Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Test & Go Application Process changes

Test & Go Application Process changes

Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by seigex
Ok rub it in that you got to fly on an A380 ... I'm not jealous, I promise. Thanks for the report.
Just in the last week, this flight changed from an Asiana A330 to an A380. So travel to Thailand must be picking up! My first trip in an A380 x years. Sitting downstairs though! 😳
LIH Prem and seigex like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Just in the last week, this flight changed from an Asiana A330 to an A380. So travel to Thailand must be picking up! My first trip in an A380 x years. Sitting downstairs though! 😳
KE OZ just announced they were adding the A380 back. It's doing 3 trips between LAX and ICN. I have to figure out how to book either J or F on it soon

EDIT: it was OZ not KE

Last edited by seigex; Jun 30, 2022 at 12:37 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Today is the last day of Thailand Pass....and they still checked it seriously before boarding and just after arrival at a special desk... immigration had already long queues and fast lane was not clearly defined...together with Thai passports and the Indian family before me took alone around 10 minutes alone to get through...
restlessinRNO and seigex like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Today is the last day of Thailand Pass....and they still checked it seriously before boarding and just after arrival at a special desk... immigration had already long queues and fast lane was not clearly defined...together with Thai passports and the Indian family before me took alone around 10 minutes alone to get through...
Oh you went through today too? Was fairly quick for us as well today, despite LH having just arrived ahead of us. Separate check of Thailand Pass with a bypass lane for Thai citizens but seemed to me like they just matched the name on the TP to that on the passport, and then all good. Immigration was a bit of a mess, with fast track being hidden behind the cordons for Thai passport holders effectively requiring one to cross through the Thai ‘channel’ to get to fast track
BinSabai and seigex like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Oh you went through today too? Was fairly quick for us as well today, despite LH having just arrived ahead of us. Separate check of Thailand Pass with a bypass lane for Thai citizens but seemed to me like they just matched the name on the TP to that on the passport, and then all good. Immigration was a bit of a mess, with fast track being hidden behind the cordons for Thai passport holders effectively requiring one to cross through the Thai ‘channel’ to get to fast track
yes, at about 315pm...I asked twice and they sent me to the Thai lanes...(behind the Thai lanes were only the automatic doors for Thais, which were totally empty...so where is the real fast lane...)...well got in the slowest lane with the Indian family and a real slow officer....totally maybe 15 minutes...I did not wait at immigration in BKK for so long since they introduced fast lanes many years ago...
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:16 am

EDIT: crisis averted literally last minute, trip started

Last edited by seigex; Jul 1, 2022 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
yes, at about 315pm...I asked twice and they sent me to the Thai lanes...(behind the Thai lanes were only the automatic doors for Thais, which were totally empty...so where is the real fast lane...)...well got in the slowest lane with the Indian family and a real slow officer....totally maybe 15 minutes...I did not wait at immigration in BKK for so long since they introduced fast lanes many years ago...
We must have been there at around the same time then! We came in delayed on OS (never again! - not because of the delay though), and are still waiting for our luggage to be delivered to our home..

If you are coming from the A/B/C side of the airport, then the first immigration hall has a fast track towards the right-hand side - but you have to cross over the tensa-barrier across the Thai lane from the Foreigner side, which was no problem. Some immigration people tried to scream at us, but I just held up the boarding pass showing Business class and kept walking - through with zero waiting time.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:37 am
Original Poster

We must have been there at around the same time then! We came in delayed on OS (never again! - not because of the delay though), and are still waiting for our luggage to be delivered to our home..

If you are coming from the A/B/C side of the airport, then the first immigration hall has a fast track towards the right-hand side - but you have to cross over the tensa-barrier across the Thai lane from the Foreigner side, which was no problem. Some immigration people tried to scream at us, but I just held up the boarding pass showing Business class and kept walking - through with zero waiting time.
thanks...next time I know...or they change again...

OS or OZ? What was so bad about that flight?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:41 am

thanks...next time I know...or they change again...

OS or OZ? What was so bad about that flight?
Haha change is likely - the main signs still point further down towards the middle for Fast Track as they have always done, but just ignore

OS… The flight… We barely made it on our connection which happens, had to run through VIE. Luggage may or may not arrive by 11pm tonight (so 30+ hrs late, nobody seems to care).

