Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What is the best website to book a hotel/resort in Phuket? Will rates be higher using American OTA's compared to Asian or European OTAs?
To answer my own question: yes it does!
I just checked rates for the Duangjitt on a dutch website and for my dates they charge €580.50 (about $766) total including taxes and fees. The cheapest american website (Agoda) is charging $954 total including taxes and fees.

Americans are clearly being scammed here.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
To answer my own question: yes it does!
I just checked rates for the Duangjitt on a dutch website and for my dates they charge €580.50 (about $766) total including taxes and fees. The cheapest american website (Agoda) is charging $954 total including taxes and fees.

Americans are clearly being scammed here.
geez...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:41 pm

Advice

Hello All,

I am planning a honeymoon trip in the last week of oct. How's weather during Oct end? Also, I am looking for romantic beach resorts in Phuket. How about the racha in Racha Yai Island?

Any suggestions/recommendations world be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:20 pm

Luxury Hotel in and around Phuket

We are a family of 3 (2 adults and one 6 year old child) that will be arriving in Phuket on March 24, 2014 for 5 days. We want the best overall luxury experience but still be in close proximity to day activities like touring out to Phi, Phi, James Bond island and the like as well as dining offsite in the evenings. I'm Hilton Gold and will have SPG point to do cash and points. I'm also Accor Platinum. What is the best overal luxury property, with great pools, great grounds, best beach and close proximity to dining offsite of the hotel for us?

This is our first trip to Thailand. Budget is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cdnblue; Aug 26, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ohliuw
Hmmm, the answer depends on what you really are: adventurous or luxury junkie - can't be both

Since you have no pricing restrictions and looking more for luxuries than to get the taste of real Thailand, Phuket is the best place to be. I can't comment on the best resort, since I haven't tried any of it (I can't afford it). What sort of "things" do you want to see and do at night? For nightlife - Patong. Although I am not sure if any upscale accommodations are in the area.

I'd wait to get there to plan the activities as you will have so many to choose from. Don't worry, folks there love people without pricing restrictions and won't refuse your money; you could get virtually anything

I assume that you won't be very happy spending much time on boats, so I wouldn't recommend island hopping, but one day trip to Phi Phi is a must
Great suggestions. Tks.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:32 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Cdnblue
We are a family of 3 (2 adults and one 6 year old child) that will be arriving in Phuket on March 24, 2013 for 5 days. We want the best overall luxury experience but still be in close proximity to day activities like touring out to Phi, Phi, James Bond island and the like as well as dining offsite in the evenings. I'm Hilton Gold and will have SPG point to do cash and points. I'm also Accor Platinum. What is the best overal luxury property, with great pools, great grounds, best beach and close proximity to dining offsite of the hotel for us?

Thanks in advance.
I would say stick to the chains that you have status and or points with.

The Hilton in Karon Beach is a GREAT hotel. Gold includes breakfast and usually a category upgrade.

Le Meridien, between Karon and Patong, is BUSY, but a great looking hotel with its own private beach.

The new Novotel Heritage Park is also a lovely hotel, right in the middle of Patong, a block from the beach. Although I have not stayed or even seen the rooms, I dine there regularly.

good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated on your choice. Many readers can learn from your experience.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Maverickkk
I am planning a honeymoon trip in the last week of oct. How's weather during Oct end? Also, I am looking for romantic beach resorts in Phuket. How about the racha in Racha Yai Island?
October can be one of the rainiest months in Phuket.

However, predicting rain in Phuket is easier by understanding how the rainy and dry seasons are determined.

They are based on Lunar months, not calender months. Just as Easter can vary year by year by as much as almost 2 months, the start and end of the rainy season can vary just as much.

Thai celebration of the end of the rainy season is mid November this year. As you get closer to this date, your chances of heavy rain weeks are less, I would say. So, END of October could be nice.

BUT. Rainy season in Phuket can be really wonderful. Rarely does it rain all day. And the rain is warm, unlike in my home. The best part of the rainy season is that the overcast makes for a cooler average temperature.

So, even in the rainy season, you have a good chance at a dry week, or at the very minimum many days with hot sunny periods before or after the rain.

