Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: exp
Thailand Reopening: Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travelers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travelers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
https://tp.consular.go.th/

Properties for day-one quarantine: https://asq.in.th/asq-bangkok-thaila...ctedItem=1+Day

TG's "rules"/form
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...e-covid19.page

Form for health cert.
https://www.thaiairways.com/static/c...ificate_TG.jpg

Thai inbound covid insurance comparison site:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thanks to transpac

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: United, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by SunLover
i just got back from a leisure trip to Bangkok. I don’t think you will be facing mortal danger, but quite possibly travel disruptions, which was my major concern. i routed NYC-Europe-BKK (and back) in C/F on an award ticket. Less dense travel, and flexibility in making changes. I deliberately avoided an Asia transit connection. If you can route Europe (not Italy) I think you would be in better shape.

i agree that Bangkok will always be there. I also understand wanderlust, wanting to get out of dodge, and wanting to using up expiring miles. You can also always reschedule for a future (hopefully less dicey time) BKK trip.

SL
Well I still have a few days to think this over, and with the availability in C/F classes for award travel, I could push it a few more days and see what happens as I'm off until March 18th.

If you can route Europe (not Italy) I think you would be in better shape:
Tried this yesterday with AA and its a ton more miles for BA or Finnair (I'm so happy we are back to Star Alliance at work) so its not an option.

wanting to get out of dodge, and wanting to using up expiring miles:
This and this

You can also always reschedule for a future (hopefully less dicey time) BKK trip:
Ya I'm 50/50 as of this moment, but as you said travel disruptions is my main concern.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another cluster from another flight from Japan...

Thai "authorities" are reacting quite strangely re: handling the virus crisis. Who knows what they might do?

For now they want to invoke a 2008 Security Act to ban student protests, because of the virus - wink, wink, nudge, nudge. But the Moto GP race (220,000 people last year), Songkran (what could go wrong with people throwing water at each other for 3+ days), concerts and trade shows all moving forward.

Passengers from Sapporo asked to report to health officials

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/passeng...lth-officials/

Given the short duration of StarAlliance25's trip, I'd say the virus is probably a non-issue; you should be back home before any symptoms if you were to contract the virus. Getting stuck somewhere for 2+ weeks would be my concern.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Kuwait is evacuating its citizens from Thailand due to the virus.

"Kuwait Airways will operate a flight to Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, to evacuate Kuwaiti citizens there, the information ministry said on Twitter on Friday.The ministry said the flight from Bangkok would leave on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Bangkok time, and urged its citizens in Thailand to contact the embassy."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN20M2LK
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:37 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Really?

As per worldometer:

Thailand: 42 cases, 28 already recovered, zero deaths

Kuwait: 45 cases, zero recoveries, zero deaths

Statistically your chances to survive are higher in TH...

Last edited by TPJ; Feb 29, 2020 at 11:51 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by StarAlliance25
My main concern is that Thailand or Japan could impose restrictions on travel, and that's mainly why I ask the question, but If stuck I could transit another country. I was just looking for insight from another traveler like yourself, and being that it sounds like your local even better. Do you foresee Thailand or Japan imposing travel restrictions to either country
Unlikely.

TH has not even banned PRC nationals as tourism revenue is too important.

In fact when I arrived to BKK some 2 weeks ago, my aircraft parked 3 gates from the CA flight about to depart to PEK.. Most flights to CN are cancelled but not CA flights to PEK.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
We're being told there has been at least one death, with complications (Dengue fever).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning...onavirus-death

The most recent government report (28 Feb) shows 2,789 PUI, and 1,269 undergoing treatment in hospitals (no confirmed COVID-19, testing here seems strangely unreported). This "undergoing treatment" number is rising at an alarming rate, it was 991 in the 27 Feb report.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumoni...o56-280263.pdf

Some assume the "government" is being "optimistic". That any country, including Kuwait, wishes to repatriate its citizens should hardly be shocking. Some Americans have already been sent home by their sponsoring organizations.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Unless you end up in a hospital.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
Really?

As per worldometer:

Kuwait: 45 cases, zero recoveries, zero deaths

That's if you believe the Thai government's official numbers. The number of "Patients Under Investigation" has risen exponentially in the last few weeks, now approaching 3,000. Miraculously, these people don't seem to ever catch the virus.

The actions of the Kuwaiti government would appear to indicate their skepticism of the reporting from Bangkok's ruling military junta.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Mar 1, 2020 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by transpac
For now they want to invoke a 2008 Security Act to ban student protests, because of the virus - wink, wink, nudge, nudge. But the Moto GP race (220,000 people last year), Songkran (what could go wrong with people throwing water at each other for 3+ days), concerts and trade shows all moving forward.
MotoGP has been postponed indefinitely.

"The prestigious motorsports event MotoGP 2020 scheduled for March 20-22 in Buri Ram province has been postponed indefinitely due to the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus, Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Monday."
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Although this woman was not flying to Thailand, I think this is what many of us fear about traveling right now. It's not the remote chance of getting infected, rather it is the possibility of someone else's lack of precaution or screw-up resulting in a 14 or 28 day quarantine, perhaps in a foreign country. The headline: 'This truly is a nightmare': How one businesswoman's flight to China ended in coronavisus quarantine.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
MotoGP has been postponed indefinitely.
Yes, but just a few days ago the same "minister" said the MotoGP race was 100% safe and that it would be held.

I think that when Qatar canceled the season kick-off race it was easy for Thailand to follow on?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:39 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:49 pm

One hopes the face masks in question were not from the factory “recycling” used masks, by paying workers 1 Baht to iron.fold and repackage them to be sold as new. If it gets any lower than this, I’m yet to hear of it, even in Thailand. Police raided the factory: many thousands of the things had already been ‘processed’.

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
This same Deputy PM/Minister of Health also previously stated:
"Foreigners who do not wear face masks should be sent home". He later retracted this statement saying "face masks do not prevent the spread of the virus".
"He wii invoke the National Security Act to prevent students from holding gatherings to protest about the government on the basis that large gatherings were likely to spread the virus. He later retracted this by saying students must obay the law relating to gatherings".
This man needs to put 'brain in gear before engaging his mouth' if he wants to instill confidence in Thailand's health system.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:10 pm

Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm Reason: Add photo
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:32 pm

Post Deleted

Last edited by Oldtiger; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.