Wiki Posts
Search

[Merged] Thai Airways Refund Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: TK G
Originally Posted by true1976
Hi,

I also highly recommend to log a "credit card dispute" on the amount Thai Airways owes you.

I am based in Bangkok and just called Citibank, the process is quite straightforward, send all your documents (E-ticket + cancellation email from Thai Airways).

They will credit back the amount and investigate on your behalf. I was told that VISA also has an insurance in case a company becomes "bankrupt". Basically Thai Airways would have to prove that they were able to provide the service mentioned (which they obviously aren't). If they cannot prove this, they become at fault and we "win" the dispute.

I disputed once with AMAZON a phone that I bought which then got caught in Thai customs (customs seized it, no way to return it to Amazon). I thought I had less than 1% chance of winning the dispute, but I actually did win and got my money back.

Worth a try for sure.....
I was told by a Citibank staff if the merchant does not refund the money (eg TG) to Citibank, they won’t refund to me neither... 😫
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I was told by a Citibank staff if the merchant does not refund the money (eg TG) to Citibank, they won’t refund to me neither...
May I make a guess? This was told you on the phone - and Citibank has fobbed you off with that kind of excuse.
When it comes to chargebacks it does not matter whether the merchant pays back the money or not. The money flow is purely between the acquirer bank and the card issueing bank (Citibank). There are set chargeback rules that both the acquirer and the issuer have to follow.
chris63 and andyptrav like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
May I make a guess? This was told you on the phone - and Citibank has fobbed you off with that kind of excuse.
When it comes to chargebacks it does not matter whether the merchant pays back the money or not. The money flow is purely between the acquirer bank and the card issueing bank (Citibank). There are set chargeback rules that both the acquirer and the issuer have to follow.
ok, but how can the acquirer bank to be forced / who can force them to pay back the money?

I checked the status of my dispute, I disputed End of May. No outcome yet. I was told it takes up to 90 days. Let’s see...
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:58 am
Suspended

ok, but how can the acquirer bank to be forced / who can force them to pay back the money?
Well, but you know that Thai Airways and the acquirer bank are two different entities. The latter is bound by contractual obligations to follow the chargeback guidelines.
If Citibank gave you written statements that they won't refund you if TG won't pay, you have a good case against Citi.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fraserman
Were you successful with your charge backs?
Thai rejected the chargeback saying they will give it within 180 days. My bank has now responded saying 180 days isn't good enough. So a new 45 day period has begun and ends in about a month's time...
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Thai rejected the chargeback saying they will give it within 180 days. My bank has now responded saying 180 days isn't good enough. So a new 45 day period has begun and ends in about a month's time...
I see.

I started my dispute End of May, probably they will tell me the same, but no news so far from TG...
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:44 pm
Suspended

I was told that VISA also has an insurance in case a company becomes "bankrupt".
You were told some BS.
The so-called "insurance" is just a hold-back from the acquirer bank. If the hold-back is zero (because the airline and the acquirer share the same bed with each other), then there is also no "insurance" available for a bankcruptcy.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:09 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Wow..... so I booked a Bangkok-Chiang Mai ticket in March for a flight in April..... Of course the flight was canceled and I started the refund process in June.
Well I just received the travel voucher, valid until Dec 31, 2022.
Better late than never I guess. I wasn't really counting on receiving this anyways, it was a small amount THB 1330 so I considered it as lost. Note that there is an option to refuse the voucher and ask for a refund as per initial payment but I won't bother.... not worth my time and effort for THB 1330. We should hopefully be able to fly again by Dec 31, 2022
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Wow..... so I booked a Bangkok-Chiang Mai ticket in March for a flight in April..... Of course the flight was canceled and I started the refund process in June.
Well I just received the travel voucher, valid until Dec 31, 2022.
Did you request a refund when you cancelled but they sent you a voucher, or did you specifically asked for a travel voucher? I had requested a refund, but at this point, I would be willing to take a voucher if it went through 2022.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:32 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Did you request a refund when you cancelled but they sent you a voucher, or did you specifically asked for a travel voucher? I had requested a refund, but at this point, I would be willing to take a voucher if it went through 2022.
I asked for a reimbursement. Now, it's a small amount so i'm not going to do more on it... Especially because the ticket was a non--refundable fare. So I'm good with a voucher. And if TG disappears before end of 2022.... so be it.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I asked for a reimbursement.
Thanks. I hope that I will receive the same offer.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fraserman
I see.

I started my dispute End of May, probably they will tell me the same, but no news so far from TG...
Thanks to Warakorn’s suggestions, I stand firm defending my rights and Citibank Thailand refunded all my 12 TG tickets (8 to Europe, 4 domestic) in October, which I started to claim in May (flights supposed to be in April & June) & 4 LH tickets.

Very big thanks to him for the great suggestions he made here on FT!!!

Without his suggestions, I would not have known about the possibility of chargeback and how the system works. If you don’t know how the charge back system works, then it is difficult to argue with the banks.

But I think at the End it also depends how supportive the issuing Credit Card bank / the person you follow up with is and how much efforts / time a customer is willing to put into it.

One time a customer service officer did not want to take my claim, another time the officer was not familiar about the procedure. In those cases, I did not waste my time and I asked to speak to the supervisor. I followed up our conversation later in writing by email.

Several calls and emails afterwards are also necessary to make sure the cases are followed up in the time period informed before. Of course it always took longer but you have to push them again and again until the result is satisfactory. Don’t wait until they come back to you!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I asked for a refund for my domestic flight tickets, my credit card issuing bank refunded me the money already but they still send me automatically also a ticket voucher by email.

i think their system automatically generates those vouchers.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:38 pm

The voucher is also a mess. Once used, the voucher number changes.
Booking is also very manual. Gotta call or write a form.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Thai Airways
FYI I applied for a refund for 2 No one way tickets in mid November 2020 and received the refund in full last week. (Tickets were not purchased in Thailand).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.