Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Thanks for the info.. have a 3 night stay coming up ^

Btw.. anyone has hints on a day boating trip.. primarily for snorkelling ?
We have been to phi phi earlier so dont wanna go that side.. somewhere around mai khao ?

You still need to head south somewhere to get on a boat to go snorkeling, though they do have a few places you can choose from other than Phi Phi. Nothing around Mai Khao as far as I know.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by tuchop
hello everyone ! I'm travelling to Phuket in January with family. We want to stay in Phi Phi Island for a couple of nights. What's the best Hotel in the Island? Thanks for the info!

EXPANDED QUESTION: Is staying at Phi Phi worth it? or are there good resorts/hotels (with private beach access) along Phuket's ocean side? Any hotel's suggestions? We are looking for 5 star hotels. Thanks again!

I think there is only one hotel on Phi Phi...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Chihster
You still need to head south somewhere to get on a boat to go snorkeling, though they do have a few places you can choose from other than Phi Phi. Nothing around Mai Khao as far as I know.
Any idea of bike renting options around Mai Khao / Marriot properties ?

And if we need a taxi one day, approx rate for them to take us to Phuket Patong beach area.. I guess the return to hotel at evening in taxi will be a much more expensive affair but an approx price from Mai Khao to Patong and return would give us a good idea for anyone who has tried doing that..

thanks, A
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:07 am

Will be heading to Thailand in early september for a few weeks, will be staying in Patong for 3-5 nights before moving on to Krabi for the remainder, can anyone reccomend a good car/limo/taxi company who can get me from Patong to Krabi??
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:56 am

Taxi Cost and Advance Activity Purchases

Hi all -

We'll be in Phuket this March for 3 full days. We're at Le Meridian. My questions are the following:

1. We prearranged with the hotel a Camry to pick us up at the airport a rate of THB 1,300. Is this a reasonable transfer price?
2. We are being quoted the following rates for all day activities:

2200 THB for Phantasea (includes dinner) - should we book this when there given that we don't want to do the dinner? We have heard the food is average.

3300 THB adults and 1650 THB for child for Phi Phi Islands by speedboat (incl lunch, drinks)

3. We want to do the kayak in the cave tour at night but weren't offered this on the list of things to do from the tour desk at the hotel. Is this something we can book when there and for how much?

Is there anything else that is a MUST DO when in Phuket ie: James Bond Island, Rang Hill hike that we should include?

Thanks,
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
In Phuket, the taxis are not cheap by Thai standards. But they are not expensive by western standards. You should be able to get an airport car for about 700-800THB.

The good news is that, for the most part, the cars are in great shape and the drivers drive responsibly. They arrive on time, and are courteous.

The same cannot be said for the minivan drivers. But, 90% or more of the (legal and unlicensed) taxis will suit your needs fine. They just charge too much.
Sean - we arranged a car through Le Meridien, a Camry. The price for this prearranged travel was 1300 THB. Seems high. Would you recommend we just get one at the taxi stand at the airport. I'm assuming the cost is 1300 THB because we booked it through the hotel, correct?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:33 am

Gembira Tour Phuket - Anyone heard of them?

Has anyone ever booked activities with these folks? I'm specifically wondering if they're reputable. I can book activities with them online now for half the price Le Meridien is quoting.

Gembira Tour Phuket Websites: http://www.gembiratourphuket.com

Address: 62/3 M.6 Sakdidet Rd., T. Vichit A. Meung Phuket 83000
Telephone (Local): 084 539 2885, 0895907785 (for information, not for booking)
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cdnblue
Has anyone ever booked activities with these folks? I'm specifically wondering if they're reputable. I can book activities with them online now for half the price Le Meridien is quoting.

you can bargin with local vendors when you are there too...but if your tight on time then you can prearrange so you'll hit the ground running
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:48 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Sean - we arranged a car through Le Meridien, a Camry. The price for this prearranged travel was 1300 THB. Seems high. Would you recommend we just get one at the taxi stand at the airport. I'm assuming the cost is 1300 THB because we booked it through the hotel, correct?
It's a little more than you'd pay for a taxi/airport car. It really depends if you want a driver waiting with a sign, and the comfort of knowing that it's all taken care of.

