Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm guessing from the lack of response that nobody actually does this (stays in Phuket Town).

All told, I think that makes me more likely to do this. I might go to the beach-y side of Phuket for a day, but I'd actually like something "away from the madding crowd", as it were. I found a little bit here and Google searching. Probably do a day trip (which should be easy to do from where I am at near-ish to Rassada Pier).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:07 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is there a particular reason why I shouldn't stay in Old Town Phuket if I can find reasonable accommodation over NYE? I'm mostly interested in being able to take a boat tour from Rassada Pier, have some decent food and explore around town, not feel like I'm being ripped off with tourist prices/taxis and so on.

I realize I forfeit beach time on Phuket if I do this (though I figure I can hang out on a local island's beach for that if I MUST, or pay the local taxi mafia). I will get my 4-5 star hotel fix in at other places- mostly what I want is a clean bed and shower (and the prices in late December/early January on the beachs are not inexpensive).
Phuket Town is a different style than the rest of Phuket, and the beach communities. Bustling, some say dirty, and a very traditional Thai business hub. There is nothing wrong with Phuket Town, other than some of the areas that may appeal to tourists are spread out and a bit far from each other.

But, on New Year's Eve, they have a big celebration right in the city (a few km to the south of centre) at Saphan Hin, with concerts, beer gardens, and food stands. Primarily Thai, but foreigners welcome. I don't like the craziness of Patong NYE, so I spent last new year's up there.

So, there is no reason why you should not stay in Phuket Town. But, as long as you don't want to come/go to one of the beach communities, or unless you have your own transportation.

I don't understand your comment linking Phuket Town with taking a tour from Rassada Pier. You can book your tour tickets at any part of the island, and it will included round trip minibus transfers. As I understand it, the tour prices from the pier are the same as if you bought from your hotel/local tour desk.

The only point of concern is not paying too much for your tour package. I have posted reasonable prices to give people a measuring point, and am glad to do that anytime. Once you know the 'right' price, you should be able buy them from most tour agents without much haggling.

If you want to save money on a room, staying in Phuket town is one way to do that. But you can have the best of both worlds. Yes, the rates in December/January are about double (or more) when compared to the rest of the year. But, there are PLENTY of affordable rooms all over Phuket.

A decent room should be had for $30 and up in the high season. If you want a swimming pool, you'll pay more (perhaps $50 and up). And ones a half block from the beach, maybe a bit more. You mention a cheap bed. Dorm rooms can be found for $10ish. even in the high season. My point is that you can have your cake and eat it too.

There is no reason to support the taxi mafia, except in the case of airport transfers, where it could be argued that the fares are already a good value.

The days of needing to stay at an isolated resort any stuck at the mercy of the taxi mafia are over. Now there are decent accommodations in most beach communities, Patong, Karon/Kata, Surin, Nai Harn, etc. You can stay in a nice room, and walk to the beach, restaurants, and shopping, etc.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Question

I'm sure there are Issan restaurants on Phuket. Any recommendations?
We will be staying in Kata then in Patong.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

I don't understand your comment linking Phuket Town with taking a tour from Rassada Pier. You can book your tour tickets at any part of the island, and it will included round trip minibus transfers. As I understand it, the tour prices from the pier are the same as if you bought from your hotel/local tour desk.
OK, I wasn't clear on that point. Thanks. That, and your clarification regarding what is available for tour and price points near the beach, make a lot of sense.

I am not sure about the backpacker/hostel sort of thing; I have a feeling the gap year kids out on holiday would be going "who's the old dude?" a lot. My budget is fine for decent rooms (especially in Thailand)- what I am looking for is not being isolated in a five star resort from the place where I've actually come to, and getting lots of local flavor (local food, sights and experiences). I don't see the point in coming 8000 miles to eat the Western food at the hotel buffet and spending a lot of time in a club lounge, even if it is very nice. I could do that much closer to home.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My budget is fine for decent rooms (especially in Thailand)- what I am looking for is not being isolated in a five star resort from the place where I've actually come to, and getting lots of local flavor (local food, sights and experiences).
Many people her don't like Patong, for good reason. But all the beach communities have had a surge of 'Name brand hotels' coming into the towns. Hilton has long been in Karon beach. New Novotel and a 2 yr old Ibis in Patong, as well as Holiday Inn Express and such in Patong. Then there are the myriad of independent hotels, Duangjit, Bann Thai, Thara Patong, and so many more.

