Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:24 am

Summer 2014 Trip planning

I am in the process of planning a family trip to Asia that would include a 5 day visit to Phuket in July or August 2014. It will be myself, my wife and a 9 year old . I am seeking feedback on possible itineraries (things to do) and hotels to stay at. We would like a nice luxury property but still be able to enjoy day excursions such as boat trips and local visits into town. We would like to seek out tasty local eateries outside the resort. I'm Marriott Platinum and plan to use some Cat 5 certificates for part of my stay. Any suggestions for properties would be appreciated. I looked at the Marriott Khao Lak property but wasn't sure if the 1 hour ride up there would be an issue or not.

Should the time of year that we plan to go (Jul/Aug) factor into our plans to visit?

This is not my first trip to Thailand but I have not been to Phuket. We would be flying in from either HKG or SIN.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by HWN33
I am in the process of planning a family trip to Asia that would include a 5 day visit to Phuket in July or August 2014. It will be myself, my wife and a 9 year old . I am seeking feedback on possible itineraries (things to do) and hotels to stay at. We would like a nice luxury property but still be able to enjoy day excursions such as boat trips and local visits into town. We would like to seek out tasty local eateries outside the resort. I'm Marriott Platinum and plan to use some Cat 5 certificates for part of my stay. Any suggestions for properties would be appreciated. I looked at the Marriott Khao Lak property but wasn't sure if the 1 hour ride up there would be an issue or not.

Should the time of year that we plan to go (Jul/Aug) factor into our plans to visit?

This is not my first trip to Thailand but I have not been to Phuket. We would be flying in from either HKG or SIN.

Thanks!
it'll be rainy season at that time, but when i went mid July 2012 it was fine had few sprinkles at night but during day it didn't rain for us.

properties, since you are a Marriott Platinum, alot of platinums are recommending the Renascence its a category 6 for best advantages of benefits. We stayed at the JW Marriot and loved it. We also stayed at the Banyan tree and that was a treat for us in a pool villa. I also heard alot about Amanpuri so check it out.

As far as activities there are plenty of day tours- the most famous is Phi phi island tour. there are more experts on this forum so i'll let them chime in for other activities and dinning.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
it'll be rainy season at that time, but when i went mid July 2012 it was fine had few sprinkles at night but during day it didn't rain for us.

properties, since you are a Marriott Platinum, alot of platinums are recommending the Renascence its a category 6 for best advantages of benefits. We stayed at the JW Marriot and loved it. We also stayed at the Banyan tree and that was a treat for us in a pool villa. I also heard alot about Amanpuri so check it out.

As far as activities there are plenty of day tours- the most famous is Phi phi island tour. there are more experts on this forum so i'll let them chime in for other activities and dinning.
Thanks for the response. Which JW Marriott did you stay at? Khao lak or the one in Phuket proper?

Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by HWN33
Thanks for the response. Which JW Marriott did you stay at? Khao lak or the one in Phuket proper?

Thanks.
The one in Phuket - Mai Khao i believe.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Originally Posted by Cdnblue
Can anyone recommend transportation to and from the airport. We have our 6 year old and want a safe driving with seat belts in the car. Is that asking for too much?
When you walk out of the arrival hall, go all the way to the right end of the building and there is a little taxi stand. We always tell them we'll pay 700baht to Patong beach and they take it. Others are asking for around twice that. FYI - we always tip the drive ~60 baht too. LeMerdian is a little further so try 800-900 Baht. YMMV.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, HH Dia, PC Plt, Hyatt Plt, SPG Gld, Marriott Sil, Carlson Sil, Red Lion Plt
Originally Posted by LangeSohne
Does anyone have any experiences with car rentals @ Phuket? Went online and saw an American Jeep for rent at Andaman car rentals for around 1.1k bht /day, sounds awesome and the idea of driving such a car on an resorty island is such a dream.

Thinking of doing that but I'm not quite sure how the traffic is at Phuket, let alone the behavior of local drivers.
I wouldn't rent a car. I found the drivers to be insane and can't imagine driving there.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by DEQ11
I wouldn't rent a car. I found the drivers to be insane and can't imagine driving there.
+1

If you do some research, there are a good number of reasonable drivers on the island.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Marriot Mai Khao Beach

Hi Folks,

This seems quite away from phuket town right from what i see in google maps ?
Do we have restaurant / eating joint options outside the hotel too or do we need to dine in the hotel itself ?
Also, what is the economical and efficient way to get into phuket town for sightseeing etc ? Seems this is around 40-50kms away from Patong area / Kata Road ?

