Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: exp
Thailand Reopening: Exemption from Quarantine (TEST & GO)

Required Documents:

• A Certificate of Vaccination (fully vaccinated) with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Those previously infected within 3 months must have received 1 dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling.
  • Travelers under 12 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians, are exempt from the vaccination requirement.
  • A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling (all travelers).
  • A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at SHA+, AQ, OQ, or AHQ accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test.
  • An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
https://tp.consular.go.th/

Properties for day-one quarantine: https://asq.in.th/asq-bangkok-thaila...ctedItem=1+Day

TG's "rules"/form
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...e-covid19.page

Form for health cert.
https://www.thaiairways.com/static/c...ificate_TG.jpg

Thai inbound covid insurance comparison site:

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thanks to transpac

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
"The Holland-US “MS Westerdam” cruise ship will not be allowed to dock at Laem Chabang Port in Chonburi province after having been turned away by three countries over fears of the new coronavirus spreading.

Referring to the company’s website, which stated that Thailand would allow the ship to dock at Laem Chabang Port on Thursday (February 13), Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul posted on his Facebook page past midnight on Tuesday (February 11) that he had issued orders not to allow the ship to dock in Thailand."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381937
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Hotels in Thailand tend to raise rates as occupancy drops.
Fascinating insight. I would never have thought that would be the response. Thanks for letting me know
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Hotels in Thailand tend to raise rates as occupancy drops.
I've not seen that. Low season rates are always much lower. Even the Oriental discounts.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I finally went ahead and booked, on Korean. Could be a mistake, but I'm going by the advisories and hoping things don't get too much worse. It's also mainly a business trip, with some pressures there.

My own bit of paranoia is being concerned about going to Bumrungrad or any other hospital for much this time.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thailand's embattled minister for tourism and sports has painted a rosy picture for the future regarding the Covid-19 virus outbreak.

As other countries were hunkering down and cities were being sealed off Pipat Ratchakitprakarn said he expects everything will be much better for Thailand by Songkran - mid April. He told Thai Rath after a meeting in the south that the virus does not like hot weather and along with other countries entering summer its impact will lessen.

Plus he expected his Chinese friends to have come up with a vaccine by then.

"We'll be back to normal within half a year," he said. "After Songkran the worst will be behind us" Pipat pointed to Thailand's brilliant response to the virus crisis and the kingdom's renowned health facilities, respected and appreciated across the globe.

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/south/1778516
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Thailand has reported three new cases, total of 40 (that have been officially reported as confirmed):

"Thailand has confirmed three more novel coronavirus cases, taking the country’s total to 40, and authorities criticised one of the patients for denying a trip to Japan and said the country will step up efforts to contain the disease."

and

"Two of the new patients, all of whom were Thai nationals, had returned from vacation in Japan's northern island of Hokkaido and came into contact with the third patient, an 8-year old boy, said Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary for public health.

The male patient had not disclosed his travel history when he first sought medical attention and risked becoming a super-spreader, an incident of large transmission from a single source, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...vel-disclosure
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyC
I finally went ahead and booked, on Korean. Could be a mistake,

The "Korean" part might be the biggest mistake?

You could likely face a quarantine on arrival in Thailand, and in the U.S. upon return.

Some ex-pats are being evacuated from Thailand, proactively.
LAXlocal likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by transpac
The "Korean" part might be the biggest mistake?
Agreed. Especially after the news today that one of their FAs contracted the virus, likely from a tourist group flying ICN-TLV. The FA had also worked flights to LAX.

More importantly, assuming Rusty is flying from ATL, I would fly Turkish or Qatar. Turkish is presently the lowest ATL-BKK fare and Qatar is about a hundred less than KE, both airlines are much more comfortable than KE, and both leave late afternoon or early evening versus the KE flights which eat up an extra day because they leave around noon. The flights are usually less than half full, Doha is a great airport for transfer and the flights arrive in BKK during the day instead of around midnight and flying either airline is usually faster than going over the Pacific.

I know we do not earn SkyMiles on either airline but even without status those airlines are better than KE and it does not take much to get status with either airline. I have made the switch and become their biggest fan.
LAXlocal likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: United, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Priority Pass
I posted over in the Japan forum, but I figured I would post here also. I have an AA (JAL) award ticket for a very short trip to BKK leaving Tues (March 3) and returning Sunday (March 8).

March 3/4 JFK-NRT-BKK
March 8/9 BKK-HND-JFK

I'm still sitting on this, and haven't cancelled my trip yet, but I wanted to get some insight into what you guys think about connecting in NRT/HND next week. Information about connecting in these countries is limited to almost nothing (as far as I can find). Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I plan on sitting on this until Monday (March 2) afternoon/evening. Since it's an award ticket I can hold off until almost departure time for the standard 150$ as AA said as of now they aren't waiving anything for Japan or Thailand.

Thanks again
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there is any way to know what might happen this afternoon, let alone in three/eight days?

Is the trip essential? What did you plan to do here? Hopefully, you're not coming for the clean air. Where in Thailand will you be going? Thailand will still be here after the initial virus surge.

The most recent cluster kicked off with a Thai returning from Hokkaido.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:56 pm

I don't think there is any way to know what might happen this afternoon, let alone in three/eight days?