Or, you can just take an airport car once you arrive. The only caveat is if you hit them during a peak time (just after several flights have landed) and there is a long wait for a car. Or if you land after 11pm, when the prices for a taxi suddenly double or triple in cost.

Really, the difference is only about $15++, give or take.

If it was me, I'd just take the airport car. But, it's not a big premium, so you have the option without the cost being much of an issue.

I looked at the website and prices, and they look on the high side or normal, but not by much.

Depending on what you want to do and how much time you have, you may just want to book something for your first day and then compare other shops for the days that follow. There is huge competition in the tour ticket business, and there are always good deals to be found. Also, most of these packages don't have to be booked until the day before. Remember, bad weather can happen any time of the year.... so by not booking too early and waiting for a decent forecast before, you have a bit more perspective on whether you want to go or not.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:23 am

Hi,

we (my gf and me) will be visiting Phuket for 7 nights and we could use some advice. It will be our first time there and we would like to do a few trips, like the following:

Phi-Phi island
James Bond islands
Similan island (no diving experience, so we will be snorkeling)
An elephant ride

The advice I got from some friends is not to book anything in advance, but rather check the market once we are there. Also, in order not to get too tired, we should leave a free day between each trip. Is it possible to fit all of the above in 3 day trips? So far I have booked 5 nights in the Doubletree Surin Beach, is this a good base to start the trips? What about the Westin Siray Bay?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by koroleon; Feb 12, 2014 at 12:28 am
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Prem, HH Diamond, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by koroleon
Hi,

we (my gf and me) will be visiting Phuket for 7 nights and we could use some advice. It will be our first time there and we would like to do a few trips, like the following:

Phi-Phi island
James Bond islands
An elephant ride

The advice I got from some friends is not to book anything in advance, but rather check the market once we are there. Also, in order not to get too tired, we should leave a free day between each trip. Is it possible to fit all of the above in 3 day trips? So far I have booked 5 nights in the Doubletree Surin Beach, is this a good base to start the trips? What about the Westin Siray Bay?

Thank you in advance!

Cant speak to any of the tours as we have not down those tours specifically...

I am in full agreement not to book in advance though. You'll have tons of opportunity and ample places to book those trips once you arrive.

Enjoy the trip...It is truly a magical place.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:52 am

Hi,

Phi-Phi island
James Bond islands
An elephant ride

Thank you in advance!
phi phi and james bond are full tour day..i am not sure about similan as we haven't done that but its probably a full day, elephan treking is a half day...so you may have to get 4 days and 3 days rest..

enjoy !
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:20 am

Thank you for your replies jangell and jordandawg05. Is the location of the hotel important if we want to do a few of those trips or do the tours pick you up from wherever you're staying?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I would say that you should wait until you're in Phuket to book. Don't book at a 4 or 5 star hotel desk. There are many, many tour companies to choose from, if you're in a tourist area.

...do the tours pick you up from wherever you're staying?
Yes, as long as you are booking in the same general area that you are staying at. If you're staying in Karon, book from an agent in Karon, not Patong. If you're in Surin Beach, book from someone there, etc.

As for your tours:
Similan Islands - Similan Islands are open only 6 months of the year. Best rated from your list of choices. Just be aware that your visit coincides with the open months of the park.

James Bond & Phi Phi island are standard cookie cutter day tours. Great value because of the volume they do.

Elephant rides - I don't recommend the elephant rides, but many people like them. I see it as an unnecessary danger.
I have no way to tell which locations use unregistered elephants, or the condition/treatment of the animals. Like I said, they are popular. Do it if you think you'd enjoy it.

Between the Doubletree and Westin... the choice is up to you. The Doubletree is in the middle of the Surin Beach community. Westin is isolated and you may have difficulty with tour pickups at that location. It depends on your style.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:05 am

Thank you seanthepilot for your reply, it was very useful. I'm flying next week, I'll report back with my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.