If you are allergic to rain. Book January to March. Any other time, hope for sun and be prepared to still enjoy, even if it rains.

good luck
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:30 am

Does anyone have any experiences with car rentals @ Phuket? Went online and saw an American Jeep for rent at Andaman car rentals for around 1.1k bht /day, sounds awesome and the idea of driving such a car on an resorty island is such a dream.

Thinking of doing that but I'm not quite sure how the traffic is at Phuket, let alone the behavior of local drivers.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

The Hilton in Karon Beach is a GREAT hotel. Gold includes breakfast and usually a category upgrade.

Le Meridien, between Karon and Patong, is BUSY, but a great looking hotel with its own private beach.

The new Novotel Heritage Park is also a lovely hotel, right in the middle of Patong, a block from the beach. Although I have not stayed or even seen the rooms, I dine there regularly.

good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated on your choice. Many readers can learn from your experience.
Okay. Out of the these which one would you suggest?

The Hilton in Karon Beach
Le Meridien
Renaissance Phuket
Westin Siray bay

I was also considering these hotels: Should I move any of these up to consider in the mix with the above?

Boathouse On Kata Beach
The Royal Phuket yachet Club
The Sheraton Grande Laguna
Banyan Tree
Amanpuri

Thanks again for the input. Very helpful!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We are a family of 3 (2 adults and one 6 year old child) that will be arriving in Phuket on March 24, 2013 for 5 days. We want the best overall luxury experience but still be in close proximity to day activities like touring out to Phi, Phi, James Bond island and the like as well as dining offsite in the evenings. I'm Hilton Gold and will have SPG point to do cash and points. I'm also Accor Platinum. What is the best overal luxury property, with great pools, great grounds, best beach and close proximity to dining offsite of the hotel for us?

Thanks in advance.
I'd say you're in trouble, or must have a time machine, as that date is 6 months gone.

I stayed at the Hilton property 6 years ago, and it was fine, but nothing spectacular, even as a Diamond. As with all other Hilton properties that I stayed at during that time, I found their beds way too hard.

The taxi mafia often doubles or triples the fares, so cheap transportation might not be too cheap.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd say you're in trouble, or must have a time machine, as that date is 6 months gone.
Date corrected to 2014.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:05 pm

Okay. Ended up booking Le Meridien on points. We wanted central location on great beach not too far from some action. I was able to book this all on points (regular price $226+tax) or 10,000 points/night with 5th night free. this is a $.031 redemption. Not bad. I have no status so the room will likely be average. I'm not there for the room though.

Can anyone recommend transportation to and from the airport. We have our 6 year old and want a safe driving with seat belts in the car. Is that asking for too much?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:11 am

In Phuket, the taxis are not cheap by Thai standards. But they are not expensive by western standards. You should be able to get an airport car for about 700-800THB.

The good news is that, for the most part, the cars are in great shape and the drivers drive responsibly. They arrive on time, and are courteous.

The same cannot be said for the minivan drivers. But, 90% or more of the (legal and unlicensed) taxis will suit your needs fine. They just charge too much.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:13 am

In Phuket, the taxis are not cheap by Thai standards. But they are not expensive by western standards. You should be able to get an airport car for about 700-800THB.

The good news is that, for the most part, the cars are in great shape and the drivers drive responsibly. They arrive on time, and are courteous.

The same cannot be said for the minivan drivers. But, 90% or more of the (legal and unlicensed) taxis will suit your needs fine. They just charge too much.
Seanthepilot - thanks for the input. We'll just taxi in from the airport to Le Meridien. Can we expect seat belts in the cars? Our son will have a booster seat that is secured with a seat belt.

We're looking forward to our trip. Thanks to all for the great input.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:46 am

we honeymooned in banyan tree and loved it !! we'll be in phuket december of this year and as its high season there is no booking ( and its super expensive 1500 per night).

Okay. Out of the these which one would you suggest?

The Hilton in Karon Beach
Le Meridien
Renaissance Phuket
Westin Siray bay

I was also considering these hotels: Should I move any of these up to consider in the mix with the above?

Boathouse On Kata Beach
The Royal Phuket yachet Club
The Sheraton Grande Laguna
Banyan Tree
Amanpuri

Thanks again for the input. Very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.