Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by wolf72
No wait lines for customs in Phuket for international arrivals to be honest...the flow was good on the green and red lanes. They did pull some people off the green lanes for international arrivals to x-ray their bags but thats normal I think anywhere.

Otherwise, once you clear immigration, it's pretty fast getting through to the exit doors and customs.
Thanks Wolf72. ^
That was of course the answer I was hoping for, so I think I'll save the trouble of collecting the bags in BKK.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:14 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Another death in Patong. This time an expat foreigner has been charged.

Phuket has a SAFETY ZONE. But the CCTV cameras have been tampered with.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/exclusi...-charge-22019/

''I pulled out my camera to record what was happening and a security guard tried to stop me doing that. Before I knew it, I was being badly beaten up. I pulled out my knife and waved it back and forth to defend myself.

''A couple of Indians jumped in and with their help I was able to escape a little distance down the street. If the Indian tourists hadn't rescued me, I reckon I would be dead.''

Security cameras should have recorded the scene. But in some parts of Patong, cameras are disabled or turned the wrong way. "

Phuket remains the wild west. Anything goes. And Thais can do anything, with impunity.

My advice... Be careful out there!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I have a question for those who have visited the area before:

My wife and I plan on visiting Thailand in 2016 and want to spend a week or 10 days getting full island experience.

Has anyone chartered a boat for a multi-night cruise of the islands? Has anyone joined a cruise by chartering a cabin on a boat? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'm not sure we can get enough people to commit so that we can charter our own boat, but we can easily join one of these cabin charters...

http://seascape-sail.com/destination...uket_7days.php

http://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/wp-...uket-Dream.pdf

http://www.sailingtourphuket.com/cru...-thailand.html

Would it be better to just keep Phuket as a home base and take day-trips to the islands?
Would it be better to use Koh Lanta as a base and take a few day-trips from there?

Thanks in advance. I'd love information and opinions from those who have chartered before!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Staying 3 nights at Amanpuri the first week in April. Looking to explore the islands/cliffs/waters, etc.

I hear that boat tours come up and get you right from the water in front of your hotel. Any experience doing this at Amanpuri, and if so, which boat tour did you use?

Thx!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Another death in Patong. This time an expat foreigner has been charged.

Phuket has a SAFETY ZONE. But the CCTV cameras have been tampered with.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/exclusi...-charge-22019/

''I pulled out my camera to record what was happening and a security guard tried to stop me doing that. Before I knew it, I was being badly beaten up. I pulled out my knife and waved it back and forth to defend myself.

''A couple of Indians jumped in and with their help I was able to escape a little distance down the street. If the Indian tourists hadn't rescued me, I reckon I would be dead.''

Security cameras should have recorded the scene. But in some parts of Patong, cameras are disabled or turned the wrong way. "

Phuket remains the wild west. Anything goes. And Thais can do anything, with impunity.

My advice... Be careful out there!
Yes, and including in that advice should be "Don't videotape things that are none of your business hoping that you can be famous on You Tube". And, of course, there is "don't carry knives or other weapons". I suspect, purely by reading the articles, that the phrase "alcohol was involved" should be included.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Am confused with this story about the knife fight...was the guy actually involved with the fight in the bar or was he just passing by and then got involved and blamed for the death?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Am confused with this story about the knife fight...was the guy actually involved with the fight in the bar or was he just passing by and then got involved and blamed for the death?
Several versions of the story out there. It appears that he was walking by, saw bouncers removing someone from the bar, decided to record it on video. Bouncers told him to stop and tried to take his phone. He pulled a knife and stabbed someone. According to him, in self defense because he was outnumbered.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Several versions of the story out there. It appears that he was walking by, saw bouncers removing someone from the bar, decided to record it on video. Bouncers told him to stop and tried to take his phone. He pulled a knife and stabbed someone. According to him, in self defense because he was outnumbered.
Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that's the big big problem with video's on cell phones these day's and making a smart decision when and when not to film an incident.

