for a total of four nights ..... any and all ideas welcome!! Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Yes travel by Boat around Phi Phi its fun and it will be the hightlight of your trip
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:20 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

As some of you know, I'm now full time in Patong (Beach), Phuket, Thailand. I know there are other flyertalkers here too. Hopefully between us we can help you plan your visit.

I'd like to open up this thread to discussions, questions, and advice for visitors to Phuket.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'd like to open up this thread to discussions, questions, and advice for visitors to Phuket.
Ok, I'll start...

I'm traveling to Thailand for two weeks later this month and I'll have six nights in Phuket. I currently have reservations at the Holiday Inn Patong in the Busakorn Wing however my travel partner just had to cancel so I'll be solo. I'm starting to wonder if the HI may be too "family oriented". I have no problem with kids as I have three of my own, but I don't want to be overwhelmed either.

Since I'm solo and have a lot of flexibility, I'm open to suggestions. Good pool (pool bar?) is important as is a location that isn't too quiet or isolated.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:56 am
Suspended

As some of you know, I'm now full time in Patong (Beach), Phuket, Thailand. I know there are other flyertalkers here too. Hopefully between us we can help you plan your visit.

And I thought you were a pilot

1) I was underwhelmed by "Tunk-ka Cafe" (Rang Hill) on my last visit (though it was reasonably good before). Any recommendation for a good thai restaurant

2) Whats the latest with the new (second) airport limo company. Better than the original ?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:24 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by wolf539
...I'll have six nights in Phuket. I currently have reservations at the Holiday Inn Patong in the Busakorn Wing however my travel partner just had to cancel so I'll be solo. I'm starting to wonder if the HI may be too "family oriented".
I hope others will chime in with their thoughts too. There are many Flyertalkers familiar with this hotel from the 1THB/night mistake rate from a few years back.

Holiday Inn
If you want Patong Beach, the location of this hotel is fantastic. It's right across the street from the beach. Great hotel with nice pools and walking distance to everywhere in Patong. The Busakorn wing is seperate on the back of the property, with a nicer pool and restricted access to only those in that wing. Although I suspect kids, I don't know that that wing will be 'overrun' (I'll try to sneak in later today and check it out).

They tout themselves as 'Family Oriented' meaning you cannot bring overnight guests that are not registered at check-in.

Mercure
As for Patong with a pool bar. The new Mercure Hotel (accor) is one block further away from the beach, but just opened a few months ago. The rooms are nice, but not quite 4 star, great pool in the centre of the building, and another small rooftop pool make a great atmosphere. I took photos while there a few months back, but haven't posted them anywhere.

Le Meridian between Patong and Karon Beach is a great hotel too, and not too far from either town (5-7min in tuk-tuk, scooter)

As I've always stayed on the cheaper side here, the frequent travellers may have more advice.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:51 am
Suspended

I currently have reservations at the Holiday Inn Patong in the Busakorn Wing
You need to be aware that the Holiday Inn is not really a "resort" on the beach, but rather a resort-styled hotel in the middle of a commercial district. The Busakorn wing is easily half a mile from the beach and the area beyond the resort walls is not very appealing.

Having said that, the Busakorn wing has a nice pool and resembles an upmarket condo more than a beach resort. And no, I dont think its too family oriented.

There is no doubt Patong is a very convenient place to stay with shops, restaurants and night life at your doorstep. However it is extremely sleazy and full of low end european tourists. If you are going to be doing a lot of excursions it probably wouldnt bother you. As a place to relax, there are better options ........
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Great resource, thanks!

We'll likely be in Thailand for a week in July. How would you segment the trip (my wife really likes the beach)? A couple of nights in Bangkok and then 4-5 in Phuket?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:05 am

I stayed at the Hilton in November for 6 nights. Thinking about going back later this year. The tuk-tuks and taxis to Patong were way overpriced. I may just stay closer to Patong Beach. I will track the discussion here in making my decision where to stay if I go.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BF263533
I stayed at the Hilton in November for 6 nights. Thinking about going back later this year. The tuk-tuks and taxis to Patong were way overpriced. I may just stay closer to Patong Beach. I will track the discussion here in making my decision where to stay if I go.
I have stayed at the Hilton almost a dozen times and never found a need to be in Patong even when I have a car. The Hilton is within walking distance to restaurants and shops at Karon town.

Even if you stay at the LM, you will still be at the mercy of the tuk-tuk and taxi drivers; so being closer will not really help unless you can avoid the tuk-tuk and taxis altogeher. If for some reason Patong appeals to you, then you may be better off staying there.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Is the Marriott property there any good? We may consider using points.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Is the Marriott property there any good? We may consider using points.
One of the best !

Very close to the airport and quite secluded. If you need to go to Patong regularly, its a 45min ride each way .
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:37 am

Mercure
As for Patong with a pool bar. The new Mercure Hotel (accor) is one block further away from the beach, but just opened a few months ago. The rooms are nice, but not quite 4 star, great pool in the centre of the building, and another small rooftop pool make a great atmosphere. I took photos while there a few months back, but haven't posted them anywhere.
Looks like I can book this for around $110. per night which isn't too bad considering the HI is at least double.

Any thought on the Hilton over in Karon?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mario33
If for some reason Patong appeals to you, then you may be better off staying there.
I've never been to Phuket... But I'm starting to think Karon may be better for me.

Which rooms do you prefer at the Hilton?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:34 am
Suspended

Which rooms do you prefer at the Hilton?
Lotus Wing where the exec lounge is - deluxe plus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.