Is the trip essential? What did you plan to do here? Hopefully, you're not coming for the clean air. Where in Thailand will you be going? Thailand will still be here after the initial virus surge.

The most recent cluster kicked off with a Thai returning from Hokkaido.
Its not essential, just my yearly holiday and I've been snowbound for weeks now... These were miles that were set to expire, I plan to fly over in JAL (J) and back in JAL(F- which I've never done). Basically sit poolside for 3 days and go home. I plan to pretty much stay inside the hotel, with one trip to the night market or MBK Center. I've been to Bangkok 20+ times, so as a single traveler its familiar. I travel for work 200+ plus days a year, both domestic and International so I'm not a novice, but since SARS I've haven't seen anything like this. I plan to be smart in the sense that I'll follow all the CDC instructions. My main concern is that Thailand or Japan could impose restrictions on travel, and that's mainly why I ask the question, but If stuck I could transit another country. I was just looking for insight from another traveler like yourself, and being that it sounds like your local even better. Do you foresee Thailand or Japan imposing travel restrictions to either country (yes million dollar questions)? Thanks for your insight!

BTW: Bangkok only for travel, no beaches.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarAlliance25
Do you foresee Thailand ..... imposing travel restrictions to either country (yes million dollar questions)? Thanks for your insight!

BTW: Bangkok only for travel, no beaches.
Again, no way to know what might happen here. The "government" is still a military dictatorship, masked as a "democracy" so transparency is limited.

Some Thai companies are restricting foreign travel.

Some ex-pats are being sent back to the U.S.

Bad air, water shortage, virus, political unrest just beginning. Honestly, there have got to be better places to travel to? Surely there are pools elsewhere? Not sure I'd travel 24+ hours for MBK or a night market?

I would (and have) strongly discourage people I care about from traveling to Thailand for the next few months.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I would (and have) strongly discourage people I care about from traveling to Thailand for the next few months.
Agreed. Under ordinary circumstances you are always taking a chance of getting sick or stuck in a foreign destination but given the uncertainties surrounding this outbreak and the quarantines some find themselves in for up to 28 days I would avoid discretionary travel right now.

My vantage point on this comes from actually getting infected with a disease while in a foreign country. Trust me, you don't want to. Due to the infection, I spent much of the past year in the hospital cleaning up the damage it caused. There was the three week stay for around the clock IV antibiotics, several MRIs, CAT scans, spinal taps and hundreds of blood tests. There was the heart surgery and aorta fix, the six month loss of balance and the kidney failure. And much more. Plus since the infection I got is not found in the US, every intern, resident, fellow and academic doctor from two different med schools came to my room to see the oddity. Does this make me not want to travel? No, but it does make me realize taking undo risk, like going to Asia right now, is not worth it.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by StarAlliance25
Its not essential, just my yearly holiday and I've been snowbound for weeks now... These were miles that were set to expire, I plan to fly over in JAL (J) and back in JAL(F- which I've never done). Basically sit poolside for 3 days and go home.
i just got back from a leisure trip to Bangkok. I don’t think you will be facing mortal danger, but quite possibly travel disruptions, which was my major concern. i routed NYC-Europe-BKK (and back) in C/F on an award ticket. Less dense travel, and flexibility in making changes. I deliberately avoided an Asia transit connection. If you can route Europe (not Italy) I think you would be in better shape.

i agree that Bangkok will always be there. I also understand wanderlust, wanting to get out of dodge, and wanting to using up expiring miles. You can also always reschedule for a future (hopefully less dicey time) BKK trip.

SL
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:31 am

Again, no way to know what might happen here. The "government" is still a military dictatorship, masked as a "democracy" so transparency is limited.

Some Thai companies are restricting foreign travel.

Some ex-pats are being sent back to the U.S.

Bad air, water shortage, virus, political unrest just beginning. Honestly, there have got to be better places to travel to? Surely there are pools elsewhere? Not sure I'd travel 24+ hours for MBK or a night market?

Thanks for the insight. Last time I was in Bangkok was Jan 2019 aside from the virus have things drastically changed there since this time?

Some ex-pats are being sent back to the U.S. :

Why are they being sent back? Government or is this a company/work decision?

Honestly, there have got to be better places to travel to? Surely there are pools elsewhere? Not sure I'd travel 24+ hours for MBK or a night market?:

I've actually done this more then a few times, we stopped using AA/One World a while back, and my miles are set to expire in the next month or so. My reasoning this time and in the past is let me get the most for my miles that I can, meaning if I'm going to use them and not let them expire let me get the "most for my money" long International flight in Business/First in a three class cabin. Even through I do it for work I do enjoy long flights in an upper class, business/first class lounges, reading and watching movies on the long flight (yes I'm crazy). Yes there are other places, and yes there are certainly pools all over the world ;P. Bangkok/Manila/Hong Kong/Macau/Sydney(don't have enough miles for SYD this time) has always fit that criteria in the past and is why I picked it for this one. Just to explain my crazy 48 hours of travel for 3 days on the ground. I'm also a solo traveler so boredom does set in, and usually 3-5 days is the most I can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.