[Merged] Thai Airways Refund Questions

Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by woodentom
recent experience of thai airways. had flights booked from UK-BKK-Krabi in november. noticed last weekend one of the flight segments was cancelled. i have not received an email so lucky i checked. emailed the UK office and heard nothing. ended up ringing thailand and 3 calls later was told best option to cancel entire booking and get refund. as i was concerned with thai airways by this point is did that to be told the refund will take 90 days (wasn't expecting that) and took another 2 calls just to get an email to say the cancellation is in process and refund in progress. due to the cost of the tickets i am concerned in not having the money back quicker and this email is all i have (no amounts noted on it). then i found my phone company charged my 100 for the thailand calls

not the best experience and now have to wait months for the refund
With double daily flights to LHR and multiple onwards flights to KBV was a cancellation the best option for you?

Or a rerouting via HKT?

I just wouldn't be a rush to go down a refund process with TG I'm surprised at this outcome
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by chris63
You should always pay by credit card for flight tickets, if something goes wrong, just do a charge back. And calling International use SKYPE
i did use a credit card......but still assume it is the waiting game......SKYPE i thought that was long gone, thanks
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by woodentom
i did use a credit card......but still assume it is the waiting game......SKYPE i thought that was long gone, thanks
There is no justification for a refund to take 90 days, i would do a chargeback

SKYPE is very much alive, when in Thailand its great lots of Companies in UK have freephone numbers, those are entirely free
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: royal orchid star alliance
My take on the refund scheme.

I booked a ticket in March 2020 for a flight with Thai Air LHR-BKK for September 2020 until December 2020.

Of course! It was cancelled...I sent numerous e-mails to Thai, (asking for a refund),never getting any reply.

Towards the end of last year, I "only" sent one e-mail a month..again no reply!

Fast forward to May of 2022, I sent another e-mail to Thai, (expecting no reply) asking for a refund..Imagine my surprise, the next day, I received an e-mail from Thai (London) saying I couldnt have a refund? But I could have a "credit" flight? I asked how I went about getting this "credit" flight? Just reply to this e-mail with the dates you want , was their answer. This I did..And within maybe 20 minutes, I received an e-mail from them, with my flight booked for this September 2022 until December 2022.

I booked in economy. No extra charge was asked for or paid...SO I was quite happy, as id "written off" me ever getting a single penny back from Thai!

Ive also booked to go to Thailand with Swiss air (January to April 2023 in business class).

I did promise myself, Id never fly thai again though...I did used to like the A380 flight to BKK from LHR. IF they re-instate the A380 I may consider flying them again...Who knows though!!
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
There were three options for COVID-impacted bookings with THAI;

1. try and seek a refund. 2. take a voucher for the value you paid for your flights, and use it at a later date. 3. keep your tickets 'open dated' for use at a future time.

So you have ended up with option 3 kind of by default.

I deliberately sought option 3 as my ticket already had my ROP Gold upgrade applied to it and the other other two options would certainly see this lost. I also have (kind of) re-booked and am happy enough. THAI doesn't fly directly to Auckland since the pandemic so things have been a bit tricky.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: royal orchid star alliance
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
There were three options for COVID-impacted bookings with THAI;

1. try and seek a refund. 2. take a voucher for the value you paid for your flights, and use it at a later date. 3. keep your tickets 'open dated' for use at a future time.

So you have ended up with option 3 kind of by default.

I deliberately sought option 3 as my ticket already had my ROP Gold upgrade applied to it and the other other two options would certainly see this lost. I also have (kind of) re-booked and am happy enough. THAI doesn't fly directly to Auckland since the pandemic so things have been a bit tricky.
Thanks for that.....That would explain a lot then!
In truth, I was really happy to get another flight, as I had "written off" ever getting a penny back from them!

Im only, usually! a lowly economy flight person...With Thai though, on the A380, it was a nice flight, could pay extra for a "better" seat upstairs, so I quite liked that flight...They are now though, using the 777. (at least for the mid-day flight!) from LHR. I have paid more for an "extra legroom" seat, (on the on the refurbed 777for both legs, so hopefully it will be an Ok ish flight...I am really looking forward to getting back out there though...been a long time!!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by valleywatch
In truth, I was really happy to get another flight, as I had "written off" ever getting a penny back from them!
!!
Always pay for your flights by credit card. that way you would always get your money back in the event of a cancellation or airline insolvency.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:37 am
kkl

Has anyone managed to re-route a half used precovid award ticket ? I was advised to call ROP during business hours to re-route and pay mileage difference
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
Has anyone managed to re-route a half used precovid award ticket ? I was advised to call ROP during business hours to re-route and pay mileage difference
That would seem a reasonable process, assuming you have the additional miles. Unfortunately others are reporting that the YQ tax has increased a lot!

Good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
My refund experience with TG.
I bought a ticket online in Feb 23.
Thai cancelled this flight and offered a different date, which I declined.
Thai confirmed a refund in early April.
So far, so good. (Apart from the "service fee", which they wanted to keep. What "service" did I get?)

Since then, I'm waiting.
My reminders where either ignored, or then handed to another department within Thai Airways, which seems to ignore them as well.
So I've now initiated a chargeback.

Is this the general behaviour of TG, or just an exception?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
It took me about half a year to get refunded. I almost lost hope but in the end it went through.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:58 am

Hi

I had two tickets booked with Thai for December 2022, just HKT to BKK, so not a lot of $$. We ended up cancelling over the phone. Tickets were always cancellable subject to z small fee but as there was also a schedule change agent said we could get the whole amount back. Great.

In February 2023 I got emails from TG saying "Refund Process Confirmed" with a date of August 31st 2023!

Still no sign of the refund even though. Too late for AMEX to help.

Any ideas whether it might appear at some point, or any suggestions on who to contact?

Thanks all

Last edited by MaxFlying; Sep 25, 2023 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call the Contact Centre in Bangkok.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Cancelled a TG ticket today. They said to expect 6 months to be credited. Let the countdown begin :-(
Old Oct 30, 2023, 2:06 am
kkl

Cancelled my half used pre-covid reward ticket as TG is currently not flying to PER in the near future.

I was informed my ticket validity is only up to 31/12/23. Started cancellation process. Miles refund 2-3 months, YQ up to 6 months. Original CC used for booking is cancelled. Need to provide new payment method etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.