Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks. Might be a bit too quiet for us.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
First time traveling to Phuket. I'm going with wife, a toddler and an infant. I was hoping to find a nice villa (or suite) with a private pool, but also close to the beach. Ideally, we would be able to get a chef to come in and make some home-made thai food, if that's possible.

Any recommendations on what might be a good resort/villa? I was looking at the usual suspect websites but I have no real sense of what the difference is between Patong vs. Bangtao or the southwestern side of Phuket Island (also, most villas seem to cater to much larger crowds than my small family - I was hoping for a small 1/2 bedroom villa within a resort somewhere).

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

kawaii, for villas in the size of the house I would pick southern part of Phuket. For resort type villas you can find them almost everywhere.
It also depends what you want to do while in Phuket. South and north parts are quiet, middle (like Patong) is crazy with nightlife and drunk foreigners on the street 24/7.

The only villa with private pool that I've stayed at was at Dewa resort. Right on the beach. I'm pretty sure that you could arrange chef to cook for your family. But, that resort have daily free Thai food cooking class.
However, Nai Yang beach is so-so. You have to walk about 15 minutes to another beach in Mai Khao - which is much nicer.
Also, there are private villas next to Mai Khao beach and going north.

Here are some pictures of stuff from Dewa villa

Here is Nai Yang beach right next to the resort:

Mai Khao beach

Here in the distance you can see Mai Khao beach (picture taken from Nai Yang beach).

One word of caution. Swim only in designated spots at the guarded beaches. Those beaches look innocent, but they have very strong under-current and sadly a lot of people ignored the warnings and have drowned.

Sorry I can't help you with other locations on the island. My first visit was to Nai Yang beach and since then I've been going only there.
I like that it's quiet, 3 beaches within walking distance, and the food around is in local price range (of course if they see tourist they will charge extra 20 cents).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:32 pm

Queue for departing Phuket Airport -- domestic flight

Dear all,

I heard about the queues at the Phuket Airport. Grateful if those with Phuket experience to share:

For my trip, I will take the AirAsia flight from Phuket to DMK (Bangkok - Don Mueang) at 1:15 pm. That means I will use the domestic terminal.

I have NO checked-in luggage.

I will also use the "benefit" of AirAsia online checkin and get a boarding pass - that means I do not need to queue at the checkin counter at the Airport.

May I kindly have you advice: I know I still need to beat the queues of security check outside the Terminal, and some passport check for the domestic flight at the Immigration (relatively shorter time than international flight I guess?). Though I am obviously trying my best to save the waiting time at the airport.

Given my case, how many hours before the flight should I arrive at the Phuket Airport?

Thanks very much for your sharing.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

1.5 hour before your flight should be plenty. Counting 30 minutes to enter the terminal, 5 minutes to go through security to the gate areas. That way you will have 15 minutes to wait in that ungodly excuse of a terminal before your boarding starts.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there will be any Immigration procedures, simply BP/ID and WTMD. With checked bags you might have to queue to scan those, in addition to checking them.

Assuming you know you're way around the terminal I'd say arrive 60-120 minutes before departure.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Check that specific day to see if there are other flights leaving around the same time, to decide if you want to be super early to beat them ,or be last minute after they all went in for duty free shopping. Domestic counter usually closes 50-30 minutes before departure, so count that in aside from 60-120 minute time frame from International

Last edited by elexianyx; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:09 pm Reason: adding comments
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by elexianyx
Check that specific day to see if there are other flights leaving around the same time, to decide if you want to be super early to beat them ,or be last minute after they all went in for duty free shopping. Domestic counter usually closes 50-30 minutes before departure, so count that in aside from 60-120 minute time frame from International
OP doesn't say anything about transferring from an International arrival but rather appears to be under the mistaken belief that there is some immigration formalities prior to a domestic flight.

Domestic cutoff is also not relevant if using OLCI.

The two thinks that concern OP is 1) the queue to enter the terminal and 2) security.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:18 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
This is a good question with enough details to answer your question.
You have a domestic, Air Asia flight, with online check-in and no checked bag.

50 minutes before your flight would be fine.... except...