I apologize that my list includes mostly Patong hotels, as I am sure there are great hotels right in the other beach townships, Karon, Kata, Surin, and Nai Harn. I just don't have the on-hand experience to know the many places.

Another name to try is Centara, a Thai hotel company with many locations from mid-scale to upscale scattered all over Phuket. As I understand, they are owned by Central, so they have great financial backing and have been able to build up a prominent set of locations and maintain a brand standard, holding a good reputation.

I had held off replying, hoping that some of the other local FTers would jump in. I know my own view is skewed, so another voice would make for a more balanced thread of responses.

Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

But, on New Year's Eve, they have a big celebration right in the city (a few km to the south of centre) at Saphan Hin, with concerts, beer gardens, and food stands. Primarily Thai, but foreigners welcome. I don't like the craziness of Patong NYE, so I spent last new year's up there.

Thanks for the tip. We'll be in Phuket for NYE and I was going to post looking for suggestions.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Thanks for the tip. We'll be in Phuket for NYE and I was going to post looking for suggestions.
Actually, last year I stayed at the Westin, and they had a little NYE ball, like I would suspect most resorts had. If you're staying at a hotel, check the in-house options.

Besides the Concert/Festival at Saphan Hin in Phuket Town, Don't forget the big celebration on the coast...

...of course, it's sheer madness in PATONG (crazy nightlife everyday of the year). They also have a festival with Thai pop bands playing, fireworks on the beach, and LOTS OF PEOPLE. Last year, the Hard Rock Cafe also had a concert setup with popular Thai musicians playing. All the bars in Patong have special license and there are no closing times on New Year's Eve. The party goes on until dawn, and beyond in some spots. For me, Patong is fine on a normal day, but on NYE it's just overkill. But, from the looks of it, most people love it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:20 am

Any ideas about Phi Phi Island?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by aben
Any ideas about Phi Phi Island?
It is beautiful. But, there are no shortage of beautiful beaches in Asia. I don't like what they did to it. And the attitude of the tourists and the locals disappoints me. Basically, Phi Phi Island is a tourist ghetto, as if Khao San Road came to the beach...

That being said. Phi Phi Island continues to impress and keeps guests satisfied, very much so! (I have data that supports this claim).

Clear warm water, tropical feel, great views from the hilltop, beach parties and fire dancing (all night long???). CHEAP day trips and boats for hire. Alcohol, fruit shakes, night clubs, coffee shops... and an abundance of dive shops.

I am a little too old to know anything about this, but I guess there are some nighttime party drinks that have a little extra for the ones who can't get enough. Recent, well publicized deaths were attributed to a cocktail that included cough syrup and DEET.

It's either perfect or a disaster, depending who you ask.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
amen Sean. Adding DEET and other toxic substances to drinks which lead to death just isn't my idea of a good time

and there are lots of beautiful beaches in other places in Thailand for sure
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:52 am

Thank you guys for the information. I am certain the beaches, the waters are great. I am planning to stay at The Holiday Inn Resort. Now I know what to avoid then. Are the food activities rides and stuff economical?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Phi Phi questions duplicate material that the same poster asked in another thread, which was started in the luxury hotel forum and has been moved here to the Thailand forum, since it no longer concerns luxury hotels. Please respond to the Phi Phi questions in that more specific thread.

To aben, please note that FT terms of service prohibit multiple threads on the same topic.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotel forum
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is beautiful. But, there are no shortage of beautiful beaches in Asia. I don't like what they did to it. And the attitude of the tourists and the locals disappoints me. Basically, Phi Phi Island is a tourist ghetto, as if Khao San Road came to the beach...
Would there be a good alternative you could think of as a day trip on a boat from Phuket?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:00 am

Phi Phi is a great day trip. And the value can't be beat. From Phuket trips can run from 1000THB ($30) taking the ferry back and forth to 1600THB ($48) with speedboat, which allows for more stops during the day. Prices are approximate.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
This will be our third visit to Thailand, but the first time in Phuket. We'll be staying a week around x-mas time (high season) and will be renting a car. 4 nights at the Renaissance and 3 nights at Villa Zolitude up the hill from Chalong. We love eating out from street food to fancy restaurants (preferably Thai of course, not Japanese or French since we live in Tokyo and Paris) and we're looking forward to relax on a beach, do some snorkeling, maybe visit some more secluded islands etc. Any tips for nice beaches (not too busy at high season if that's possible...) or suggestions are appreciated. The misses might also want to go dancing one night or check out some live music in a laid back atmosphere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.