But the real crack was the food and service - for a delayed late night flight, I would have hoped the service (keep in mind our EU business connection served nothing but a few pieces of pasta in tomato sauce) would be expedited, rather than dragged out with a tray of nothing but a cover on it for a long time. And when it arrived, the food was pretty much inedible and taking forever between courses.

And my earphone Jack went toast 30 mins into the flight, so no IFE - crew’s solution was to keep trying different headsets, and after the third one I said forget it. Granted, they did offer to move us to somewhere in the bowels of the J cabin, but wasn’t really interesting at that point
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Haha change is likely - the main signs still point further down towards the middle for Fast Track as they have always done, but just ignore

OS… The flight… We barely made it on our connection which happens, had to run through VIE. Luggage may or may not arrive by 11pm tonight (so 30+ hrs late, nobody seems to care).

But the real crack was the food and service - for a delayed late night flight, I would have hoped the service (keep in mind our EU business connection served nothing but a few pieces of pasta in tomato sauce) would be expedited, rather than dragged out with a tray of nothing but a cover on it for a long time. And when it arrived, the food was pretty much inedible and taking forever between courses.

And my earphone Jack went toast 30 mins into the flight, so no IFE - crew’s solution was to keep trying different headsets, and after the third one I said forget it. Granted, they did offer to move us to somewhere in the bowels of the J cabin, but wasn’t really interesting at that point
That's kind of surprising. OS is known for their catering, and I have always had great meals / service with them. Hopefully just a one-off, and sorry for your disappointment.

I am heading back to BKK tomorrow. Feels weird (in a very good way) to not be running about for COVID tests and paperwork printouts.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
That's kind of surprising. OS is known for their catering, and I have always had great meals / service with them. Hopefully just a one-off, and sorry for your disappointment.

I am heading back to BKK tomorrow. Feels weird (in a very good way) to not be running about for COVID tests and paperwork printouts.
That was what I was hoping for too - only flew them once many years ago but that was very good. On the other hand, LX outbound from BKK was brilliant, both food and service!

Oh and the luggage just arrived, 10:30pm the day after arrival (apparently it takes 8 hrs from Suvarnabhumi to deliver priority luggage…!)
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:44 am

Thailand pass-less check-in experience with JAL at SEA was smooth. They only asked for my vax card and passport, nothing else, didn't even mention the thailand pass or insurance, also had them check me and my luggage through on two separate PNRs. If I was on a single PNR, it would have been even faster.

Took less 5 minutes (being OneWorld Emerald saved me about 30 minutes in line. Now sitting at the lounge waiting to board at 1:30pm.
goodeats21, BinSabai and rariya like this.

Last edited by seigex; Jul 1, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Checked in for my BKK trip that starts tomorrow; United Airlines, connecting to TG in Europe.
Uploaded Vax card and now "travel ready". No mention of Thai Pass, Insurance, etc.

All boarding passes in hand. Looks good, and much better than ASQs and such.
restlessinRNO, seigex and rariya like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
All boarding passes in hand. Looks good, and much better than ASQs and such.
100% .. the quarantine was an expensive pain in the ....
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

sorry to hear about your bad experience

but what a coincidence!
I was actually on the same OS25 flight!

my European connection was 1 hour late (due to late inbound flight) with just 25 minutes left for transit (looks like many others were delayed as well like yours)....but even we docked at the last position in the terminal, I did not run, just walked (fast as usual) as I was guessing, that OS25 will leave late as well....I even walked back to the lounge, but they closed at 2300
my luggage also made it
regarding the food: I actually prefer a slow service course by course with a different wine for starter and main meal and a coffee to pair with my dessert, rather than the cattleclass-style everything on one tray fast service like LX and LH on their late night flights
my food was ok, not great, but maybe we had different choices as starter/main and dessert; wines were good; they focus mainly on Austrian wine, which improved a lot during the last decades

and I consider the OS staff as one of the most friendly and helpful of any European, certainly better than their sisters LX and LH; anyway I felt treated well

well it shows me once more that the same flight experience can be appraised very differently depending on mindset (I was happy I made it on the long haul, as our inbound flight could have been delayed further), expectation and circumstances (my luggage made it; yours not)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.