Am looking at a few nights stay at this property and hence wanted to check nearby transportation and food options..

Thanks, A
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: *A Gold
Hello everyone! I planned a thanksgiving mini-vaca and MR in Thailand from Wednesday 27th till December 3rd (the beginning and end dates are used up traveling), I really only have 5 real days in Thailand. I'll be in Phuket Saturday (30th) till Monday (Dec 2) I'll be hotel hopping from Renaissance and JW Marriott. I really don't have any idea what I'm in for...I just want to see beautiful beaches and I'm not much of partyer, so any ideas on what to do or check out I'm game! Thanks in advance
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tizzled
Hello everyone! I planned a thanksgiving mini-vaca and MR in Thailand from Wednesday 27th till December 3rd (the beginning and end dates are used up traveling), I really only have 5 real days in Thailand. I'll be in Phuket Saturday (30th) till Monday (Dec 2) I'll be hotel hopping from Renaissance and JW Marriott. I really don't have any idea what I'm in for...I just want to see beautiful beaches and I'm not much of partyer, so any ideas on what to do or check out I'm game! Thanks in advance
snorkel or go on a tour? phi phi island maybe? and just relax ! you can ask concierge for a list of vendors and activities they use but usually more expensive than coordinating your own ( at least from what i know).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: *A Gold
Thanks for the tip! I looked into the weather and it doesn't look very relaxing with rain and possible thunderstorms everyday, haha.... do these storm come and go Or do they really last all day? If phuket falls through I think I can head north to chiang mai instead. Sad though, I really wanted to visit Phuket
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by tizzled
Thanks for the tip! I looked into the weather and it doesn't look very relaxing with rain and possible thunderstorms everyday, haha.... do these storm come and go Or do they really last all day? If phuket falls through I think I can head north to chiang mai instead. Sad though, I really wanted to visit Phuket
my understanding yes there's rain but low rainfall from nov -march. and i beleive the 'rain' will be short if it does happen. others can comment that are more experience in travel to phuket but this is what i know ! we'll be there late Dec.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hi Folks,

This seems quite away from phuket town right from what i see in google maps ?
Do we have restaurant / eating joint options outside the hotel too or do we need to dine in the hotel itself ?
Also, what is the economical and efficient way to get into phuket town for sightseeing etc ? Seems this is around 40-50kms away from Patong area / Kata Road ?

Am looking at a few nights stay at this property and hence wanted to check nearby transportation and food options..

Thanks, A
Mai Khao IS a bit far from the "action", but that's how we like it.... it is more a family resort and away from the hustle and bustle, and pretty quiet at night. There are some local shack-type cafes around, but the hotel is basically your main dining option. I think a couple of Western restaurants are also in the small shopping complex next door. They do have a Siam Cafe below the lobby where you can buy groceries and prepared food, which is "reasonable" by foreign standards, but expensive by local standards.

Not sure how far Phuket Town is, but my experience is about an hour drive. There are "taxis" outside of the hotel that can quote rates, but not sure how much it is to go into the Town.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Chihster
Mai Khao IS a bit far from the "action", but that's how we like it.... it is more a family resort and away from the hustle and bustle, and pretty quiet at night. There are some local shack-type cafes around, but the hotel is basically your main dining option. I think a couple of Western restaurants are also in the small shopping complex next door. They do have a Siam Cafe below the lobby where you can buy groceries and prepared food, which is "reasonable" by foreign standards, but expensive by local standards.

Not sure how far Phuket Town is, but my experience is about an hour drive. There are "taxis" outside of the hotel that can quote rates, but not sure how much it is to go into the Town.
Thanks for the info.. have a 3 night stay coming up ^

Btw.. anyone has hints on a day boating trip.. primarily for snorkelling ?
We have been to phi phi earlier so dont wanna go that side.. somewhere around mai khao ?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
hello everyone ! I'm travelling to Phuket in January with family. We want to stay in Phi Phi Island for a couple of nights. What's the best Hotel in the Island? Thanks for the info!

EXPANDED QUESTION: Is staying at Phi Phi worth it? or are there good resorts/hotels (with private beach access) along Phuket's ocean side? Any hotel's suggestions? We are looking for 5 star hotels. Thanks again!

Last edited by tuchop; Nov 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.