Tragic it had to come to this.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by riphamilton
correct. upon stepping outside of the HKT terminal, take an immediate right and keep walking until you see the metered/official taxi stand. you pay a 100 baht surcharge, but then the rest of the journey is metered. it's without question the way to go in terms of comfort, price and safety.

at the stand, they'll ask where you're going, write it on a form (in thai, so that the driver will understand), and then radio the drivers. whoever wants the trip to that area will take you - you pay both the meter fee and the 100 baht surcharge to the driver.
How is the current situation w/ regards to metered taxis?

Are they available in large enough quantities?

Are they likely to keep turning their meters on after midnight?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, should work. Last month (daytime) there were plenty.

But if no taxi available just book the airport limousine (fixed price to most places in Phuket). The metered taxi will be as expensive as the limousine I paid almost 800 THB last month to Patong (incl. 100 B airport fee) which is the same as the fixed price limousine.

If you think the taxi fares will be as low as in BKK - forget it! - at least 2-3 times as expensive. And a metered taxi only works from the airport. Forget about ordering a taxi from elsewhere on the island or even going to the airport by metered taxi. Not possible. The taxi mafia is certainly still alive in Phuket...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:31 pm

We just arrived.

They do turn the meter on, but the driver took us on the "tourist route" (for an additional 5 km), although I showed him that I had Google maps on my mobile.

Haggling with taxi drivers is the worst part of a trip to Thailand IMO. We avoid them as much as possible.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yann
We just arrived.

They do turn the meter on, but the driver took us on the "tourist route" (for an additional 5 km), although I showed him that I had Google maps on my mobile.

Haggling with taxi drivers is the worst part of a trip to Thailand IMO. We avoid them as much as possible.
There are two ways to get to Patong. One is the more direct route but is a mess at the moment due to construction of the new tunnel and highway with long waits.

The alternative takes you up to the coast and then South into Patong on the narrow road past the resorts by the coast.

I suspect your driver went that way. It's easily much faster than the more traditional way.

Just because a driver takes you 5km off the beaten path does not always mean they are trying to rip you off.

He probably figured you would want to get to your hotel as fast as possible rather than letting the meter run and stuck for 30-40 minutes in a crawl just to get past 1-2 traffic lights between the airport and patong.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just because a driver takes you 5km off the beaten path does not always mean they are trying to rip you off..
And this applies beyond Phuket. There are a lot of destination in Bangkok where I instruct the driver to go out of the way to get somewhere, simply because I know while it may be a km or 2 longer, it's a whole bunch faster.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:43 pm

Thanks to you both for the lesson, but I was going to Mai Khao, not Patong (sorry about not clarifying that initially).

5 additional km is one third of the total, and definitely not the quickest route around midnight (there was no trafic whatsoever).

I know a scam when I see one and have seen far too many in Thai taxis.

I know I should let it go / not let it ruin my vacations (it doesn't) / it's just a couple dollars/euros, but I just don't like it and wanted to inform others that it does happen a lot in Phuket, even with the new metered taxis.

I also not sure about the THB amount per km (I am willing to give him benefit of the doubt for that one).

Our meter was showing 326THB for 20km, which is much more than the prices mentioned in the article below (although that information may be outdated since it is 6 months old, or there might be a night surcharge of some kind) :
http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-...cess-48508.php

Current fares are: B50 for the first two kilometers; then the fare per kilometer is B7 up to 21km, and B6 a kilometer after that.

Fares can be expected to go up. “A higher tariff is now being considering by the NCPO. A decision is and expected to be announce by the end of this month,” Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO) Chief Teerayut Prasertphol told The Phuket News.

If agreed by the NCPO, that fare will be B50 baht for first 2km, then B12/km up to 15km and B10/km after that.

Last edited by yann; Mar 19, 2015 at 10:10 pm Reason: Add details
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
They don't like the term mafia....

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The taxi mafia is certainly still alive in Phuket...
And on Samui and from Suvarnabhumi and taking a boat between islands and...

But don't use the word "mafia''. They prefer, "Small consortium of like-minded business owners."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.