You have 2 things to worry about:

1) The drive to the airport: because of traffic and congestion, the trip to the airport could be a slow one. I've missed a flight in late November because of bad traffic.

AND

2) All passengers do a preliminary x-ray scan upon entering the domestic terminal. If, the line is long, I have seen it take 10-15 minutes.
Once in, you can zip along and upstairs for the airside security screening. That one is never long.

Originally Posted by huicy
Dear all,

I heard about the queues at the Phuket Airport. Grateful if those with Phuket experience to share:

For my trip, I will take the AirAsia flight from Phuket to DMK (Bangkok - Don Mueang) at 1:15 pm. That means I will use the domestic terminal.

I have NO checked-in luggage.

I will also use the "benefit" of AirAsia online checkin and get a boarding pass - that means I do not need to queue at the checkin counter at the Airport.

May I kindly have you advice: I know I still need to beat the queues of security check outside the Terminal, and some passport check for the domestic flight at the Immigration (relatively shorter time than international flight I guess?). Though I am obviously trying my best to save the waiting time at the airport.

Given my case, how many hours before the flight should I arrive at the Phuket Airport?

Thanks very much for your sharing.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been some complaints re: Arriving Immigration at HKT; I think I saw a tweet which referenced a wait of 6 hours, not sure that's believable?

Only 13 computers now, more due any day now.

Transport Minister orders urgent action to end to Phuket Airport queues

PHUKET: Thailand’s Transport Minister Lt Gen Arkhom Termpittayapaisith inspected Phuket International Airport yesterday (Jan 22), where he announced that he had ordered urgent action to be taken to end the long queues of passengers waiting to clear immigration – and hundreds of tourists waiting to clear security to even enter the brand-new International Terminal.

Regarding the hours-long waits passengers have been forced to endure to clear immigration, Gen Arkhom said, “I have spoken with the Chief of the Immigration Bureau of Thailand, Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, and 50 extra immigration officials will be posted at Phuket International Airport.”

However, he noted, “There are only 13 computers for immigration officers to use now.”

The good news, Gen Arkhom said, “The move to purchase more equipment and dedicate more manpower will start on Jan 23.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/transpo...Q3jjwfIBcQZ.97
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Plan a trip at the end of this month, and decided to stay at the Hyatt Regency Phuket. Not the best rated hotel on that side, but couldn't pass up their HYVISA promotion (3rd night free).

Anyways, looking to do an elephant riding tour. Any advise on the best one or ones to stay away from? I heard there is only one in Phuket that is sanctioned by the government. Any ideas?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum-to-be, Hyatt Platinum
Hi! So excited my wife and I just booked a trip to Thailand for next January (2018) and would love any advice on Phuket and surrounding areas. A couple questions...
1) Best area to stay (we're not really partiers, but love good food & wine)?
2) Reputable elephant treks?
3) Yacht charters for a 2-night cruise?
4) Any smaller, off-the-beaten path beach towns in the area that won't be as crowded as Phuket?

Thanks!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: WN, UA, AA
Hi everybody!

I got a decent miles redemption for two round trip tickets in J/F to Phuket for the beginning of April. Total stay is two weeks. Fist time in Thailand. We love being on the beach and would like to explore local stuff (food, night market, etc).

We are considering either Club Med (because we like the Club) or Hilton (because I can book most of the trip on points). Both properties do not have their own beach. Is that a usual thing in Phuket? Are there properties that you all can recommend that are on beach rather than across the road?

Another option is to spend one week in Phuket and another elsewhere. Ko Lanta has caught my eye. Is it worth island hoping or are there plenty of beaches in Phuket to explore?

In short: any hotel recommendations with beach property. Convenient scuba option is a plus.

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
For those asking for advice on where to stay,

we had the most incredibly stay at Chalanai Hillside Resort. It was about $30us a night, they had a ground floor pool and rooftop pool. Just a short walk from Karon Beach. Next time I'm back I will definitely stay there !!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
My family will head to Phuket in December and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any companies that charter a boat (the entire speedboat) to do tours like Phi-Phi Islands, etc. @Spartan 301 @devastor for elephant treks look into Elephant Nature Park. I've had friends try it and from my research seems to be the most reputable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.