Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Merged] Thai Airways Refund Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
@Richard1148 and @Pair124124 . How did you seek your refunds? Via the Contact Centre in Bangkok or through your local office?
I sent an email to this address which I found on some blog: [email protected]
The response, however came from this address: [email protected]
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:08 pm

As a datapoint, I am pleased to say I have got my refund this morning after 6 weeks.
joy16 and narvik like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Pair124124
As a datapoint, I am pleased to say I have got my refund this morning after 6 weeks.
Great news. Are you able to share the route and booked departure date? Curious if you were immediately affected or if this was a future booking. Cheers, TK
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:04 am

Great news. Are you able to share the route and booked departure date? Curious if you were immediately affected or if this was a future booking. Cheers, TK
Hi, it was a multi-city booking in the future. Outbound: LHR TO AKL (16JUN) Return: AKL - BKK (2 weeks in BKK) BKK - LHR

As Thai isn’t flying to AKL until 1 JUL they offered to change the date for free and put me in a hotel during the layover on my outbound (as TG917 is not operating until October so they would have to put me on TG911 with a 12H55 layover), however I had to decline as I would’ve missed 6 flights which would’ve been too expensive to change the dates for.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, it was a multi-city booking in the future. Outbound: LHR TO AKL (16JUN) Return: AKL - BKK (2 weeks in BKK) BKK - LHR

As Thai isn’t flying to AKL until 1 JUL they offered to change the date for free and put me in a hotel during the layover on my outbound (as TG917 is not operating until October so they would have to put me on TG911 with a 12H55 layover), however I had to decline as I would’ve missed 6 flights which would’ve been too expensive to change the dates for.
Cheers, similar to my situation paid Q with GUP2 to J AKL-BKK-AKL, with separately ticketed awards nested inside the longhaul for BKK-SIN-BKK and BKK-ICN-BKK.

All schedules have date or time adjustments that don’t suit, hence the refunds....
Old May 13, 2020, 6:54 am

Refund asked on 31 january, Got a confirmation mail at the end of february that claimed refund will take up to 45 days..
Now in May i got a second mail, that claims refunds take up to 6 months!!! Customer services ignore every Mail, impossible to reach them by phone!! If i dont hear anything from them this month, i will go to lawyer.
Avoid Thai Airways!
Old May 13, 2020, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allo
Refund asked on 31 january, Got a confirmation mail at the end of february that claimed refund will take up to 45 days..
Now in May i got a second mail, that claims refunds take up to 6 months!!! Customer services ignore every Mail, impossible to reach them by phone!! If i dont hear anything from them this month, i will go to lawyer.
Avoid Thai Airways!

If the flight was in the past and cancelled, then maybe you can make a credit card ‘chargeback’ with your bank.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just considering whether I should refund my FLEXI Q fare (refundable any time per fare conditions), or take the option to extend the validity as far as 31 Dec 2021.

The refund (partial or full) looks as if it could take 6 months - the flights are in Oct 2020, so only 5 months away.... The text on the THAI website reads:

Conditions

1. Not applicable for tickets purchased through travel agent in Europe and Australia New Zealand and Japan.
2. For sectors on your ticket involuntarily cancelled by THAI and THAI Smile when part of the ticket has already been used.
3. Refund amount will be settled by issuing office, issuing agent more than 180 days from submitting your request.
4. To refund your fully-unused ticket,please contact your issuing office.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:07 am

Just considering whether I should refund my FLEXI Q fare (refundable any time per fare conditions), or take the option to extend the validity as far as 31 Dec 2021.

The refund (partial or full) looks as if it could take 6 months - the flights are in Oct 2020, so only 5 months away.... The text on the THAI website reads:
I would refund it unless they are giving you the incentive of no additional fare difference even if the RBD you booked in isn’t available (as they were offering for a very short period in March). If you do not think you will be using that reservation in October your money is locked either way so it’s better to have it in your bank account as you can book the ticket again whenever you’re ready to fly. Plus making a fresh booking will probably be easier than getting through to an agent at THAI to rebook using the extended validity.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would refund it unless they are giving you the incentive of no additional fare difference even if the RBD you booked in isn’t available (as they were offering for a very short period in March). If you do not think you will be using that reservation in October your money is locked either way so it’s better to have it in your bank account as you can book the ticket again whenever you’re ready to fly. Plus making a fresh booking will probably be easier than getting through to an agent at THAI to rebook using the extended validity.
All sensible. Hate losing my Gold Upgrade though LOL
Old May 18, 2020, 1:50 am

All sensible. Hate losing my Gold Upgrade though LOL
I fully understand that. I'm sure the GUP I have booked for later this year won't go ahead and I'm hoping the flights and upgrade can be used on the same route for next year.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 11277m
I fully understand that. I'm sure the GUP I have booked for later this year won't go ahead and I'm hoping the flights and upgrade can be used on the same route for next year.
Update. I have applied to extend all my bookings to not later than Dec 2021. I have around only USD 1300 at stake ( my GUPed Q economy fare and some award flights) so iif TG fails, then well.....
Old May 23, 2020, 1:07 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Anyone have experience with award tickets issued before the devaluation in October where the flights have been cancelled now because of COCID-19?
Old May 25, 2020, 10:17 pm

Yep. For me it was an award ticket to ANA as well.
So yeah, new rate is absurd.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:14 pm

Flight was cancelled and refund requested on 17 March. Still nothing.

I initiated a chargeback a couple weeks ago but obviously it will be pending for a month and a half, until end of June.

Asked for an update from them directly and was told the same six month line as mentioned above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.